Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: noise in tranny  (Read 3296 times)

glidr

noise in tranny
« on: November 02, 2009, 10:59:21 AM »

Hey guys,I have a 2010 sesg with 700 miles on it. At 150 miles I developed a noise at idle,after riding a while in the tranny on the trap door side.Its kind of a rattle and it goes away when u pull the clutch in.The dealer dosent know what it is.Any clues? Thanx

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: noise in tranny
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »

My 09 cuse4 has it too....Haven a clue and havent bothered to ask the dealer..Sounds awful when cold. 
Redline primary oil smelled terrible at the 5k service, no particles or anything, I dunno... :nixweiss:
New fatcat header and stereo turned up helped alot.. :P

bigmuff

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »

Mine does the same thing.  Worse when hot.  Dealer said it's normal.  I figure I'll just ride it until it breaks and then make them fix it.

It got a little better after changing the tranny oil.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »

Hey guys,I have a 2010 sesg with 700 miles on it. At 150 miles I developed a noise at idle,after riding a while in the tranny on the trap door side.Its kind of a rattle and it goes away when u pull the clutch in.The dealer dosent know what it is.Any clues? Thanx
get rid of the Syn3
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »

I have the red line in it.  With a mechs stethescope I followed it back to the tranny.  Happily clicking away.
Sound worse as it travels through the primary..like primary chain is slappin itself silly...I dunno, as long as it brakes in the next 6 years..

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »

Many Riders here like these products:

Redline MTL 70W80 GL-4
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

Same product as the Redline V-Twin Primary Case oil only packaged differently and the MTL is a bit cheaper.

Also there is B&M Synthetic Trick Shift Trans Fluid
http://www.jegs.com/i/B-M/130/80286/10002/-1&parentProductId=750344

Many posts on the Forum on the subject, just search for oil or look under the Drive Train Board:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?board=63.0

Many riders have also queted down the motor and especially the Tranny by switching to other Redline lubricants.  Amsoil is also very popular.

Overall as Larry said... get rid of the syn3.

For the Tranny I will be using Redline Heavy Shockproof:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=8

For the Motor if you want to stay with Redline:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=110&pcid=13

But if you want to quiet the motor and don't mind sacraficing 1-3HP use the 20W60.

Also Mobile 1 V-Twin has proven to be a good product and is generally very readily available.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »

And of course, don't forget that your good ole cheapo air-cooled DINO oil works JUST FINE (tuned bikes-not overheating ones)! I like it better than any synthetic I've tried in the engine and continue to use it in all 5 of my bikes! I use Redline Shockproof heavy in the Trannies, and Redline MTL in the Primaries (except Cybil-she uses ATF because of the Rivera ProClutch)! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:28:28 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »

Hoist, I admire your dedication to the dead dinos.

That said I plan to use this in the motor:
Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 20w-50 Racing Oil
http://theoilwarehouse.com/?mainURL=/store/item/2a2ke/Racing_Oil/Brad_Penn_Penn_Grade_1_20w-50_Racing_Oil.html

It comes out to about 3 bucks a quart.  Another Forum member recommended it to me and said that it tests very well.  He apparently enjoys reading oil analysis test results.  I prefer to let someone else and tell me what works.

BTW if you try all this lube and your bike still makes those funny noises I don't know what else you need to do! :D

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:27:51 AM »

And of course, don't forget that your good ole cheapo air-cooled DINO oil works JUST FINE (tuned bikes-not overheating ones)! I like it better than any synthetic I've tried in the engine and continue to use it in all 5 of my bikes! I use Redline Shockproof heavy in the Trannies, and Redline MTL in the Primaries (except Cybil-she uses ATF because of the Rivera ProClutch)! ;)

Some people never let go of the past!  :D ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:44 AM »

Some people never let go of the past!  :D ;D

HeHe!!! It's so easy, even a Cave Man can do it!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »

do ya think
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.