Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: why are you guys not buying ultras  (Read 2856 times)

dunnright

why are you guys not buying ultras
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:28:25 AM »

i just traded my 09 utlra classic for a hot citrus street glide because i thought the glide is a cooler looking bike? now i see a bunch of u guys are turning your glides into ultras i dont get it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: why are you guys not buying ultras
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:40:20 AM »

i dont get it.

Different strokes for different folks.  

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 01:03:58 AM »

Different strokes for different folks. 

I can turn my Ultra into an almost-glide in 15 minutes...go figure
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:08:40 AM »

i just traded my 09 utlra classic for a hot citrus street glide because i thought the glide is a cooler looking bike? now i see a bunch of u guys are turning your glides into ultras i dont get it.

Hmmm... well, I can't speak for others... but in my case I really wanted the Hot Citrus Street Glide because I simply loved the look of it... the color and the flames, the cool rear fender with the integrated vertical lights, the 400 watt audio system, the lighted CVO console, the 19" Agitator wheel up front and 18" in the rear, the lowered frame, etc. But, I also wanted "Ultra" features such as matching passenger footboards, passing lamps, a decent seat with a backrest, a Tour Pak, etc. So, I just added them to my CVO Street Glide.

I guess I just wanted to do the CVO thing on my own terms, and create my own look. My bike is not an Ultra at all - far from it. The look is quite different from a CVO Ultra. Admittedly, it would have been about the same price to just buy a CVO Ultra, and I would have gotten the GPS, XM, CB, adjustable passenger footboards, heated seat and grips, CVO light bar on the Tour Pak, etc. But, I wasn't really wanting the Ultra look... I wanted the (as the MoCo says) "slammed" Street Glide look - just with more features that come on an Ultra.

This way, I get the best of both worlds... the bike with the look I really want, plus the most important (to me) features from the Ultra. I would probably never use the CB anyway, and I neither needed nor particularly wanted the big Ultra heated seat nor the heated grips - because I frankly don't do much cold weather riding at all... my blood's way too thin for that chit! XM and GPS would be nice, but I can get that easily by adding the H-D Road Tech Zumo 665 with XM... which I probably will add very shortly. I like the look of the Tour Pak without the big speaker pods on it... it looks lighter and cleaner to me, plus with the saddlebag speakers I don't need the TP speakers anyway.

So yeah, by the time I'm finished with all of my mods I will have probably a bit more money in this bike than I would have had in an Ultra... but I will have a pretty tricked-out CVO Street Glide instead - and with a little luck I will hopefully never see another one exactly like it...   :orange:

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:15:45 AM »

- and with a little luck I will hopefully never see another one exactly like it...   :orange:

and that, my friends, is what it's all about.   :2vrolijk_21:  Making the bike "yours".  I totally understand, doing the tour pak thing, especially if that's the only "long hauler" in the inventory.  I'm leaving mine as a solo hot rod only because I have the '11 SERGU to do the long hauling with momma.  If I didn't have both bikes, I probably would have done similar to my SESG3.  That is a sweet looking tour pak NGH.   :2vrolijk_21:  I think the MoCo hit a home run on everything SESG this year.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »

If you do any long distance riding with a passenger on board, you gotta have something to put stuff in, and make it comfortable for the BSR,  so the King tourpak just makes sense.  Just make it detachable and in 5 minutes it goes from one to the other.  It's hard to get enough stuff in two saddlebags for a few nights trip.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:30:29 PM »

and that, my friends, is what it's all about.   :2vrolijk_21:  Making the bike "yours".  I totally understand, doing the tour pak thing, especially if that's the only "long hauler" in the inventory.  I'm leaving mine as a solo hot rod only because I have the '11 SERGU to do the long hauling with momma.  If I didn't have both bikes, I probably would have done similar to my SESG3.  That is a sweet looking tour pak NGH.   :2vrolijk_21:  I think the MoCo hit a home run on everything SESG this year.

:devil:

Thanks,  :devil: !!!

Yeah, my SG has to do double duty as a hot rod and long-distance Tourer. I will probably leave the TP on a lot though... I like having the storage space for running errands... and it's WAY more fun to ride the bike on errands rather than drive the Avalanche when the items I'm getting will fit in the TP.  :bananarock:

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »

If you do any long distance riding with a passenger on board, you gotta have something to put stuff in, and make it comfortable for the BSR,  so the King tourpak just makes sense.  Just make it detachable and in 5 minutes it goes from one to the other.  It's hard to get enough stuff in two saddlebags for a few nights trip.

Yep! I agree completely... I really dislike having to try to cram everything into the saddlebags for even overnighters, much less longer trips.... and I absolutely can't STAND to have to strap a bunch of crap on the bike!

The Wizard's Tune

dunnright

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:23:32 PM »

well thanks for the replys . i jusy thought for a minute that i bought the wrong bike ? i love the look of the slammed glide and i can hardly wait my bike is coming in 2 weeks. hope i can go for a ride before the snow comes.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

No, you didn't buy the wrong bike.  I bought my Krypto for the same reasons as stated above.   I've had a Ultra for the last 6 years and put 129k miles on it.  I was starting to think about streamlining the front fender, extending the bags and wide rear fender with a new paint job.  Then I saw the Krypto and it was love at first sight.

I can have the long range touring bike WITH the hot rod look.  :2vrolijk_21:

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »

No, you didn't buy the wrong bike.  I bought my Krypto for the same reasons as stated above.   I've had a Ultra for the last 6 years and put 129k miles on it.  I was starting to think about streamlining the front fender, extending the bags and wide rear fender with a new paint job.  Then I saw the Krypto and it was love at first sight.

I can have the long range touring bike WITH the hot rod look.  :2vrolijk_21:

x2 :2vrolijk_21:

I do not know but from what i have heard the Ultras are top heavy.

philgrocks

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »

I had a 2008 Ultra, and I put on a Klockwerks smaller wind splitter, and removable tour pack, but even after all of that I wanted a street glide.

So I finally broke down and got a 2012 CVO street glide.  After riding it for a month, I love the ride of the street glide. I am sure the 110" and the new frame design helps.  But being lower, it is an easier ride for me.  I agree with an earlier comment that the ultra feels top heavy, even with the tour pack removed.

It is a great ride.

Phil

Gbodyman

• 2011 cvo street glide
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:57:32 AM »

If they did the back like a street glide I would .

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »

If they did the back like a street glide I would .

and the front fender, taller wheels and paint.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 06:42:36 PM »

and the front fender, taller wheels and paint.

But doing all of that would make the Ultra into a Street Glide! All that would be left would be to lower it... they are the same frame, after all...

The Wizard's Tune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.