Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Transmission Dip-stick  (Read 6401 times)

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
Transmission Dip-stick
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:40:54 PM »

Can anyone tell me the McMaster-Carr part number for the transmission dip-stick on a 2009 seuc?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Transmission Dip-stick
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »

No idea.  Would be surprised if M-C even had a direct replacement.  If you need it the Harley part # 62849-07A and the o-ring is 11120.  Both pieces together less than $30.00

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »

Thank you Twolanerider my dip stick is OK I just need to order drain plug o rings and thought if anyone had the number for the dip stick o ring I would get them also. Thanks again

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »

I see now in my first post I forgot to say I needed the o ring my bad sorry for the confusion!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:41:46 AM »

I see now in my first post I forgot to say I needed the o ring my bad sorry for the confusion!!!

Got it, now it makes perfect sense.  You've got an alternative.  Lowes and Home Depot and places like Ace Hardware or even good farm supply stores have o-rings.  So do most auto parts stores.  Take your old one to the kid at the parts counter and ask him to bring his o-ring assortment tray up from behind the counter.  Grab a few while you're getting stuff for the next oil change.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 02:41:56 AM »

CircleRacer, be careful not to overtighten the trans dip stick o rings. They tend to tear or deteriorate a lot quicker then you would expect. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »

If I tighten it down just until it won't leak and remove it the o ring will be torn. I just look for leaks if I don't have any leaks I do not remove it. I use Amsoil 75W110 gear oil and change the oil every 10,000 miles, the oil comes out as clean as it goes in. I probably could run it longer but oil is cheap!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

If I tighten it down just until it won't leak and remove it the o ring will be torn. I just look for leaks if I don't have any leaks I do not remove it. I use Amsoil 75W110 gear oil and change the oil every 10,000 miles, the oil comes out as clean as it goes in. I probably could run it longer but oil is cheap!!

Check for any rough surface that may be causing the O-ring to be torn.  I had that problem on the drain plugs for the trans and engine oil years ago, and cleaning up the little burrs left by H-D helped eliminate the problem.  It also helps to lubricate the O-rings with a little clean oil when you install the plugs or dipstick/filler cap, kind of like how you lubricate a new oil filter seal with clean oil before you install it..  If you install them dry they are much more likely to tear, either when installing them or after the O-ring becomes stuck after thousands of miles of heat.

It helps if you can also find a better grade of O-ring and get fresh ones, not the stuff that's been on the dealer's shelf since 1989. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »

Besides the dealer like everything else they sell thinks their o-rings are worth three or four times what everyone else. Don is right, you can buy a whole box full for what HD wants for a few. As Hubbard says "there endeth the lesson"

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »

I always oil the o ring I just have not taken the time to remove the burr I know that is sad because I got the scooter new and it is a 09 with almost 52,000 miles on it. I am going to measure the o ring and get a Vinton or silicone o ring and remove the burr
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:45:46 AM by CircleRacer »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

I always oil the o ring I just have not taken the time to remove the burr I know that is sad because I got the scooter new and it is a 09 with almost 52,000 miles on it. I am going to measure the o ring and get a Vinton or silicone o ring and remove the burr

I know, Vinton was a typo but it just struck me funny.  Then realized "Viton on Vinton" almost sounds like a real album title :huepfenlol2: .

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »

:confused5:
"It helps if you can also find a better grade of O-ring and get fresh ones, not the stuff that's been on the dealer's shelf since 1989."

:-\  Jerry,  Have you not considered the extra value of "NOS"................New old stock. :cherry:

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »

:confused5:
 :-\  Jerry,  Have you not considered the extra value of "NOS"................New old stock. :cherry:

Not to answer for Jerry, but pretty sure he has considered the extra value, and decided (realized?) that all of it goes to the dealer...straight from our wallets.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 04:56:13 PM »

Sorry I dropped off the topic so fast Sunday I laid my bike down road rash on both arms and left knee left ankle swollen way up glad I always wear a helmet no broken bones wife road rash on one arm both knees swelled up real big we are home and on good pain pills. I don't know how bad scooter is yet I will let you know

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »

Sorry I dropped off the topic so fast Sunday I laid my bike down road rash on both arms and left knee left ankle swollen way up glad I always wear a helmet no broken bones wife road rash on one arm both knees swelled up real big we are home and on good pain pills. I don't know how bad scooter is yet I will let you know
Damn what happened? Get well!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »

:oops:
To be sure,  we're all sorry you went down.  Hope you and the wife are able to recover quickly and without any lingering problems.

::)  tried to get a charge out of Jerry........re: (fresh o rings) versus New Old Stock...........He didn't bite. :cherry:

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »

I use copper crush gaskets like the ones my Nissan uses. Never replaced yet. Over 8yrs on the same one.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 09:00:54 AM »

::)  tried to get a charge out of Jerry........re: (fresh o rings) versus New Old Stock...........He didn't bite. :cherry:

Old stock to the dealer but brand spanking new to the customer, right? ;D   Back when I still bought a lot of parts from dealers I often got a real chuckle when they would bring out a box from the back with a half inch of dust on it and I'd ask them if the high price reflected the antique status of the part.  Doesn't really matter that much with hard parts, unless the part has been revised a few times since the old dusty one was made, but things like rubber parts and gaskets I prefer nice fresh ones.  Installing parts that are already cracking from age always seemed a bit counterproductive to me for some reason. :nixweiss:

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.