Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Wireless Phone Service.......?????  (Read 1880 times)

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
Wireless Phone Service.......?????
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:20:09 AM »

Havn't been on the site in awhile, but I was just wondering what phone service everyone likes?

We have had Nextel for awhile now and lately they have been messing up, so we have been trying to figure out what we wanted to do, our local store said to switch to Sprint service, we thought that they were the same, but I guess that even though they are the same company now, they still have different services!! :nixweiss:

Anyways, we tried to do the Sprint thing and that was a huge hassel, magor headaches, so we gave that up and went back to the nextel for now and are thinking about trying Verizon!

So basically, my question to all, which service do you guys like? Since alot of you guys travel around alot, does your phone service work good for you? :confused5:

The whole phone thing will make your head explode!!!   :sauer055: :sauer055:

SirMichael :wall: :wall:

ScreaminEagle3

Re: Wireless Phone Service.......?????
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:04:41 AM »

We have been very pleased with Verizon! They will even let you keep your old carriers number.

Good Luck

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:15:12 AM »

We had Nextel at work and wanted something that cost less, so we shopped the different carriers for different packages and ended up trying Alltel.  Their service was OK in the city center, but just a few miles outside it dropped off sharply.  Returned all 12 phones before the 15 day grace period and switched to Sprint.  This was about the time that Sprint and Nextel merged a few years ago, and Sprint's service didn't work in some of our locations either, so those went back as well.  We finally ended up with Verizon, and coverage in most areas is really good, but we do have some dead spots and buildings it doesn't work in. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can keep your number, move carriers and have 15 days to try the service before you're truly on the hook for the multiple year commitment.  We have saved quite a bit in switching, and Verizon has the largest network, but now Nextel has a $99 all inclusive unlimited deal that sounds inviting.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:17:21 AM »

I've had/used Alltel since '89 and have been very pleased w/their service. Verizon just bought out Alltel which will make them the largest cellular carrier in the US (pending FCC approval).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 06:48:13 AM »

I've had/used Alltel since '89 and have been very pleased w/their service......
I should edit that to say currently the sign on the building says "Alltel". My provider started out as Centel Cellular, then Sprint, then 360, then Alltel, and will be changing to Verizon (I think I got the order of changes right).

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:16:32 AM »

In Consumer Reports annual customer ratings, Verizon has been the overall winner for many years now.  There are smaller regional carriers that rate highly in certain cities, but if you're looking for a national carrier Verizon is the one to beat.

Personally, I have Cingular/AT&T and have no real complaints other than the ones most cellular customers have, like BS add-on fees. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:17:10 AM »

in the NYC area, Chicago / Milwaukee, LA, SF, and throughout Florida (all areas where I spent enough time over the last 5-10 years or so to have an opinion) I have carried both a Cingular / AT&T phone (Blackberry for work) and my own personal phone (Verizon).

In every case, Verizon had better coverage, better clarity, fewer dropped calls

I used AT&T as my Blackberry carrier because (at least then) Verizon didn't offer international service.

Oh but in the Adirondacks, ya got nuthin.  Won't matter who ya pick up there, service is almost nonexistent except here and there  8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:27:43 AM »

in the NYC area, Chicago / Milwaukee, LA, SF, and throughout Florida (all areas where I spent enough time over the last 5-10 years or so to have an opinion) I have carried both a Cingular / AT&T phone (Blackberry for work) and my own personal phone (Verizon).

In every case, Verizon had better coverage, better clarity, fewer dropped calls

I used AT&T as my Blackberry carrier because (at least then) Verizon didn't offer international service.

Oh but in the Adirondacks, ya got nuthin.  Won't matter who ya pick up there, service is almost nonexistent except here and there  8)

Yeah and Nextel used to suck pretty bad. I've had Nextel for over 10 years now and was gonna switch to Verizon. But in the Adirondacks, I got service this time. They've definitely expanded their areas and it's noticeably better. Used to only get it in cities or along Interstates. Now it's not too bad.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »

I guess it depends on where you live, but here in Oklahoma I have found that AT&T is the best option.  AT&T seems to have better coverage in more areas.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 02:15:19 PM »

Well, I have Sprint for my personal cellular (mainly because the daughter has Sprint, and my wife and her can talk "free" all day long, if they want), and the coverage is adequate.  (I do a lot of traveling).  My work Blackberry is ATT and their coverage is adequate too; and my work cell is Verizon.  They seem to have the best overall coverage and best roaming agreements with the smaller regional and local carriers.   My broadband data card is with Sprint and I like their data network better than Verizon's, even though they use the same technology.  Sprint seems to have built out their EVDO rev A network more than Verizon has.   :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:29:01 PM »

I am leaning towards Verizon, some people say that Sprint is getting better, but they are just a hassel to deal with!!

Verizon has the 30-day trial thing, maybe we'll try them and see how they are!!

SirMichael :vrolijk_10:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 02:26:59 AM »

We have been very pleased with Verizon! They will even let you keep your old carriers number.

