Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Gas gauge seems way off??  (Read 15302 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Gas gauge seems way off??
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:39:20 PM »

Ran down to just about empty today and went to fill up and it only took 4 gals. Seems to me it should take more if the gauge was 1 line above the "E". Or does this sound about right to you guys??

Pete

• Full CVO Member
Re: Gas gauge seems way off??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:40:03 AM »

Gas gauge is about as accurate as the temperature gauge. (OK, maybe the gas gauge is 10% more accurate than the temp). But you do have to admit at night they do look really cool! Have you run the bike down to reserve yet? I have not it is good to know the range per tank but the danger here is in new bikes (never had this problem with a Harley) sometimes the reserve light never goes on.  Hit the trip meter at fillup and run the bike 150 miles or so when you get to a station see how much gas you need. Then do the math - next time run 175 and so on. Would be nice to be able to stretch 200 miles before we have to find gas but riding conditions etc will temper accuracy. The bikes also have a "distance to empty" odometer function that you can activate by hitting the trip reset a few times at "reserve" the DTE comes on automatically.
Short answer of your question. - Gauge is not accuate but once you mentally calibrate it by actual miles ridden per tank its not to bad. Your trip B odometer (just like the old days) is the ultimate gas gauge..

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:40:28 AM »

I understand how to use the trip odometer for calculating fuel and mileage. Also--is the DTE using the gas gauge/float to calculate how much fuel is in the tank?? If so, then that won't be accurate either. I put the question out there since my last bagger had a very accurate gauge and I was wondering if they lost something when they went to 6 gal tanks.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »

Day before yesterday my guage was below empty before the low fuel light came on.  I said I had 22 miles left, at that time.  I stopped and put gas in it at 9 miles and it was way below empty (the lowest mark on the guage) at that time. :nixweiss:  By the way, that was 205 miles on the trip meter. 

Seems to be a standard Harley Davidson guage to me........none of them have ever been accurate over the years on any of the bikes I've owned.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »

Day before yesterday my guage was below empty before the low fuel light came on.  I said I had 22 miles left, at that time.  I stopped and put gas in it at 9 miles and it was way below empty (the lowest mark on the guage) at that time. :nixweiss:  By the way, that was 205 miles on the trip meter. 

Seems to be a standard Harley Davidson guage to me........none of them have ever been accurate over the years on any of the bikes I've owned.

Same s**t as mine.....so it must be "normal"

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »

At least we don't have to pop the caps and look in the tank like the old days. :huepfenlol2:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »

My gas gauge sits behind me. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: Out of my way I have to pee!

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »

My reserve light comes on with 1 and 1/2 gals still in the tank..

jb

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »

My gas gauge sits behind me. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: Out of my way I have to pee!
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: Something tells me you are going to pay for that. :oops: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »

mjb, consider yourself lucky that your gauge reads too low rather than too high like many have.  Mine nearly stranded me on the initial tank of gas; gauge read 3/16 and the bike started to hiccup and almost stalled.  Managed to pull into a gas station before it quit, took 5.4 gallons to fill my 5 gallon tank.

There is no acceptable reason for the gauge to be that inaccurate.  Have it repaired/replaced under warranty, after you verify that you really got it full when you put in 4 gallons.  Some folks have had issues with the 6 gallon tanks trying to get them filled completely.  Best approach, drain the tank (syphon), add one gallon and then see what the gauge reads.  Continue to add one gallon at a time and note the gauge reading each time.  This should give you a truer picture of the "accuracy" of your gauge.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »

Does anyone know where the distance to empty readout gets it's info?? Even when the gauge said almost empty my DTE said 90 miles left!

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »

Does anyone know where the distance to empty readout gets it's info?? Even when the gauge said almost empty my DTE said 90 miles left!

As stated every gauge is different, my DTE comes on when I light up "Low Fuel" anywhere between 45-60 miles left.

That is just my bike.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Pete

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »

After reading this message I took the bike out until the gauge was just about hitting the pin (no idea how many miles where on the tank). Light did not come on - wimped out pulled into a gas station DTE read 39 miles. Bike took 4.93 gal.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 08:30:46 PM »

After reading this message I took the bike out until the gauge was just about hitting the pin (no idea how many miles where on the tank). Light did not come on - wimped out pulled into a gas station DTE read 39 miles. Bike took 4.93 gal.

That's not so far off since depending on the bike we get about 35-40 mpg. So this answers my question....all the gauges on the new bikes just suck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.