Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sopranos ... the end?  (Read 2417 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Sopranos ... the end?
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:04:24 AM »

Anne and I have watched the series since it's inception...it has had it's ups and downs.  Spending a rainy winter weekend watching an entire season actually brings a different perspective to each season.

All in all, I will miss the show.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Sopranos ... the end?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:18:44 AM »

I thought the finale SUCKED!  3/4 of the show was about AJ and his emotional BS.  Who gives a crap!  Yet another episode waiting for something to happen.  This was one of my favorite shows on TV, but the last 2 seasons sucked.  Each week (after nothing happening) I'd say hopefully it'll get better next week but it never did.  I think there were 2 or 3 good episodes.  Last night's was another example of nothing happening, except there is no next week.  At least I won't be disappointed again next Sunday...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:47:53 AM »

I thought my TV broke or the cable went out.........
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »

It was an another example of a show's production being arrogant enough to forget they produce for their audience and not for their own flights of fancy, hubris, or to give themselves a giggle.  Whether they elevated Tony to some king of thugs, wiped out the entire family or even had him suddenly turn rat with his new FBI buddy to do in the opposition the show's production should have done something.  As is it was more like, "ahhh, we'll write one more half hearted episode with lots of stuff that just fills air time stuck inside of it; then I guess we'll stop now."

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »

I watched the first 6 seasons during my R&R from Iraq, fell in love with the show...returned from the deployment and didnt like how the 7th was going and lost interest. Needless to say, I missed all this season and the finale. My opinion...I DON'T EVEN CARE!!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 08:10:40 PM »

Ya know I could forgive the innane dream crap and even the slow moving season, but to end a show with a guys head being crushed like a watermelon and not show it and then to leave it without any substance was just a waste of an hour of my time and the 6 + years building up to a huge let down.

The 2 shows prior to finale were interesting enough that I figured there would be some type of closure and world win last show .... /gah
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »

I have been a big fan since day one BUT the last couple of seasons I've found rather boring. In fact, it seems the writers ran out of material a couple of years ago. This past season should have been titled the trials and tribulations of a boring f..ked up kid, AJ. As for the finale, I'd like to have that hour of my life back.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

The 2 shows prior to finale were interesting enough that I figured there would be some type of closure and world win last show .... /gah

That could have been one of several possible completely enjoyable conclusions.  It certainly could have covered more than two or three episodes too Harry.  Wind the series up with the bloodbath of war that had seemed to percolating for so long.  The show often promised more violence than it actually delivered.  They could have gone over the top to wind the story up.  Instead it was diner chow, some stranger going to the john and fade to black.

Rhino

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 10:04:49 PM »

The intensity of the last few episodes was surreal.  I had to watch them with no distractions to see it as the director intended, IMHO.   Tony got wacked, that's why the screen went blank.    For an indepth, try this link.  They write better than me.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20070611_dont_stop_nbsp_david_chases_maddening_sopranos_finale/

Rhino

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 10:05:19 PM »

I'm not big on TV, so I don't have any of the premium channels. Never watched the show at all until until a couple weeks ago. I watched some re-runs that ran all one day when I wasn't feeling well.What's the fuss ?  I've seen Gandolfini on the Actor's Studio and if you ask me, he is Tony Soprano, no acting going on there. Beyond that they rounded up every Italian actor who's made a living for the past 30 years pretending to be a goombah. Big deal. Deadwood was a lot better and in many ways an accurate potrayal of the real Deadwood during the period depicted with many historical figures and facts cleaverly worked in by David Milch. So the Sopranos creator/producer went fade to black and it makes every evening news show tonight . That's almost as sad as the fuss over the snotty rich bitch locked up in LA County.

