Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: What kind of truck - Pros & Cons?  (Read 15608 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
What kind of truck - Pros & Cons?
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »

I'm in the market for a truck (2005-2007) and am looking for recommendations on what to buy and/or what to stay away from, known problems, etc.
I only buy a different vehicle (other than Harley) every 8-10 years so I really want to get it right the 1st time.
I know many of you own trucks and I value your opinions.
I'm looking for a 4x4 full size pickup capable of pulling 8000 lbs comfortably. I'll only be using it for towing 10% of the time but do want capability and reliability.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: What kind of truck - Pros & Cons?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:13:10 PM »

Ultra

I have a 06 F350 Powerstroke 4wd 4door Lariet.

15mpg around town
17mpg on the road
14mpg hauling 10,000lbs
It will be 12 months old on Feb 1
Just went out to look and odometer is showing 63759 miles
I'm building a garage for my local Custom Chrome rep and he called and the lumber truck was stuck in his yard.
I pulled the tractor trailer with a load of trusses on it out of his yard with my little truck.

Absolutely no problems with this one.
Last one had 279,000 miles on it when I sold it

It is more truck than I wanted but everything that I needed!
Kinda like the Frontier!

Everyones taste is different, what is yours?

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »

Ultra,
  I'm an old "BOW-TIE", fan, myself.  We've got a 2001 Chevrolet 3500 SLT, 6X6, Crew Cab, Duramax Dually, with the Allison Automatic, and a 2002 Chevrolet 2500 SLT, 4X4, Extended Cab, with the same Powertrain.  Both in excess of 200,000 miles.  The only failure has been injectors, which GM replaced at no charge.  Very reliable, very comfortable, very powerful.  We pull a 38' Goose-Neck Tralier, to the races with the Dually, and a 20' Bumper-Pull with the 2500.  Both still look good, and still run good.  The Allison Automatic, when going downhill, retards similar to a Jake-Brake.  Hard to beat!  I had a FORD,...... once.  Traded it for a dog,..... so I wouldn't have to walk alone!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »

I'm with Chip,
I have a 03' F-250 XLT 4x4 with a V-10, extended cab and a 04' F-150 4x4 Crew cab. The 250 tows great. I have an 8' Fisher plow on it and it pushes heavy wet snow without effort. My first one, an 01' F-250 with the 5.4 V-8 needed to have the motor replaced at 34K, started knocking and they couldn't find a problem after they tore it apart but put in a new motor.

I have the manual hubs and the manual transfer case shifter on the 250, takes up a little more room, but it won't fail when you need. I've had a few minor problems with the auto hubs in the past. The 150 rides like a car has the auto hubs and is very quiet on the road. It is also really good in the snow and a little closer to the ground for getting in and out of. The 250 is my favorite though, great truck it is a bear in the bad weather just goes right through everything.

Just my 2 cents, good luck. One other thing, the 150 has a cloth interior but it's made out of something like vinyl threads. The material looked great when I picked up the truck. However I've found that EVERYTHING stains it, even water. If there is one thing I hate about the truck it's the interior material in the 04' get the leather or something else if it's available.

Here's a pic of the bike and the 03' in the background.

Ed [smiley=pepper.gif]
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 02:02:09 PM »

Ultra,
  I'm an old "BOW-TIE", fan, myself.  We've got a 2001 Chevrolet 3500 SLT, 6X6, Crew Cab, Duramax Dually, with the Allison Automatic, and a 2002 Chevrolet 2500 SLT, 4X4, Extended Cab, with the same Powertrain.  Both in excess of 200,000 miles.  The only failure has been injectors, which GM replaced at no charge.  Very reliable, very comfortable, very powerful.  We pull a 38' Goose-Neck Tralier, to the races with the Dually, and a 20' Bumper-Pull with the 2500.  Both still look good, and still run good.  The Allison Automatic, when going downhill, retards similar to a Jake-Brake.  Hard to beat!  [highlight]I had a FORD,...... once.  Traded it for a dog,..... so I wouldn't have to walk alone![/highlight]  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Later--HUBBARD

;D ;D ;D ;D

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »

I was a bow-tie man for years too, every one I had was a good truck. GMC vans, pickups, cars, changed to Ford in 01' better price and seemed to me, in my opinion, that it was a little more work type vehicle, not as fancy which is better when I'm buying trucks for my company and everybody is driving them.

