Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two months and 2200 miles with a 14 SE Limited  (Read 4246 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Two months and 2200 miles with a 14 SE Limited
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »

I know it is not a lot of miles or time but thought I would share a few thoughts on the 14 SE Limited in no particular order.  Some of you may be thinking of a 14 or 15.. If you don't want to read all the way to the end, the 14 does about everything better than my 10 SEUC..

Engine-In stock form (for 200 miles) or with the Fullsac DX pipe, stock mufflers/baffles, TTS Fullsac tune-this bike justs likes to run.  Have no idea about the hp/torque numbers but roll on the throttle and it goes.  Gas mileage is in the mid 40's..  You still feel the heat on the right leg but is much better than the 10.

Handlebars/seat-Changed to reach bars and Corbin/Mustang on the 05 and 10..  The 14 stock bars work well with the stock seat.  Seat is probably as good as the MOCO has put out on a stock bike.  Daughter likes seat it as she sits up and over my head instead of looking to the side. Will see how it wears/lasts.  I'm 6'1" 32" inseam.  Since the Corbin and Mustang's I have seat you back, these handlebars will not work if I ever put those seats on.  I do prefer the sitting back of the Corbins/Mustangs but have adjusted to this stock seat thus far.

Heated grips-work way better than the 10 grips and better than the Heat Demons on the 05..  Hope they last.  10's crapped out after 3 years.

Windshield-Stock shield was correct height but was optically incorrect/distorted-just cheap.  Put on the same height 10" Freedom Shield with recurve and it is about 1/2" taller and wider.  Now I can easily ride with my 3/4 Arai helmet with the visor up at speed and the visor doesn't flip down.

Aerodynamics/vent-Some bugs/debris will go over/around you like you are actually cutting thru the air.  Front end/handlebars are stable at speed.  I get no turbulence/buffeting on the back side of the windshield.  The whole fairing design works.   More enjoyable to ride.  I have never ridden a Roadglide but this bike just tracks different that my 05 or 10-much better.

Front forks/shocks-I had Traxxion's on the 05 and 10 and will leave the front forks alone.  I had Works shocks on the rear and had them on the 05, 10, and now this bike (same shocks).

Horn-From the parts manual the horn part number ends in 97 or so (not a new part #) but is louder than my 05 or 10 horn that I put the minibeast on those 2 bikes.  Leaving stock horn on.

Mufflers-The 14 mufflers look the same as the 10 but the baffles of the 14 are noticeably louder.
Sound is just right for me with stock baffles and Fullsac DX pipe (DX came off the 10).

Brakes-Stops better than the 05 or 10..

Front fender-I know this sounds odd but the streamlined lower front fender (without flares) I believe helps stabilize the bike and cut thru the air.  The flares on my 10's front fender seemed to howl sometimes when the air hit the bike at certain angles.

Clutch-I like the slipper clutch or whatever they call it.

Radio-I believe FM was reception was better on the 10..  The XM is at least useable since putting the antennae behind the windshield by the vent button.  Have never used the GPS or Bluetooth. 

Instruments/controls-I like the switches and gauges.  Moving the turnsignal indicators to the fuel and volt gauges is a plus instead of having them in the center of the dash.   All the switches can be intimidating at first but just keep pushing them until you see what is happening.

Saddlebags/tourpack-Latches are nice.  Have caught myself at least once trying to open a saddlebag the old way on the outside of the bag as in 13 and older bags.  The bags seem smaller in height but the lids are higher/domed than the older ones.

Wiring-My 05 bike's wiring was terrible.  The 10's bike was better laid out but lacking.  The 14 wiring looks like something the auto industry would put out.  Remove the seat or fairing and you will see everything nicely routed. Oddities like this mean something to me.

Outer Fairing-is a lot easier to remove with no screws between the forks.

As you can tell, right now I am quite happy with the 14.  Time will tell if the lifters, compensator, etc fail as in the past.  This will be a costly bike to maintain if you have to start buying radiators, cooling fans, etc as these bikes are a lot more complex.  Even a Body Control Module could be a high cost repair if it went bad.  Haven't had these on previous bikes either.