Fuhgedaboutit.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 10:06:39 PM »

I'm not big on TV, so I don't have any of the premium channels. Never watched the show at all until until a couple weeks ago. I watched some re-runs that ran all one day when I wasn't feeling well.What's the fuss ?  I've seen Gandolfini on the Actor's Studio and if you ask me, he is Tony Soprano, no acting going on there. Beyond that they rounded up every Italian actor who's made a living for the past 30 years pretending to be a goombah. Big deal. Deadwood was a lot better and in many ways an accurate potrayal of the real Deadwood during the period depicted with many historical figures and facts cleaverly worked in by David Milch. So the Sopranos creator/producer went fade to black and it makes every evening news show tonight . That's almost as sad as the fuss over the snotty rich bitch locked up in LA County.

Fuhgedaboutit.

But Brian, Harley hasn't screwed up yet today.  What else do we have to bitch about?

(and Deadwood is better, thank god for Tivo)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 10:18:01 PM »

But Brian, Harley hasn't screwed up yet today.  What else do we have to bitch about?

(and Deadwood is better, thank god for Tivo)

Well I s'pose if you're a diehard Bushie, you're none to happy with General Powell today.

And the US Senate proved once again that style over substance wins every time

Just waitin for season 3 to come out on DVD, I've got boxed sets of both 1 & 2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 10:23:53 PM »

Well I s'pose if you're a diehard Bushie, you're none to happy with General Powell today.

And the US Senate proved once again that style over substance wins every time

Just waitin for season 3 to come out on DVD, I've got boxed sets of both 1 & 2

What did Colin Powell do today?  I'm not a diehard anything much preferring effectiveness over ideology any day.  Where Powell is concerned that ends up meaning that more often than not he's right as his choices would follow my own analysis.  So what did he do today.  I know that sure as hell he didn't announce he was running for an office.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »

What did Colin Powell do today?  I'm not a diehard anything much preferring effectiveness over ideology any day.  Where Powell is concerned that ends up meaning that more often than not he's right as his choices would follow my own analysis.  So what did he do today.  I know that sure as hell he didn't announce he was running for an office.

Actually it was yesterday. Tim Russert had him on Face the Nation, and the cable news shows are abuzz with how he might support a Democrat in the presidential election. Also, he didn't blame the CIA for bad pre war intel, he blamed the administration for bungling the disemination of it. And other pithy moments. Still ever the soldier, he said he never considered resigning.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 10:52:02 PM »

Actually it was yesterday. Tim Russert had him on Face the Nation, and the cable news shows are abuzz with how he might support a Democrat in the presidential election. Also, he didn't blame the CIA for bad pre war intel, he blamed the administration for bungling the disemination of it. And other pithy moments. Still ever the soldier, he said he never considered resigning.

Did read Powell's remarks from that show.  No one should have been surprised there.  He's always been somewhat agnostic where party affiliating was concerned.  Doing the job required to faithfully serve the chain of command he adheres to is what's right.

He's far enough removed from any administration job at this point he'll get to play the elder statesmen's roll this time if he's interested.  Dispensing advice to candidates from both parties and staying above the fray.  Unlike Jimmy Carter, however, he could pull it off without being sanctimonious, preachy, or just bizarre.

Company analysis from the inter-war period in Iraq has always been a tough nut to crack.  Powell and nearly everyone who wasn't in the Senate or House threating hearings at some time past have always seemed to accept that.  They did screw up.  As did nearly everyone else.  But it's less so for what they saw then the lack of inferences that were drawn from what they saw.

They did see activity that strongly suggested work to support various proscribed weapons programs.  Including WMD efforts.  They saw them because Iraq wanted them seen.  Quite frankly I still believe Iraq thought they were safe on that score because they thought we were better and had them penetrated more heavily than was actually the case.

Iraq thought we would know their activities were a Potemkin Village designed to make others (the less than friendly neighboring Gulf States) think it was still a capable power.  Iraq wanted it's neighbors to believe it was still a threat and capable of defending itself against them catastrophically if necessary.  The downside to that was that US, British and other intelligence saw those same activities.  And took them at face value.

Deception, political or military maskirovka, is usually done to keep outsiders from knowing what you're trying to keep hidden.  This time it was the reverse.  But we didn't, or didn't allow ourselves to, see through it.  And it bit them and us in the butt.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.