Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Almost tipped it over.  (Read 2630 times)

Trans am

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: Burgundy blaze and typhoon maroon. Limited Scoot is its name.
Almost tipped it over.
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »

Stopped to see buddy today at his house,  he was cutting grass.   I pulled into the driveway way as he came my way and out my foot down and poof.  What I failed to pay attention to was the grass on the driveway (it was dry grass).  Damn near dumped it over.         Please pay attention to anything on the ground.   

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

• CVO1: '13 CVO Road King, 100th Anniv FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: '13 Camaro
    • CVO3: F250 Super Duty
Re: Almost tipped it over.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »

we are glad that you do not dump it over! "...that would not have been good" (says Capt obvious)   :)
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

BigD2112

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 12:33:54 AM »

I feel your pain.....glad you and the bike are safe....these bikes are heavy.  Glad you caught it before it was to the point of no return
2014 CVO Limited
2009 XR1200
2012 Challenger SRT8

MDW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 05:42:41 PM »

Mine tipped over to the left by accident.  My passenger was getting on the bike without telling me and my attention and hands were not on the bike and they stepped on the left peg and down it came.  Needless to say I was surprised that there was zero damage done to the bike.  The left foot peg and rear bars stopped it at ~45 degree angle.  I lifted it up -- heavy beast -- using the way I learned watching youtube.  Inspected the heck out of it and no damage at all.  Took it in to the dealer to have them check it out and all was fine.  Not sure it would have the same results if it were to fall to the right side and hope to never find out.  This thing is very top heavy and does not take much for the weight to kick in.
Mike
2014 CVO Limited

hawkeye4jw

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »

Tipped mine over this spring in the garage moving it around getting it ready for spring. Bumped the kick stand and when I went to put it on the kickstand it folded up and down the bike went. Was able to keep it from slamming down and it rested on the crash bars. They did their job. Backed up to it and got it back up on its wheels. Luckily no damage either.

Ride Safe
 Jack

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »

Mine tipped over to the left by accident.  My passenger was getting on the bike without telling me and my attention and hands were not on the bike and they stepped on the left peg and down it came.  Needless to say I was surprised that there was zero damage done to the bike.  The left foot peg and rear bars stopped it at ~45 degree angle.  I lifted it up -- heavy beast -- using the way I learned watching youtube.  Inspected the heck out of it and no damage at all.  Took it in to the dealer to have them check it out and all was fine.  Not sure it would have the same results if it were to fall to the right side and hope to never find out.  This thing is very top heavy and does not take much for the weight to kick in.

I had the exact same thing happen once, that was the last ride for that particular passenger. To make it worse, it was in front of a crowded restaurant so I had an audience. I was still straddling the bike when it stopped moving, anger and embarrassment fueled adrenaline kicked in and I had it back upright in a second.

srnoyes

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »

There is nothing like a dump of adrenalin after dropping your baby to help you with it's quick recovery. First time I did this I was by my self and I was still embarrassed and pissed at myself.
2014 CVO Limited - Present
2009 Road King Classic 2009-2014
1991 Yamaha Virago 1991-1993
1983 Yamaha Maxim 1983-1989

Doniwin

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 XL1200 Custom
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »

When I first got the cvo limited the passenger foot boards were all the way forward and everytime I stopped they would hit the back of my legs. This was unsettling because I was not used to the top heavy feeling of the bike. I was pleased to find from the manual that they were adjustable. Now with over 1,400 miles ridden I'm very comfortable with my ride.  :coolblue:

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.