Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: HD website says "NO" to XM, NIM, CB, and BAMI on SESG2  (Read 7198 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
HD website says "NO" to XM, NIM, CB, and BAMI on SESG2
« on: December 01, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »

NativTexan, TIF2, and others have encountered issues adding various audio/electronic accessories to their SESG2's that weren't problematical on the SESG.  Apparently, these problems with the SESG2 accepting popular add-ons (XM, Navigation Interface Module, etc.) have caused the MOCO to modify the information on their website P&A listing from that previously published in the 2011 paper P&A catalog.  A comparison of the paper catalog's fitment information and website information reveals the contradictions between the two.  There are "work arounds" for the non-fitment issues, but these popular accessories are not the "plug and play" add-ons they are on the SESG and other bikes. 

For example, there is no XM exclusion for the SESG2 in the paper catalog at page 627, but there is a stated exclusion of XM for the SESG2 on the website:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768275&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290635&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290635&bmUID=1291221783803&bmLocale=en_US

No exclusion of CB in paper catalog at page 629, but website exclusion of CB:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768274&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290635&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290635&bmUID=1291221942964&bmLocale=en_US

No exclusion of Navigation Interface Module in paper catalog at page 623, but website exclusion of NIM:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448775819&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290635&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290635&bmUID=1291222018090&bmLocale=en_US

No exclusion of Boom Audio Music and Intercom kit, 77108-09A in paper catalog at page 628, but website exclusion of BAMI:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448774053&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290635&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290635&bmUID=1291222155016&bmLocale=en_US

Carl

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
Re: HD website says "NO" to XM, NIM, CB, and BAMI on SESG2
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »

I find this amazing that HD would have screwed this up so much....they should be concerned about law suits from false advertising...
2018 CVO StreetGlide

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »

You have a sharp eye Carl    :2vrolijk_21:
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:38:38 PM »

Dave, my interest in the SESG2 audio started with reading about the fairing lower speakers (an HD first) and the in-fairng amp (another HD first) and becoming familiar enough with the system (at least from wiring diagrams and parts book) to consider using them on my '04.  Reading about how NativTexan and one or two others had problems using the CB, and my own dealer's problems installing the NIM on an SESG2 led to doing some simple comparisons which are listed above.

Somebody or team dropped the ball at HD when the website states that common accessories that can be installed on a non-CVO Street Glide can't be installed on the SESG2.

Posted the information as a "heads-up."

Carl

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »

Dave, my interest in the SESG2 audio started with reading about the fairing lower speakers (an HD first) and the in-fairng amp (another HD first) and becoming familiar enough with the system (at least from wiring diagrams and parts book) to consider using them on my '04.  Reading about how NativTexan and one or two others had problems using the CB, and my own dealer's problems installing the NIM on an SESG2 led to doing some simple comparisons which are listed above.

Somebody or team dropped the ball at HD when the website states that common accessories that can be installed on a non-CVO Street Glide can't be installed on the SESG2.

Posted the information as a "heads-up."

Carl

Just want to say that I, for one, appreciated this "heads up" since I am going to do the XM install on my SESG2 over the winter and will be adding that infamous 6B connector. I'm guessing I will need to remove the IPOD wires from the exisiting 35 pin connector that is on the bike now and insert them in the appropriate spots in the overlay harness connector. Sounds right?

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 12:58:19 AM »

Sounds right.  If you haven't already done so, check the wiring diagrams for the XM and ipod interface modules in the appropriate wiring diagrams for the other 2011 CVO's, and the non-Ultra and simply replicate what they show for the 35-wire connector for your application.  If you like, you can check the wire assignments for every slot in the 35-wire connector among the various models and find that the assignments are the same for the pinouts of the HK radio for all models, but some go unused because of the absence of a particular add-on; e.g. Ipod pinouts aren't used on the FLHTCUSE6, for example.

Carl

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum a.k.a Jack Sparrow
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:47:06 AM »

I feel for you all that this will affect.    :soapbox:

Cannot for the life of me see why the head unit could not have sat nav built in or why there's no simple connection for CB or other. 

On a different matter:

I purchased a universal fitting brake disc lock only to find they won't work on the floating calipers 2000 miles away when it was needed. So, it's only $50 but why wouldn't someone just try it out on all discs beforehand?

You would think they'd test, test and test.  Oh chit NO, that's what the german and japanese manufacturers tell us they do.  And most of the time they do.

HD owners just appear to put up with the disappointment - what's up with that?  Easy, we forgive a manufacturer with heritage, a unique product and a long cycle, heart pulling buying decision that makes no sense when you stack their product up against another motorcycle manufacturer. 

It's a true love / hate relationship that we all fall for. 

Spiced Rum 100% stock. just as it left the factory and that's what my good lady thinks too!

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 07:59:07 AM »

I think all are doable ... it just takes some creativity  :)

My plan moving forward will be to get the wiring diagrams from the FLTRUSE and mimic the pinouts for connector 28B. Seeing that the bike comes with every new accessory (NIM, iPod) the wiring has to be correct. Buy the overlay harness, move the iPod pins over, wire in the NIM. Only other challenge will be reloacating the iPod module and the amp. IPod module will be no big deal, simply purchase the mounting bracket that would come with the ipod kit if purchased as a P&A. Moving the amp may be a bit more difficult, but I am just going to replace it with a better aftermarket unit. I'll run XM from the 665 but will probably move the iPod module anyway to facilitate installing the new amp.

