Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: which windshield?  (Read 3503 times)

efarstveet

which windshield?
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »

I have a 2011 CVO street glide coming in in the next week or two and would like to order a new windshield for it.  Couple ?'s.  I am 6'2" tall, which windshield do you guys use.  I would like to not take away from the awesome look of the streetglide with a huge gaudy windshield.  Is the 12" too tall or how bout the new 7" wind splitter Harley offers.  any pics would be great.  want one that shields me very well from wind (hate wind) but still looks great.  thanks in advance.  By the way my glide is Autumn haze,  will post lots of pics when I get her home.

mig7410

Re: which windshield?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »

I've been trying to ride mine with the stock wind shield, and the wind hit me right in the face. I'm putting a 10" on tonight.

GeneHowe

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »

I'm 6'3 and bought a Windvest and have been extremely happy.  With Windvest the curve adds 4" to the windshield.  So if you were looking for a 12" you could go with a Windvest 8" and get same effect.  Ride a 2010 StreetGlide and works perfect for me.

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »

i use the hd windsplitter i like it wife doesnt
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum a.k.a Jack Sparrow
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »

I have four types bought this year and so far I'm happy,but bike's looking less sleek than I wanted. I'm 6'5" and have a big head (in both ways).

1st - 4" aero - looks the bomb, but no use to me.

2nd - HD Windsplitter - looks good, worked well until I bought a corbin solo that seems to place me higher so it's in the back of the cupboard

3rd - 8" Freedom dk smoke - works awesome, looks ok and quality is great.  Returned from a 3800 mile trip last week and performed great.  Just wish I could get something more custom.

4th - 10" Freedom light smoke - like sitting behind a glass wall, works well, too big for my taste as I prefer to look over the screen and not through them, but what a great product for not too much money

I'm waiting to see if I change the bars to MBB and if so, the 8" may stay if not I'm going to test a Klockwerks 8.5" in dk smoke. 

Others will have their opinions. 

Cheers,
Spiced Rum 100% stock. just as it left the factory and that's what my good lady thinks too!

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »

I have a 2011 CVO street glide coming in in the next week or two and would like to order a new windshield for it.  Couple ?'s.  I am 6'2" tall, which windshield do you guys use.  I would like to not take away from the awesome look of the streetglide with a huge gaudy windshield.  Is the 12" too tall or how bout the new 7" wind splitter Harley offers.  any pics would be great.  want one that shields me very well from wind (hate wind) but still looks great.  thanks in advance.  By the way my glide is Autumn haze,  will post lots of pics when I get her home.

Reminder the new 2011 SESG have a higher windshield than the 2010 SESG.

TJMichigan

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »

I am 6'3" and have been using a standard 8" on my 2010 SESG.  Took a 1500mile trip recently and found that its actually a little tall as I barley see over the top when relaxed in the seat on the long haul.  I had it on the 2009 Standard SG and it was perfect, but I think I sit deeper in the saddle on the SESG.  Based on this experience and the post on this website I ordered a 6" from Freedom Shields.  Received today and haven't installed yet.  I was surprised to see that they recommend you install it with the plastic protective films on it and see if you like it or if its the right height as you can return it as long at the films are on it.  Impressed already and haven't even installed.   Customer service goes a long way with me. 

hondo

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »

Stock windshield looks the best !!  thats what gives these bikes their good looks!  In my opinion.

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »

I'm 6'3" - I have a 8" clear for long rides.  I use a 7" dark smoke for regular daily use which could probably handle long rides too and still has a good look.  Both are Freedom Shields with a curve.  I recommend them.  Very nice quality, polished edges and thicker than normal and good prices. I tried the Harley windsplitter but it didn't work for me although it did look pretty nice. 
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »

Welcome, congratulations on the new bike.
There are a few other considerations on choosing a windshield. Not just your height but is a lot of your height due to a long torso or long legs? That's why many members here in other threads about windshield height mention their inseam length. Also do you wear a helmet or not? If a helmet is it open face of full face?
To help select shield height you may want to read this link and check out Clearview shields, they have fantastic customer service and will custom make a shield for any height you want. They also have a good return policy if you follow their directions.The flip at the top of their shield allows you to have the looks of a shorter shield but protection of a taller shield.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/correctshield.php

I guess the final consideration is how much can you sacrifice comfort for style? Shorter shields look cool but usually more buffeting to wear you out at high speeds or long days riding. It can affect your hearing and ability to hear your radio too.
Don't worry too much about what others think, get what you like, can afford and that meets your needs.

heatseeker

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 10 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 02 ultra (sold)
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:30:35 AM »

I am 6' 4" tall and got a 8" clearview with the recurve at the top to add another 2" of air lift. It does me just fine.
Fullsac B X-Pipe
2.5" Power Cores
TTS mastertune
Fullsac map
8" Clearview shield
14" Wild 1 Reapers

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 01:44:12 AM »

Also have a Clearview 8" and at 5-10 I do look over the top....fits just fine.  However, I am still getting hammered by buffeting from underneath the fairing...... :nixweiss:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

fastbikedroid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:14 AM »

At 6'3 and only a month or so in to riding my SG I'd say .. all of them..  I don't care about wind, it's the buffeting that kills me.  A lot has to do with your riding/sitting position.  Here's what I've learned so far:

Stock - too short, intense buffeting
HD Windsplitter - too short, shape doesn't realy curve the air to eliminate buffeting even when you squeeze down as low as you can.
LRS - Tried the 11", helped a bit but not a lot, too much barn door effect at highway speed. 
Klockwerks - Best so far.  The 3.5" looks good and cleans things up a bit for cruising, the 6.5" is probably one size too short for me but clears up 80+% of the buffeting.

So ... A short one (KW, etc) for summer, and a tall one (7-9") for colder weather / longer rides is my solution.  Of the pile I've tried the KW has been the best.  Now that I'm past my 1000 service I decided to give it a nice fast run, and I think their claims of added downforce on the fork are true -- you could feel the fork settle down at triple digits.

-------------------
'10 BMW R1200Rt
'11 SESG / FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
Previously '10 FLSTSE

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »

I'm 6'3 and bought a Windvest and have been extremely happy.  With Windvest the curve adds 4" to the windshield.  So if you were looking for a 12" you could go with a Windvest 8" and get same effect.  Ride a 2010 StreetGlide and works perfect for me.

I'm 6'4" and ride with a Corbin seat (seat height makes a difference, also) and I ride with a 8" Windvest and am very happy with it.  The wife is 5'8" and rides with the Windvest 6". :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 and lovin' it
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2 and loved it but sold it
    • CVO3: FLHXSE Tequila (sold)
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 03:18:17 PM »

Freedom Windshield and you can get a discount by being a member of cvoharley. I'm 5,10 but only 30 inch inseam and the 9in worked like a dream. Just done 1,500 over in France, no buffeting at all. I put the small screen back on for local trips to make the bike look cool.

Contact
John Lauk

Freedom Shields, LLC
303-816-1615
john@freedomshields.net

Great customer service.

Cheers, Kev

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:20:01 PM by Kevinski »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 21 queries.