Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: The Ultimate Place to Live?  (Read 8268 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: The Ultimate Place to Live?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »

Best places to retire: Beaufort, SC. Why I'm here I don't know, my father says I've got too many years ahead of me to think about "retiring".

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/moneymag/0809/gallery.bestplaces_retire.moneymag/2.html

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »

Colorado, not to much hot weather in the summer, usually not to much really cold weather in the winter, unless your in the mountains. Over 300 days a year of at least partial sun, humidity usually in the 30-40% range, lots of events going on all summer and winter. I ride every month of the year, with the exception of the year before last, had a hard winter, missed December.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »

Ontario Canada if you like snow, cold, high taxes, high gas prices, high cost of living and a short riding season. THE Muffman

Are you on the chamber of commerce, a motivational speaker, or a salesman? LOL
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »

This is a very interesting thread.  I live in a place I really like to live from the aspect of it's a small town area.  It has very pretty scenery.  There is the Shawnee National Forrest that provides tons of good riding.  I am 2 hours from St. Louis, 5 hours from Chicago, 4 hours from Indianapolis, 3 hours to Nashville, 4 hours to Memphis.  The weather is good, very little snow and cold.  This is my home where family is so I am partial to the area.  The downsides are, this is still in Illinois, which is really the state of Chicago.  The taxes are high, gas is high, 1 of only 2 states with no right to carry, and we get NO money for anything down here.  We got no voice in the legislature due to Chicago.  But the biggest issue here is NO JOBS.  I got lucky and found a job, but had to leave and get some experience to come back and be able to make a living.  I'm in telecommunications so if something happens to my job I would have to move.  And my job is.....well.......scary.  My wife's job is a little scary too.  SO, I am contemplating a move and will be watching this thread very carefully.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »

Yea, I'm in telecom too, there's so many people out of work in this field, it makes it tough. We've been seeing people let go for six or seven years here. I'm the last in my office out of 12 people. If I loose my job, I'm going to do something different. I have almost everything paid off so if I work for less wouldn't be a big deal. Good luck!

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 11:32:49 AM »

Thanks Talon.  I hope to have some options soon, I am about finished with my BS in Business Management (thanks VZ for the education).  I have been in Management for 2 1/2 years now so I would think I am marketable if this job goes down.  However, I know it won't be around here.  There is just no growth at all around here in any field. 

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »

Are you on the chamber of commerce, a motivational speaker, or a salesman? LOL

Just some guy who doesn't have a clue what he's doing in this frozen tundra.  ;D   THE MUFFMAN

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 11:52:25 AM »

Just some guy who doesn't have a clue what he's doing in this frozen tundra.  ;D   THE MUFFMAN

I got a buddy that lives in fargo.  He calls it fargin icehole!!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »

Yea, I'm in telecom too, there's so many people out of work in this field, it makes it tough. We've been seeing people let go for six or seven years here. I'm the last in my office out of 12 people. If I loose my job, I'm going to do something different. I have almost everything paid off so if I work for less wouldn't be a big deal. Good luck!

You can rule out homebuilding!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »

Just some guy who doesn't have a clue what he's doing in this frozen tundra.  ;D   THE MUFFMAN

Think about it, a whole country north on Minnesota!  ??? Brrrr...

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »

You can rule out homebuilding!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

At the beginning of summer I managed five sites, now I have two. I was thinking of working for one of the local breweries! :drink:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 12:00:45 PM »

At the beginning of summer I managed five sites, now I have two. I was thinking of working for one of the local breweries! :drink:

Taster!

Cool!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

straightshoooter

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 SERG BLUE/BLUE
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »

This is a very interesting thread.  I live in a place I really like to live from the aspect of it's a small town area.  It has very pretty scenery.  There is the Shawnee National Forrest that provides tons of good riding.  I am 2 hours from St. Louis, 5 hours from Chicago, 4 hours from Indianapolis, 3 hours to Nashville, 4 hours to Memphis.  The weather is good, very little snow and cold.  This is my home where family is so I am partial to the area.  The downsides are, this is still in Illinois, which is really the state of Chicago.  The taxes are high, gas is high, 1 of only 2 states with no right to carry, and we get NO money for anything down here.  We got no voice in the legislature due to Chicago.  But the biggest issue here is NO JOBS.  I got lucky and found a job, but had to leave and get some experience to come back and be able to make a living.  I'm in telecommunications so if something happens to my job I would have to move.  And my job is.....well.......scary.  My wife's job is a little scary too.  SO, I am contemplating a move and will be watching this thread very carefully.

I started this thread to take advantage of all you guys living literally everywhere.  I'm already getting a lot of PM's from members from Colorado and Arizona.  A few places my wife and I are looking at.  I loved the South Dakota members comments, hilarious.  Anyway, Illinois is kind of like Southern California.  Our weather is fantastic but the traffic is the worst in the US, gas prices are high, the State tax is probably going to go up to 10%, we're 20 billion in debt, now Arnold's looking at robbing from the lottery till.  My house was 1.2 million which means my property taxes are 16k a year.  Very expensive state to live in, you can't make it if you're not well off or in my case my wife and I have both had full-time jobs are entire time of 25 years.  I'm getting ready to retire young and want to go somewhere quieter and cheaper!!  Thanks for all the input, I'm sure everyone is getting some value from it. 
"HE WHO LOSES WEALTH LOSES MUCH; HE WHO LOSES A FRIEND LOSES MORE; BUT HE THAT LOSES COURAGE LOSES ALL."

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »

I'd need lots of money.

1. Spring early summer home in NorCal
2. Summah/fall home in New England
3. Winter/spring home in south Florida

Bikes/boats at each residence

Not asking for much huh?

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 12:24:37 PM »

I'd need lots of money.

1. Spring early summer home in NorCal
2. Summah/fall home in New England
3. Winter/spring home in south Florida

Bikes/boats at each residence

Not asking for much huh?

What about women???  THE MUFFMAN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.