I may just go an even easier route and purchase the 28B harness from a FLRTUSE - dunno if that is feasable as I haven't looked into it yet. Seems logical though - as everything is on an intermediate connector should just be able to remove the stock iPod cable from SESG2 (35 pin) and replace it with the harness from the FLRTUSE.

My bike ships on 01/05 (maybe :) ) so I'll dig into it shortly thereafter.
I'll diagram all progress via pics - hopefully can do a how to for all of this.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:22:39 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

DSloane

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • Intrevention Partner, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »

So, is there a NIM or a way for me to use a Zumo 665 with my FLHXSE2?  I'm a bit lost  :nixweiss: with this thread being the simple minded  ??? guy that I am ... If so, can someone provide me with what I need to buy and how to install.  I have the 2011 touring and CVO service manuals if one of the schematics there has the info please just direct me to the specific diagram.

cahokiacarl

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »

kinda makes you wonder if harley even knows anything about their cvo's page 37 of fall 2010HOG Enthusiat says they all come standard with xm except the softail

dos_topes

• 2011 FLHXSE2 - Black Diamond and Inferno Orange
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 11:52:11 AM »

For the Zummo, all you need is the patch cord to connect the Zummo to your auxilliary input on the face of the radio.  You can get that at radio shack for less than $10.00

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »

For the Zummo, all you need is the patch cord to connect the Zummo to your auxilliary input on the face of the radio.  You can get that at radio shack for less than $10.00

Whew...Looks like my Zumo 665 will be ok too dsloane. :2vrolijk_21:

jcd520

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »

Not going to say that all the posts about xm are not true , but I just got my 2011 flhxse2 and Marvin @ proteam hd in Lawton Ok, put the xm module on my bike right on top(velcro) of the ipod module and said it was no big deal at all. It fits fine, works fine and has no problems whatsoever. Call him if you are having trouble and I am sure he will walk you right through it. He got the proper parts and how to directly from a guy he knows at the factory to fix the missing plug issue and said it was a piece of cake and didn't even take long to do. CD

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »

From my perspective I don't egt why every CVO Touring model doesn't come pre-wired so that any accessory would be a simple plug and play. Crazy what they get for these bikes to have to go through extra wiring steps to add P&A electronics. ok ... off my soap box now  :)

I can't wait for a problem to arise with CB, NIM, XM, or any other electronic P&A accessory on an SESG2. I can hear HD now - "Unfortunately, we won't cover warranty issue because we told you it wasn't compatible with your model of motorcycle".

I'm still leaning towards buying the CVO Road Glide Ultra overlay harness - it's about twice as much as the NUOH but everything is already there (comes with additional stuff that I have no interest in like the rear amp connector for the rigid mount Tour Pak). Still researching it out but seems like it is a full replacement for the iPod connection on 28A (35 pin connector) and is pre-wired for everything else (NIM, CB, Headsets, XM, rears speaker pods, etc).
TIF2

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »

Providing the "missing" 6A connector for the SESG2 is described in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56934.msg815238

TIF2, seems pretty easy to add the 6A connector and have all of the connectivity easily available. 

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 06:46:20 AM »

^^

Agreed Carl.

In my case (for rear pods) I'll need to have the NUOH anyway so getting the SE Road Glide Ultra harness just saves the headache of de-pinning/re-pinning the iPod connections and wiring in the NIM. Plus, it provides for CB connections if I want to add that in the future (doubt it but you never know). Been my experience it is always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it  :)

TIF2

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »

I will say when I initially started looking into adding a CB, I was posting with Native Texan and a few others regarding this...It left me more than concerned that I wouldn't be able to complete this task. However, I left my 11FLHXSE2 with the dealership when I deployed (still deployed at the moment), printed the string for my mech, and they assured me that they would make it work. Sure enough, according to them, they have completed the install and run it through it's paces successfully. I haven't had the chance to question them on their fix, but will find out once I get eyes on. So perhaps the workaround is the aforementioned addition. I am surprised as well that there is such a desparity of difference between information sources.
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »

Not going to say that all the posts about xm are not true , but I just got my 2011 flhxse2 and Marvin @ proteam hd in Lawton Ok, put the xm module on my bike right on top(velcro) of the ipod module and said it was no big deal at all. It fits fine, works fine and has no problems whatsoever. Call him if you are having trouble and I am sure he will walk you right through it. He got the proper parts and how to directly from a guy he knows at the factory to fix the missing plug issue and said it was a piece of cake and didn't even take long to do. CD

Since there are no electronics (i.e. resistors, capacitors, etc.) involved, just wiring/connectors, it's not rocket science to connect the various accessories to the HK head unit provided there is room for the modules; and, for simple accessories like NIM and XM, not using the the non-Ultra overlay harness makes sense and it's what Marvin used as shown below.  For CB, with not only the module to connect, but also PTT/Squelch, rider headset, etc., the NUOH is more convenient and the 6B connector added to the SESG2 fairing/interconnect harness is an easy way to use the NUOH like other non-Ultra touring models.  DOC.COFFIN:  Hope you can share what the dealership did on your bike.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/XMonSESG20001.jpg[/img]]
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/XMonSESG20002.jpg[/img]]
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 20 queries.