Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Author Topic: San Diego gas prices....  (Read 32101 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: San Diego gas prices....
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »

Problem with Investing in Brazilian oil companies now is if the Iranian oil drives the price per barrel further down those companies will be gone. Did an investment like that in the mid to late nineties. After several years and many promising events the companies went belly up. We lost the least out of the group of friends that invested and only because we invested the least. Some of my friends lost mid 6 figures. Ever since that we have been reluctant to jump in and no doubt have lost out on some great opportunities but we haven't lost either.

I look for oil to keep dropping the next few years or so. In the meantime Alabama is looking at a gas tax hike so our state intends to take some of the savings away.

I feel for all the companies in the US that are oil related. Going to be like Texas was in the early eighties. Some of the companies I made parts for in Hueston ended up tearing down a lot of their buildings to keep the tax base low and try to survive. Hope all those still in the oil industry make it through the upcoming bad times.   
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2016, 05:30:36 PM »

Problem with Investing in Brazilian oil companies now is if the Iranian oil drives the price per barrel further down those companies will be gone. Did an investment like that in the mid to late nineties. After several years and many promising events the companies went belly up. We lost the least out of the group of friends that invested and only because we invested the least. Some of my friends lost mid 6 figures. Ever since that we have been reluctant to jump in and no doubt have lost out on some great opportunities but we haven't lost either.

I look for oil to keep dropping the next few years or so. In the meantime Alabama is looking at a gas tax hike so our state intends to take some of the savings away.

I feel for all the companies in the US that are oil related. Going to be like Texas was in the early eighties. Some of the companies I made parts for in Hueston ended up tearing down a lot of their buildings to keep the tax base low and try to survive. Hope all those still in the oil industry make it through the upcoming bad times.   
that is exactly why you invest in the most solvent and the biggest in the business.i sure would hate to think i was investing a fringe oil company!! :'(

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2016, 10:38:33 AM »

GasBuddy today

Oklahoma City's cheapest gas was about $1.30, according to the website.

The nation's most expensive gas is found in California at $2.67 a gallon.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »

GasBuddy today

Oklahoma City's cheapest gas was about $1.30, according to the website.

The nation's most expensive gas is found in California at $2.67 a gallon.

I filled up this morning for $1.45 per gallon.  In 1973 I was 12 years old and pumping gas at a Texaco station.  Can remember early that year before the oil embargo while "gas wars" were still going and regularly seeing gas in the mid to upper 20 cents per gallon.  By year end I remember people driving off and not buying saying they'd never pay the 50 cents a gallon it had hit.  I just looked it up and see and average cost for a gallon of regular that year was 39 cents.

$1.45 (that I spent for fuel this morning) of 2015 dollars equates to 27 cents of 1973 dollars according to a CPI calculator I use regularly.  So today's fuel is the same price as it was in the "gas war" days prior to the Arab oil embargo.  Granted, two years ago is was $4 locally and a lot more elsewhere.  It's still a relatively volatile commodity.  But I'm not complaining...  :drink:

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2016, 08:03:27 PM »

I filled up this morning for $1.45 per gallon.  In 1973 I was 12 years old and pumping gas at a Texaco station.  Can remember early that year before the oil embargo while "gas wars" were still going and regularly seeing gas in the mid to upper 20 cents per gallon.  By year end I remember people driving off and not buying saying they'd never pay the 50 cents a gallon it had hit.  I just looked it up and see and average cost for a gallon of regular that year was 39 cents.

$1.45 (that I spent for fuel this morning) of 2015 dollars equates to 27 cents of 1973 dollars according to a CPI calculator I use regularly.  So today's fuel is the same price as it was in the "gas war" days prior to the Arab oil embargo.  Granted, two years ago is was $4 locally and a lot more elsewhere.  It's still a relatively volatile commodity.  But I'm not complaining...  :drink:
i remember. i was 14 nearly 15 going on 16. how in the world was i going to afford to drive a cobra jet or a boss or a hemi. no, no, no, they cannot do this to me. ended up with a boss 302. was not a big block but way better than a vw i thought i was going to need to settle on. :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »

i remember. i was 14 nearly 15 going on 16. how in the world was i going to afford to drive a cobra jet or a boss or a hemi. no, no, no, they cannot do this to me. ended up with a boss 302. was not a big block but way better than a vw i thought i was going to need to settle on. :nixweiss:

I remember that same anxiety.  Was already working on a 66 El Camino that I was going to start driving (legally) when I turned 16.  Had most of the parts for a 396 for it when gas hit 50 cents a gallon.  It was hell thinking about going back to a small block  :huepfenlol2: .

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2016, 08:23:04 PM »

I remember that same anxiety.  Was already working on a 66 El Camino that I was going to start driving (legally) when I turned 16.  Had most of the parts for a 396 for it when gas hit 50 cents a gallon.  It was hell thinking about going back to a small block  :huepfenlol2: .
when 1975 came the used car lots were full of those gas guzzling bosses, cobra jets, hemi and bbc. you could take your pick for around $800.00. nobody wanted em. if only i knew! :'(

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »

When i started school at South Dakota State, gas was around .99 a gallon. When i graduated in 2001 gas had sky rocketed ton$1.89ma gallon, I wasn't sure how I was going to afford gas living 150 miles from home.
Supershooter

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »

Today's Regular

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:51 AM »

I do feel for those in the oil industry at the same time am selfish enough to enjoy the low prices.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »

But no Green or Blue Chip Stamps !!  ;D

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2016, 06:40:43 PM »

We gave away bottle openers, glasses, maps, & ice scrapers with a fill up.  Not all the time, but fairly regular.

Sold a few hundred of these, had one in the window:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »

Sold a few hundred of these, had one in the window:

NICE!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:08:24 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »

:'(

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »

But no Green or Blue Chip Stamps !!  ;D

Oh lord I'd forgotten all about those.  We did do green stamps.  I can remember absolutely HATING those things.  Be on my stool (you needed one when you were 11 or 12 or 13) under a car on the grease rack and that "ding ding" of the gas island would chime.  Grab my milk carton (that you needed to all the way across the windshield to wash it or to check the oil on most pickup trucks) and head out to the gas island.  Pump the gas, wash the glass, check the oil, do a quick vac of the carpets if they asked, check the tires and finish the gas fill.  Then take the money or the credit card, go in, get the change or "run" the card machine, go back to the driver, and listen to the (always) little old lady bitch because I forgot her green stamps. 

Pretty sure we stopped doing green stamps about 1974 or so. 

There was the one good thing about being the kid on the gas island.  The teenage girls that would never get out of their car.  Tell them they've got a bulb out.  But, so sorry, it appears not to be a bulb.  Scoot over just a bit and I'll check the fuses under the dash for you.  Crawl under, check "things" out, ah; the vistas on the gas island were sometimes grand.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.