Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Cigar  (Read 25610 times)

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
Cigar
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »

I thought I'd start a thread as it seems we have several cigar smokers here and many folks of fine taste. That being the case I figured this would be the place to ask for expert advise. I have smoked a few cigars in my day especially on the golf course. Now that I no longer smoke cigarettes - 10 months now smoke free, I am more interested in the occasional cigar for true relaxation and around the campfire with all my smoking compadres. I have tried a few drug store brands and have found the AyC Grenadiers my favorites thus far - until I ran across the Cigar Dave radio show on XM radio - this led me to a special offer on Monte Cristo's - WOW - these are some smooth and tasty cigars that got my attention and I am wondering what you cigar vets can offer as to advice regarding a good cigar out there. When a novice like me walks into a Cigar shop it can be very intimidating, so help a bro out......What's your favorite Cigar's - Two categories - daily smoke and once in a while indulgence.  ;D
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
Re: Cigar
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:50:45 AM »

Now you are right up my alley... :2vrolijk_21:

I like Padron they are a mid-bodied cigar and are not too expensive...they do have two specials though that are AWESOME and have the price to match--1964 and 1924 (I believe)

As a rule the Dominicans tend to be a little more mild with the Hondurans and Nicaraguans a bit more mid to full bodied (there are exceptions of course)

The darker the wrapper the longer/hotter the age and the more sugar that is forth coming (not necessarily sweeter or less body) hence the name maduro or ripe/aged as in bananas when they get ripe they are more maduro than when they are green.

There are tons of good cigars out there and many depend on when you smoke them how you feel about them, i.e. after dinner (heavy vs light) or what you are having them with (a good port, cognac, scotch/whiskey, coffee/cafe', etc)

Many times price equates to prestige/quality/brand not necessarily taste.  If you would like a nice FuFU cigar which is hand made and is wonderful for those "I don't want a hang-over" smoke the CAO Moontrance is nice (flavored and sweet).  CAO makes some real nice cigars and they have some "ethnic" types that are interesting Italian, Brazilian just to mention a couple.  I could go on and on because I have had so many wonderful cigars and my tastes change over time.  Hoyo de Monterey are good too.  I am kinda student of them too since my wife is Cuban it is a n education in and of itself.  I can go on and on but I will wait to see what some of the other SEEGARSMKRS out there think.

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

vroddad

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 10:41:49 AM »

I like Aturo Fuente Cubanitos.  Nice mellow smoke, small and doesn't take an hour and half to smoke.  I don't have the time or patience for those big churchills!

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 10:16:14 PM »

Now this is a thread I am loking forward to...  :drink:

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 11:49:34 PM »

I know what you mean about the big ones! I drive a truck, and when on the road I need a Lil something in the afternoon, that is the worst time for a driver - especially me since I haul oversize and can only drive daylight hours. So, I have found the pleasure of looking forward to an afternoon cigar. I have been trying some called "Blenders Gold" Lonsdale's and Panetela's. I  like the Lonsdale better, but these are very inconsistent cigars. 4 or 5 of the 10 pack will be excellent smooth and even burning, the others are junk. Of course these come from Walgreen's and I am just starting out so can't expect miracles, but dang these Monte Cristo's are fantastic. So, maybe it's time I step and get a Humidor, or two, one for the truck and home. I am taking notes guys and will be trying out what you reccomend, so keep the tips coming!
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 12:50:29 AM »

Macanudos or Monte Cristo's....you can't go wrong.  I love the Macs and they don't have near the 'bite' that Romeo & Juliet's do, etc. Found a place in FL (http://www.neptunecigar.com) that offers 'starter' variety selections of most name brands so that you can choose a couple favorites. Also fairly decent prices on boxes when on sale.
 :drink:
Good luck!
Joe

P.S. Check with Mike L. (previously know as Cigar Mike) he was into cee-gars big time before quittting.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:53:40 AM »

Never cared much for cigars.......other than the smoke is a good mosquito repellent.  Cigars leaving me feeling like a cat chit in my mouth.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:59:31 AM »

I thought I'd start a thread as it seems we have several cigar smokers here and many folks of fine taste. That being the case I figured this would be the place to ask for expert advise. I have smoked a few cigars in my day especially on the golf course. Now that I no longer smoke cigarettes - 10 months now smoke free, I am more interested in the occasional cigar for true relaxation and around the campfire with all my smoking compadres. I have tried a few drug store brands and have found the AyC Grenadiers my favorites thus far - until I ran across the Cigar Dave radio show on XM radio - this led me to a special offer on Monte Cristo's - WOW - these are some smooth and tasty cigars that got my attention and I am wondering what you cigar vets can offer as to advice regarding a good cigar out there. When a novice like me walks into a Cigar shop it can be very intimidating, so help a bro out......What's your favorite Cigar's - Two categories - daily smoke and once in a while indulgence.  ;D

Flavor, body ( strenth), draw, burn and ash are things in cigars to notice.  Everybody has different tastes but the smokes need to be easy to draw on and well constructed to burn well.