Good Luck
Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 06:13:59 AM »

I have used Verizon for several years.  It made a noticeable difference in my ability to receive a signal at my home.  I checked Consumer Reports and they Find Verizon to be #1 in the majority of cities tested.  Where they are not #1 they are #2.  I am very happy compared to Suncom who was my previous provider.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »

I've been with ATT for years mostly due to International use and 3G speeds

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »

Sprint 'Everything' $99 plan on my Windows Mobile phone for business, & US Cellular from my days living in WI where the small towns had no other carrier coverage.
Here in New Orleans, the US Cell phone has been roaming on Verizon for several years with no carrier issues & the Sprint internet coverage here is awesome!
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 08:38:52 AM »

Haven't been on the site in awhile, but I was just wondering what phone service everyone likes?

We have had Nextel for awhile now and lately they have been messing up, so we have been trying to figure out what we wanted to do, our local store said to switch to Sprint service, we thought that they were the same, but I guess that even though they are the same company now, they still have different services!! :nixweiss:

Anyways, we tried to do the Sprint thing and that was a huge hassle, major headaches, so we gave that up and went back to the nextel for now and are thinking about trying Verizon!

So basically, my question to all, which service do you guys like? Since alot of you guys travel around alot, does your phone service work good for you? :confused5:

The whole phone thing will make your head explode!!!   :sauer055: :sauer055:

SirMichael :wall: :wall:

Verizon for over 17 years including all the mergers-great coverage overall except in my office where I spend 50 hours a week-shortly after hiring a new manager he was meeting with me in my office and got a call-there I sit dumbfounded that I have 1 bar and he is getting a call-later that week I call him and he receives my call in the BASEMENT-I switched to T-Mobile the next day-not quite the coverage Verizon has in the suburbs and since I am not in need of service there more than a few hours a year the switch worked for me. We have family in Italy and T-Mobile works throughout Europe also a plus. It really depends on where you have the need for service. SO if I was in a job needing to travel, based on my experience Verizon would be my recommendation and in my office in Seattle T-Mobile has made the difference.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 08:50:35 AM »

Verizon all the way.  However, I am biased since I work for Verizon.  Keep me employed!!! :orange:
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »

We're on Verizon and we talk free mobil to mobil.  Service is great across the nation.  While on new construction in the bay area, most of the contractors use Nextel (some use other services) but none could get the service that I was getting.

My one frustration is that at times, I don't get a voice mail till hours later and at times, the next day or two days later.  Doesn't happen often, but it does happen from time to time. :nixweiss: 

But traveling, I don't think Verizon can be beat. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 10:54:45 AM »

I use a verizon blackberry and I carry a verizon wireless usb modem, so I can get internet access on my laptop when ever where ever...  Very pleased with the service...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 06:17:50 PM »

Verizon for years (20+ started a Cellular One here) in Washington State.

Service all over, Canada in the dumbest places, direct to voicemail too.

Not sure how much folks use the cell but my personal minutes do and have run at or above 3,000 a month for many years.

Way cheap now compared to years ago.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »

Verizon for years (20+ started a Cellular One here) in Washington State.

Service all over, Canada in the dumbest places, direct to voicemail too.

Not sure how much folks use the cell but my personal minutes do and have run at or above 3,000 a month for many years.

Way cheap now compared to years ago.
Haven't you been in Verizon commercials?...... "Can you hear me now?". :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 06:37:36 PM »

Haven't you been in Verizon commercials?...... "Can you hear me now?". :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Check the video on my first NEC phone.............. http://test.cetconnect.org/msie_video.asp?conf=rating-0recorded-0&topic=Action+Auction&id=933   Check out the modern car ::)

The phone was a POS and I switched to a Motorola Brick Phone the next month.  If I recall the Brick was recently marked down from $3000.00 to $1995.00 that month.  What a deal.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:40:49 PM by Rjob749 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »

Check the video on my first NEC phone.............. http://test.cetconnect.org/msie_video.asp?conf=rating-0recorded-0&topic=Action+Auction&id=933   Check out the modern car ::)

The phone was a POS and I switched to a Motorola Brick Phone the next month.  If I recall the Brick was recently marked down from $3000.00 to $1995.00 that month.  What a deal.
Wow, that is an old one. I worked part-time selling cell phones, and pagers in the early 90's. We used to sell NEC as one of our top line phone. I would push the heck out of bag phones over mobile (permenant installed), and portables. Bag phones would offer you the same wattage as mobiles and you could move them around. When cellular towers were limited you needed the extra power. Anyway thanks for the blast from the past. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedBone

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE Copper Canyon
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »

I work for them all Verizon,Sprint,Att,T-mobile,on the cell site and central office sides(install and upgrade radios and install Fiber optics and so on) At&t has the most amount of cell sites so the better signal in most not all areas I travel all around the US for all of them and as a general rule they are it sprint not so good in alot of areas verizon never had,heard they are good just my 2 cents worth.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.