Until my accident of the 10, I liked the 14's but had no intention of trading bikes as to me, the 10 was a keeper.  It did everything I needed it to do.  I put a lot of money in it getting it to that point.  If I had traded it in on a 14, I would have easily paid $18K difference with tax.  In saying all I have said, this 14 is not $18K better than my 10 trade in wise (but is a heck of a lot more bike when you consider the 10 was $36,500 and this 14 was $39,500)..  You can buy a lot of nice things for $40K but most of us have the most fun on a motorcycle.  It is the nicest bike HD has put out (until the 15's came out)..  Only you can decide if it is worth it.  Hope this helps someone.     

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Two months and 2200 miles with a 14 SE Limited
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:46:21 AM »

Glad this all worked out for you...  You never know how an accident will resolve itself.  Some move away from riding, but most turn their bad experience into a new chapter.  You sound like you made a great choice with your new ride and are enjoying the heck out if it!  That's a real good thing...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »

Horn-From the parts manual the horn part number ends in 97 or so (not a new part #) but is louder than my 05 or 10 horn that I put the minibeast on those 2 bikes.  Leaving stock horn on.

Believe this is the horn you are talking about (came stock on bikes starting in '14)....

Loud Side-Mount Horn Kit-69060-90H

Get Noticed! Ride with increased confidence with a loud horn that will grab everyone's attention.
Engineered to be 5 dB louder (at 2 meters) than the '13-earlier Original Equipment side-mounted horn.
Designed to be a plug-in replacement that is easy to install
Horn is stock on '14 models equipped with side-mount horns
Fits with all H-D® side mount horn covers

And I agree this is the loudest horn that I have found that is a direct replacement for (prior years) stock horn... I heard one and put it on my bike. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »

Gary you are the man!  Thanks for the link.  Glad you like it too.  Between GRC doing the technical and you the research, we lack for nothing on CVO Harley.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »

Glad this all worked out for you...  You never know how an accident will resolve itself.  Some move away from riding, but most turn their bad experience into a new chapter.  You sound like you made a great choice with your new ride and are enjoying the heck out if it!  That's a real good thing...   :2vrolijk_21:

Now if Boatman would only make an attempt to learn how to use the GPS..... ;D

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »

Boatman Very good write up I am walking very good now after my wreck on July 20, 2014. I also wear the 3/4 Aria helmet and will get a new one now because it hit the road hard I am glad I had it on. I had no plans of ever getting rid of my 09 EGSE but now that it is wrecked and I want to keep riding, I will go with a 14 or 15 Limited CVO I am disappointed in the color choice of the 15 I will have to see them in person before I get a 15. Do you know of any 15 Limited CVOs in our area yet?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »

No, I don't know who has 15 limiteds in ohio.  Should be several 14's left. Happy you are healing and will be riding again soon.

hutch4

• IL

• CVO1: 2014 Limited CVO
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »

I have a '14 CVO Limited, also. I couldn't agree more with your review. I had a '12 CVO Ultra but I like '14 much better. Hutch

waynel

• Hippie
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2014 Electra Glide Limited
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »

Same here. I had a 2011.5 and thought it was awesome till I got my 2014.. This bike rocks in every way. :bananarock:

dwille1498

• IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE
    • CVO3: TBD
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »

I was just telling my wife last night....as much as I loved my 2011 CVO RG, My 2014 Limited....wow!

flibb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »

i agree i had 09 cvo ultra an 12 sg then bought this 14 cvo limited .   night and day better
well except for the radio that works like crap and the cb and intercom that doesn't work.. lol but the bike rides and handles better than any bike i have ridden.   love it

2008 rocker c, 2003 fatboy, 2015 rgu

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed report.  Very helpful!

:2vrolijk_21:

Doniwin

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 XL1200 Custom
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »

I agree, best riding Harley ever, 2014 cvo Limited.  ;D

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 21 queries.