Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing pins from connector to the Throttle Body  (Read 6758 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Replacing pins from connector to the Throttle Body
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »

I went to the local dealership to purchase the connector that goes into the throttle body. I have an 08 and still have the service bulletin that Jerry emailed me that addressed the fretting pins and how to clean & service them.  Well it's been cleaned and had the dielectric grease installed numerous times.  The parts guy told me you don't need to buy the whole wire harness you just need to purchase the male pins and replace the.  I have no idea if this is true or not.  I'm replacing my twist grip & sensor since I have been going into limp mode way to often.  I was holding off until winter so I could purchase the one with the longer wires so when I change the handle bars I won't have to get the extension kit.  I may just purchase the longer one anyway and just cut the connectors off and solder them.  Has anyone replaced the pins going to the throttle body?  They have a 20% sale tomorrow so I will pick up a few things while I'm there. 

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: Replacing pins from connector to the Throttle Body
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:46:14 PM »

I have replaced many pins but not these particular ones (male pins going into TB). They were replaced however, on my motorcycle at a HD dealer under warranty when I went into limp mode on a trip and I was several thousand miles from home. I have had no problems since. If you have the right crimping tool it shouldn't be much of a problem. I buy all my various male and female pins in bulk from the OEM manufacturer at a fraction of the cost that HD charges. For example, HD charges about $1 per pin and when I buy the identical product from the manufacturer rep I pay maybe $.06 to $.08 per pin when buying 100 or more. I'm not sure what you are talking about by cutting the wires and soldering. I have read that it is not recommended to cut the twist grip sensor wires or extend them. That is why several years ago HD made the twist grip sensor wires longer so those who want to put taller handle bars on don't have to extend these.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »

I purchased the set of pins and you are correct they are about $1.00 each.  I just can't find a copy of an illustrated diagram of the throttle body.   I was referring to soldering the wires & installing a new female connector that attaches to the pins on the throttle body vs. purchasing a new harness.  That way I will have replaced all the parts for a better connection.  I'll get it done this winter when I change my bars again.  Can't seem to get info on this one right now. 

Thanks

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 12:55:21 PM »

Just a thought.

Was checking out a couple of 2014 CVO water heads yesterday.

Notice that they now installed a rubber boot cover for the connection plug.

Not sure if they will fit older baggers. But it's looks good and may help out with the life of the plug.

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »

I did notice the new rubber covering on the connector to the throttle body on the newer bikes.  I cleaned up the pins again and loaded di-electric grease and taped the connector female section real tight (again) and then I snapped it back into place.  This winter I will replace the throttle actuator assembly, the male pins to the throttle body and solder the wires & shrink wrap and install a new female connector and install that piece you are talking about.  I still have not had a reply on replacing the pins, they are only about $.80 each but once they have some wear they need to be replaced.  I guess I'm the only one that has to get it done.  One thing I do is when I'm washing the bike is I cover the open air cleaner and the throttle pin area real good with a plastic bag and elastics.  I also install a small filler piece for the opening in-between the gas tank and the frame.  That open area lets water in and can lead to premature ignition switch failure, on Road Kings.  I believe that washing a bike too often while using high pressure to wash or dry has the possibility of forcing moisture where it doesn't belong.  At least mine did.  I try to protect what I can but sometimes the MOCO parts just fail anyway.  Since I'm not getting a response on the pin replacement I can only assume that it has not been done by owners on this Forum.  I'll try HPI & S&S that rebuild throttle bodies.   I have a 66mm and I'm betting they used the old pins for the new throttle body.     

Thanks

nate186

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 09:28:38 AM »

Any ideas on replacing the male pins at the throttle body? Do I remove the throttle body or can I do it without removing the throttle body? Thanks

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

I did notice the new rubber covering on the connector to the throttle body on the newer bikes.  I cleaned up the pins again and loaded di-electric grease and taped the connector female section real tight (again) and then I snapped it back into place.  This winter I will replace the throttle actuator assembly, the male pins to the throttle body and solder the wires & shrink wrap and install a new female connector and install that piece you are talking about.  I still have not had a reply on replacing the pins, they are only about $.80 each but once they have some wear they need to be replaced.  I guess I'm the only one that has to get it done.  One thing I do is when I'm washing the bike is I cover the open air cleaner and the throttle pin area real good with a plastic bag and elastics.  I also install a small filler piece for the opening in-between the gas tank and the frame.  That open area lets water in and can lead to premature ignition switch failure, on Road Kings.  I believe that washing a bike too often while using high pressure to wash or dry has the possibility of forcing moisture where it doesn't belong.  At least mine did.  I try to protect what I can but sometimes the MOCO parts just fail anyway.  Since I'm not getting a response on the pin replacement I can only assume that it has not been done by owners on this Forum.  I'll try HPI & S&S that rebuild throttle bodies.   I have a 66mm and I'm betting they used the old pins for the new throttle body.     

Thanks

Replace all of them in a buddy's '09 SG. Think  there is  a TSB  out on that. Might check HTT also, pretty simple process, been 3 yrs since we did his. It started doing weird stuff and acting like it was the throttle control rheostat. Knew it wasn't that because we just changed it out. Slipped the new pins in..all good
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.