Ed [smiley=pepper.gif]

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »

I've got an '00 250 superduty 4x4 with the 7.3, extended cab.  It's got just under 200k at this point in time and I'm figuring on putting another 100k on it before I trade it.  IF I were in the market, I'd look for the 6.0 preferably an 06 or 07.  The 05's were still clearing out bugs from the introduction of the 6.0.  The auto is pretty stong with the 6.0, it's the weakest link with the 7.3.  I've beat the snot out of mine, period.  So far I've put all 4 ball joints on it and a couple of water pumps.  I prefer the way the Ford interiors are put together over the Chevy's.  Mine still does not have the typical plastic squeak that you hear in any Chevy with more than 25k miles.  The Dodge is a tough truck, but they all look alike inside.  As for pulling 8000#, get the 3/4 ton or the 1 ton (250/350, 2500/3500, or the Ram version).  When I was looking for mine, the 1/2 ton cost alomost as much (the only difference was the cost of the diesel) and the 3/4 ton will pull your trailer MUCH better.  Much larger brakes, better suspension, better internals, etc.   I'm in the same boat you are, I pull almost 10k off a bumper hitch about 6 times a year (but 250 miles at a crack).  The 1/2 ton wouldn't have done it.  The 3/4 or 1 ton will ride worse unloaded, but that's what you pay for having a safer pulling machine when you need it.

jm2c.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 03:02:10 PM »

Hi SEULTRA,
I have slightly different thought here for you.  8-)
You stated that towing is only a 10% of the time thing. So what is the other time spent on?
Do you drive mainly by yourself or with a family? Do you vary between hauling cargo and people? What interior features do you like?
For sheer towing the Duramax Silverado is hard to beat but a Silverado does ride like a truck.
As an alternative you should check out a Chevy Avalanche. A 2007 can now be had with a 6 liter motor as well as 4x4 and a 4.10 rear end which should give you plenty of power for an 8,000 lb tow.
Most people don't realize that the Avalanche is built on the Suburban frame so it has a smother SUV type of ride. Much smoother than a Silverado even though they look alike.
Older Avalanches had the side plastic which many didn't like but it has been offered without the plastic cladding for several years now and in 2007 the plastic cladding is not offered.
With an Avalanche you can transport 5 adults with ease or if you need cargo space you can haul 4X8 sheets of plywood with the rear seat and wall folded down. With the tailgate up and cargo covers in place you can transport stuff in the rain and it stays dry and locked up too. The side toolboxes can be used as onboard storage or coolers.
I have had one since 2004 and love it. My wife loves the heated orthopedic seats. I drove Suburbans for 16 years before that and think the Suburbans were great people haulers but the Avalanche is more versitile. I had no problem towing a 20ft. bass boat with a 200 hp motor either.
From 2002 until 2006 Chevy also made a 3/4 ton Avalanche that had a 8.1 liter motor. Great for towing but gas mileage was lower.

Below is a photo from another website showing an Avalanche towing a trailer at Tail of the Dragon.

Here is a link to check out the 2007 Avalanche ;  http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/?seo=goo_avalanche
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:01:52 PM by VaEagle »

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 03:05:05 PM »

I belong to the bowtie 4x4 brigade. Tried 01 ford diesel once >:(  Currently for a company truck I run a 2000 Chevy 2500 with 6.0 great work truck. Recently sold 04 Chevy 2500 duramax diesel with the lly engine/allison trans. Great truck. Picked up 07 Chevy crew cab recently. 5yr/100k warranty so far so good.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:08:46 PM by orangeseeg »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »

Traded it for a dog,..... so I wouldn't have to walk alone!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Later--HUBBARD

HUB

My suggestion is to get that dog back out and tie him to Maude for a little help. ;)
And please, tie him to the back of Maude. :-?
So when the Frontier passes Maude and scare the chit out of the dog the mess will not get on Maude's wheels! ;D ;D ;D

Look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 04:12:32 PM »

HUB

My suggestion is to get that dog back out and tie him to Maude for a little help. ;)
And please, tie him to the back of Maude. :-?
So when the Frontier passes Maude and scare the chit out of the dog the mess will not get on Maude's wheels! ;D ;D ;D

Look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Heh now, no preliminary runs before MBBW. I don't want to miss any of the fun. ;) If Otis and I aren't there it doesn’t' count. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »

I looked at all 3 when I bought mine last January, the Dodge is too, well Dodge.
The Furd is too noisy, problems with the diesel, and a little high on the entry height (for the significant other)

Got the 2500HD 4 door short bed with the diesel and 6 speed. Very happy with it, very quiet, quick start up when cold, very minor problems in the 17k miles I have on it so far.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:05:55 PM by porthole2 »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »

Go with the F-series super duty.  I work in many Ford plants as well as GM plants (around the world), and can tell you first hand,  the quality in the ford plants are WAY...WAY....WAY,  btw,  did I say... WAY better than anything I've seen in  North America and Mexico from GM.   Just an opinion from a guy that travels the world working in customers manufacturing plants.....

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »

BTW,
     Go with the Power Stroke and chip it..............Lot's of torque...

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 10:14:02 PM »

quality in the ford plants are WAY...WAY....WAY,  btw,  did I say... WAY better

I don't know Beags, the service departments for all 3 are always busy.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.