Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 ultra seat filling up with water  (Read 4265 times)

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
2014 ultra seat filling up with water
« on: May 19, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »

is anyone's seat foam filling up with water after washing or riding in the rain I never had this on any other bike

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: 2014 ultra seat filling up with water
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »

Sounds like a defect (rip, tear, etc.) in your seat. If you haven't already you may want to take it off, examine it really close to see if you can find the defect, and when you do notify your dealer immediately.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »

I called the dealer and he said take if off and put it in the sun it mite be a one time thing

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »

I called the dealer and he said take if off and put it in the sun it mite be a one time thing
That doesn't explain how it got in there ::)... good luck. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:59:36 PM »

LMAO...... Typical dealer comment, what the heck. Yup, one time for that and one time for the next time, lol.....etc./..etc...
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »

Make sure the radiator hoses are hooked up right....
Bill

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:57:39 AM »

So you buy a new house and the first time it rains, the basement fills up with water.  Then the realtor says "it might be a one time thing".  You'd probably punch the realtor.  Just sayin...   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »

On a cvo seat is there anything under the leather or just bare leather

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »

All bucket seats fill up with water if water are left on / in the seat.

It's not a defect, leather is not waterproof.  :drink:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »

All bucket seats fill up with water if water are left on / in the seat.

It's not a defect, leather is not waterproof.  :drink:

I don't know about that.  The leather on my body is pretty good at keeping fluids in that are supposed to be in, and other fluids out that are supposed to be out.  I can stand in a shower for what seems like an hour, or soak in a tub, and I don't gain an ounce.  So obviously my body isn't soaking up any water. ;)

The leather insert on a new seat should not allow enough moisture through to saturate the foam inside.  And of course the rest of the seat is vinyl so that shouldn't absorb water either.  The actual stitching is supposed to be treated for water resistance, but that might be the weak point of the entire thing.  If water is allowed to sit in the bucket of the seat for an extended period of time perhaps enough could get through to soak the foam, but I've never had that happen on my CVO seat and it's nine years old and has been caught out in a few rainstorms.

jimcb1, does water bead up on the seat or does it visibly soak into the seat?  If the materials were treated properly, the water should bead up.  If the foam is actually saturated with water, that is definitely NOT normal.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 11:12:02 PM »

On the Harley seats I have taken apart, under the leather or vinyl outer covering there is a thin plastic covering the foam.  Similar in thickness to a dry cleaner bag. The purpose of this plastic liner is to waterproof the foam.  Since you are saying the foam is soaked jimcb1, my guess is either: A. the plastic underlner is compromised with a hole or a tear or B. it is not there at all.

In any event, your dealer is feeding you BS.  If they continue with this line of crap, call the Mothership in Milwaukee & tell your tale to Customer Service.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »

Well are you stitched together or a solid piece of leather?  It will leak where it's is stitched together.

I don't know about that.  The leather on my body is pretty good at keeping fluids in that are supposed to be in, and other fluids out that are supposed to be out.  I can stand in a shower for what seems like an hour, or soak in a tub, and I don't gain an ounce.  So obviously my body isn't soaking up any water. ;)

The leather insert on a new seat should not allow enough moisture through to saturate the foam inside.  And of course the rest of the seat is vinyl so that shouldn't absorb water either.  The actual stitching is supposed to be treated for water resistance, but that might be the weak point of the entire thing.  If water is allowed to sit in the bucket of the seat for an extended period of time perhaps enough could get through to soak the foam, but I've never had that happen on my CVO seat and it's nine years old and has been caught out in a few rainstorms.

jimcb1, does water bead up on the seat or does it visibly soak into the seat?  If the materials were treated properly, the water should bead up.  If the foam is actually saturated with water, that is definitely NOT normal.

Jerry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 02:24:11 PM »

Well are you stitched together or a solid piece of leather?  It will leak where it's is stitched together.

I think I said that.  And if the seat was in fact treated during manufacture, the seams should be somewhat sealed, at least initially.  It's up to the customer to continue treatments after the sale.

As iski mentioned, older seats have a plastic sheet covering the foam that would also prevent the foam from becoming saturated.  Unless Harley eliminated that to cut costs, and that wouldn't surprise me with the current bunch of jokers running the company, I'd suggest that plastic is likely missing.  Regardless, the seat foam becoming saturated is definitely NOT typical or normal, and if allowed to continue over time it will lead to nasty stuff like deterioration of the foam and mold growing in the foam.

Jerry

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:03:05 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »

I think I said that.  And if the seat was in fact treated during manufacture, the seams should be somewhat sealed, at least initially.  It's up to the customer to continue treatments after the sale.

As iski mentioned, older seats have a plastic sheet covering the foam that would also prevent the foam from becoming saturated.  Unless Harley eliminated that to cut costs, and that wouldn't surprise me with the current bunch of jokers running the company, I'd suggest that plastic is likely missing.  Regardless, the seat foam becoming saturated is definitely NOT typical or normal, and if allowed to continue over time it will lead to nasty stuff like deterioration of the foam and mold growing in the foam.

Jerry

Jerry

Jerry, if 3.4 square feet (an estimate) of 1.5 mil plastic costs $.05, and you produce 300,000 bikes a year, your savings would be $15,000.  Some of your customers will get a wet ass when riding in the rain or after washing their bikes, so what.  You have saved enough to buy 3 brand new 80" tvs for the Milwaukee executive washroom.  Sounds like a win-win.   ;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.