Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Bent Frame - What are my options???  (Read 8880 times)

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited, FLHTKSE
Re: Bent Frame - What are my options???
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »

Our youngest daughter is getting married this weekend. The last thing I need is to have my wife show up at my daughter's wedding with a cast on her leg from a motorcycle accident. What was I thinking!!?! :oops:

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »

I think SADunbar is right; The most critical points to measure should be the swing arm pivot mount pads (those 1-3/8 holes, NOT the swing arm pivot bolt) and the steering neck.
These would have to be the most tightly controlled aspects in manufacture. You'd have to assume that the tolerances for the relationship between these points would be the tightest on the entire frame. The exact location of the holes drilled for the engine guard mount and the rear frame extension would certainly not be treated as critically.
You'd have to imagine that the frame is built on a jig starting with on these three points.
A true measurement of the steering head's angle and orientation would probably require full removal of the fork.
Was the frame perfectly level side-to-side during the 'plumbing'?

I can't guess how the dealer determines whether a frame is officially bent but I would expect some sort of jig or gauge.

As an aside on a point repeated elsewhere... the dealer doesn't determine whether the bike is a "total", only the insurance company will determine that. The dealer has influence, of course, in estimating repair costs and deciding what needs to be included, but they don't actually get to tell the insurance company "you have to total this". The owner also can't make that decision; he can request, negotiate, make noise about it or take 'em to court.
The insurance company has the money and (barring court decisions) THEY ultimately decide how to use it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:15:45 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »

Guess I'd better hope I'm dealing with reasonable people. I'm not going to let them stick me with $15K of deprecation due to someone else's negligence.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »

You are on the right track for the measurements. To get a real idea of things it would require some disassembly.

I would not even consider doing that and let the dealer take care of it. As it has already been said if it was me, I would like to be present for the checking of the frame, if there is any question that they are not going to total it.

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 08:28:09 PM »

Took it down to the dealer this evening. I had it on cruise control at around 65 MPH and took my hands off the handlebar the the bike tooled straight down the road, which is a good sign. I reviewed my measurements with the Harley service department and they are going to take a serious look at it. Fortunately the sales manager happened to sell me my Heritage ten years ago so we know each other. I was wondering what happened to him. Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep this thread posted on what happens.

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »

Visited the Harley shop this afternoon. The parts are in and they're working on it. They are replacing the back frame. I plan to repeat my measurements when I get it back in my garage. Should have it by Friday!

King2013

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 12:15:31 AM »

Wow, that was fast.
Might just be me but, I'd be worried about the depreciation after needing that kind of repair work.
Same thing happens with cars, even though they fixed it you lose x amount more on resale value because of the accident and the insurance company gets to walk away saying we fixed it and that's all we had to do, leaving you stuck holding the empty bag.
Should be a law that says the insurance company should also remedy the resale lose due to the accident, this way if they choose to do major repairs instead of totaling it to save a few bucks it wouldn't be at our expense.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »

Visited the Harley shop this afternoon. The parts are in and they're working on it. They are replacing the back frame. I plan to repeat my measurements when I get it back in my garage. Should have it by Friday!

What is defined as the "back frame"?  The portion behind the frame section illustrated in the diagram you provided earlier?  Or something else?   

:nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »

Wow, that was fast.
Might just be me but, I'd be worried about the depreciation after needing that kind of repair work.
Same thing happens with cars, even though they fixed it you lose x amount more on resale value because of the accident and the insurance company gets to walk away saying we fixed it and that's all we had to do, leaving you stuck holding the empty bag.
Should be a law that says the insurance company should also remedy the resale lose due to the accident, this way if they choose to do major repairs instead of totaling it to save a few bucks it wouldn't be at our expense.
My Dealer (I would think that they all do) replaces all damaged components with Harley parts, so the bike is as good or better than new.
If the frame requires replacing, then they cut the neck out and send it back to H-D and the new frame has the original vin. No depreciation...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

King2013

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »

My Dealer (I would think that they all do) replaces all damaged components with Harley parts, so the bike is as good or better than new.
If the frame requires replacing, then they cut the neck out and send it back to H-D and the new frame has the original vin. No depreciation...
Sorry but I would not purchase a bike that was in a wreck and needed extensive work and if I even thought about it, it would be for pennies on the dollar of the actual value.
There will be a huge loss In the resale value.
They do the same thing with cars, a small fender bender cost me 1k on a trade-in.
As soon as they pulled carfax they changed the value of my trade.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 08:41:12 PM »

Sorry but I would not purchase a bike that was in a wreck and needed extensive work and if I even thought about it, it would be for pennies on the dollar of the actual value.
There will be a huge loss In the resale value.
They do the same thing with cars, a small fender bender cost me 1k on a trade-in.
As soon as they pulled carfax they changed the value of my trade.

This is worth a discussion with your insurance company.....you had a new bike $$$$ now you have a wrecked/repaired new bike$$.

This happened to me on new Lexus...hail damage...got $1250 for reduced value.... :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.