Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Check it out a "True American Hero"!  (Read 2612 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Check it out a "True American Hero"!
« on: February 26, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »

Lt Col Bruce Crandall was just awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor live on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/26/crandall.medal.of.honor/index.html

http://www.au.af.mil/au/goe/eaglebios/96bios/crandall96.htm

You may remember the Lt. Col. for his dramatic rescues portrayed in the movie " We Were Soldiers, Once"
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Check it out a "True American Hero"!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:04:18 PM »

It was good to see that make the news Duane.  It's something that General Moore has been pushing for for a long time.  Moore himself should have gotten more than a DSC for those few days days in 1965..  Never heard of him ever saying a word about it though.  Though it was good to see him never give up looking out for his men.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 10:22:04 PM »

It was good to see that make the news Duane.  It's something that General Moore has been pushing for for a long time.  Moore himself should have gotten more than a DSC for those few days days in 1965..  Never heard of him ever saying a word about it though.  Though it was good to see him never give up looking out for his men.

So true Don. What we ask our American Servicemen and woman to do is never appreciated as it should be. The Ia Drang story is amazing, and I am sure there were many actions during that brief conflict that deserve recognition as well as many conflicts we are involved in. The book is excellent.

If you have never visited the the MOH web site at http://www.cmohs.org/ you owe it to yourself as well as the recipients to read the stories. They are truly amazing. And just think about all the actions that are not recognized, or don't meet MoH standards, truly humbling.

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »

So true Don. What we ask our American Servicemen and woman to do is never appreciated as it should be. The Ia Drang story is amazing, and I am sure there were many actions during that brief conflict that deserve recognition as well as many conflicts we are involved in. The book is excellent.

If you have never visited the the MOH web site at http://www.cmohs.org/ you owe it to yourself as well as the recipients to read the stories. They are truly amazing. And just think about all the actions that are not recognized, or don't meet MoH standards, truly humbling.

Several years ago I was asked to do a little writing that required interviewing several CMH recipients.  We're around self important people all the time.  A tasking that has you in the presence of heroes day after day for awhile only leaves you with your jaw dragging the ground. 

Unassuming people without any great desire to stand out whose every story is nearly incomprehensible to the average among us.  Each seemingly the most unbelievable thing you've ever heard; until you hear the next.  Nearly all about loyalty and friends and unbelievable willingnesses to sacrifice for those things.

A guy can go through several such interviews and really begin to think that you've heard it all.  That people can't have done more, risked more or achieved more.  Then you remember that the majority of CMH are given posthumouslously.  Then very suddenly you realize, almost with shame and certainly with embarassment, that you've only barely scratched the surface.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:54 PM »

I watched the ceremony today as well. While the word hero seems a bit overused and diluted in todays world it certainly applied to Lt Col Crandall for his truly selfless actions In case anyone is interested there is a Congressional Medal of Honor memorial in Pueblo, Colorado just 45 minutes south of where I live. One of four in the country. To read more, go to: http://www.homeofheroes.com/a_homepage/community/displays/national_sites/pueblo.html

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 11:57:02 PM »

I have been fortunate enough to break bread with a few recipients of the MoH
It is indeed a humbling experience, and not an easy one to forget.

There are so many that never lived to see the results of their sacrifice...  back when i was in charge of units i would dig out an MoH citation for reading at ceremonial formations... just to remind my young Soldiers from whence they came.

generally we werent at war during those formations and it helped shape ( i hope) the kind of soldiers they became in combat
i'll never really know

Scot

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 11:57:51 PM »

oh yea,
Jay is correct..for whatever reason, Pueblo is full of heroes

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »

Yes it is awe inspiring to be in the presence of ....

I have been in the audience once with a MoH'r. General Schwartzkopf was doing a political speech for Bush on BB62 (USS New Jersey Battleship).

The amazing thing is that with all the security the General had, he was second fiddle when the blue ribbon came up the gang plank.

My daughter who was in High School NJROTC at the time was on the gang plank with the honor guard and had the opportunity for a face to face salute. Although at the time she was more impressed with shaking the Generals hand.

And I am fortunate enough to have one MoH autograph in my "History of Submarines" book.

Although this pales in comparsion with doing a real meet and greet.

Another link for Crandall

http://www.xav8er.com/

MV 2013

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.