My favorite is the Padron Anniversario 1926#1 Maduro...Pricey, but a superb hour and half smoke.  Really good. 
The Padron Principe is a good rider, it tunnels in a little and does not go out often while riding.  All in all the Padron Anny series are great 1926 and 1946, #2 Bellicoso, #9 both in maduro for me... These are my favorites.

The Ashton Cabinet series are nice mild smokes although I prefer the Aston VSG series (Bellicoso, Torpedo)....Ruddy and strong..These are my daily smokes and always in the bike on a ride.  They are made by Carlos Fuentes, most of those smokes are pretty decent.

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 and 1990, make a nice mild smoke with decent flavor and a mild easy draw.  They also have the Old World Reserve which is really nice too, super easy draw...

Recently I smoked some Padilla's, the 1832, I think...., it was excellent for the money...

There are lots of gimmicky marketing things out there and some people love em.. Whatever makes you happy I say.
My only B!tch is the flavored cigars....I don't quite get why you would smoke a cigar flavored like, I don't know.  I like great cigar flovered cigars.  The picture is of me in Honduras on a cigar smoking rampage!

Miker

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 08:04:48 AM »

I forgot to mention, those are bales of tobbacco in the curing warehouse that was around 99 degress and a jillion % humidity...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 08:14:47 AM »

I know what you mean about the big ones! I drive a truck, and when on the road I need a Lil something in the afternoon, that is the worst time for a driver - especially me since I haul oversize and can only drive daylight hours. So, I have found the pleasure of looking forward to an afternoon cigar. I have been trying some called "Blenders Gold" Lonsdale's and Panetela's. I  like the Lonsdale better, but these are very inconsistent cigars. 4 or 5 of the 10 pack will be excellent smooth and even burning, the others are junk. Of course these come from Walgreen's and I am just starting out so can't expect miracles, but dang these Monte Cristo's are fantastic. So, maybe it's time I step and get a Humidor, or two, one for the truck and home. I am taking notes guys and will be trying out what you reccomend, so keep the tips coming!
[/quot

My pal likes Macanudos, mild..Perdomo Champagnes are nice, I have some a late nite smoke or early in the AM.  Perdomo makes a lot of nice mild cigars, well built, good flavor, nice body.

Get a humidor, look for one that shuts nice and even...A good humidor will runs a few bucks but they are worth it..
I use a old wine fridge because I buy by the box and will usually have 10 -20 boxes in the house.  I lined it with clear spanish cedar 3/8 boards to help with humidity...the most important thing for smokes...Humidity around 65-70% and temps below 75 F, to keep the beetles from hatching.

Miker

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 10:14:49 AM »

Dang It.  You people really pi** me off!!   :sauer005:

Its bad enough you are constantly taking money out of my pocket to feed my OCD.  Now you just caused me to go and order a couple of sampler packs to take on my Sturgis trip.  And yes I had to order them on-line.  Hard to find good cigars in Joplin, MO.  Surprising huh.   :nixweiss:

Later,
Ghost

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 10:22:49 AM »

Gloria Cubana Series R #5 maduro.

They were always my favorite. Great smoke, real easy draw, a little bit of a bite. I don't smoke anymore, well maybe one or two on vacation.

Ed :pepper:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:52:38 AM by Special_Ed »
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 10:33:25 AM »

Gloria Cubana Series R #5 maduro.

They were always my favorite. Great smoke, real easy draw, a little bit of a bit. I don't smoke anymore, well maybe one or two on vacation.

Yup those are great too...I have some in the box.....

Miker

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »

Miker,
Great cigar pics!

People are always surprised to find out that western Massachusetts and Connecticut grow a lot of tobacco of course with all the laws in this state we can't smoke anywhere. I'm pretty sure that the tobacco grown here is mostly for wrappers.

"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 12:06:35 PM »

Some fine wrappers from up theya.....They are an important part of the smoke.
I'll be up in Beatown 4-6 August visiting my little Irish mum.
I grew up in Allston, Ma....Miss it sometimes and lots of friends in Mansfield, Boston, Uxbridge, Franklin.
Pretty nice riding when you can.  Someday when I am up for more than a weekend I'll try and get a rental to tool around on.  Paramount HD in Framingham does rentals don't they?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.