Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: French Weapon Technology vs US Technology  (Read 6845 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: French Weapon Technology vs US Technology
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 07:07:30 PM »

I could really get into this. The Stark had other issues. One, keep in mind that the Exocet RCS (radar cross section) is very small. So that makes it very hard to see with radar, espcially with the SPS-49 radar. So the ability to see skin seperation from the F-1 was more than likely not seen by the operator. Then, also, especially in mid 80's, ships did not run the CIWS in full auto and probably still don't to this day. This is not to mention the SLQ-32 ESM operator would have a very short reaction time once Exocet radar lit off. So with all of our expensive systems to keep ships safe, a $30k missile can pretty much ruin your day.

Also, Iraq was our friend then, and who shoots at their friend?

Ronshood
             Your posts sounds like an argument between an FC and an EW. Anyway, you failed to mention that the Aegis system would pick up the Exocet as soon as it lit off. Aegis is not operated by human hands. Also, CIWS is linked to the Director Illuminators which are also not controlled by human hands. The software for CIWS is classified and I'm sure as hell not gonna post what it does and doesn't do here, but suffice to say that one of the ships that my company builds would not be hit by an Exocet or any other missle so long as all systems were operating properly.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »

I could really get into this. The Stark had other issues. One, keep in mind that the Exocet RCS (radar cross section) is very small. So that makes it very hard to see with radar, espcially with the SPS-49 radar. So the ability to see skin seperation from the F-1 was more than likely not seen by the operator. Then, also, especially in mid 80's, ships did not run the CIWS in full auto and probably still don't to this day. This is not to mention the SLQ-32 ESM operator would have a very short reaction time once Exocet radar lit off. So with all of our expensive systems to keep ships safe, a $30k missile can pretty much ruin your day.

Also, Iraq was our friend then, and who shoots at their friend?

Ron, that was a CF beyond nearly all recognition.  The ship's Captain claimed that all defensive systems were functioning though there were conflicting reports during the investigation as to what mode systems were prior to the attack.  The same day the Stark was hit a different Iraqi aircraft also flying from Shaibah had put missiles in a Cypriot ship not too far from where the Stark was then steaming.  So they knew there'd been activity.

Still no one caught it all.  An AWAC caught the Mirage leaving Shaibah at 20:00 local, both the AWAC and the Stark had monitored the flight, the Stark had verified and, if I remember correctly, done an IFF request of the Mirage without getting any kind of a response.  The AWAC saw the Mirage take a sudden turn for home.  But none of them ever caught the plane fire off its missiles.  First report of the inbounds was a watch with binos just seconds before impact.

Gents, I'm not a conspiracy theorist and don't go looking for boogeymen behind every incident.  I recognize that Oliver Stone creates fiction and I think that, generally, the Warren Commission didn't screw the pooch.  To this day, however, I am absolutely convinced that Mirage knew its run was on a US warship and, with only somewhat less belief, think the plane was piloted by a Russian.  That we screwed the pooch completely on monitoring and missing any attempts at defense (all of which we certainly did) is entirely separate from the attack itself.  But I've always thought we got sucker punched on that one.

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:56 AM »

BB and TLNR,
Im really not pitting one group/rate against another and am fully aware of the operating systems and their integration. AEGIS and NTU are very formidable and can take care of themselves. The other units are less capable. Yeah I know, there are no more NTU's. Every ship is built to do a certain mission (preaching to the chior, now). I too don't wish to get into too many specifics due to classification.

Additionally, you both make some very good points.

I'll leave it at this, for a cheap weapon, the Exocet is a nasty little SOB.

Cheers.
Ron

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »

I'll leave it at this, for a cheap weapon, the Exocet is a nasty little SOB.

Cheers.

Didn't I say that ?

B B
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.