Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: General photography discussion  (Read 10639 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: General photography discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »

Thanks guys......for the tips.

Just got home from work.  My shorter lense is the Nikon DX, VR  18-55.  Not quite the lense that you mention Terry and that will probably be the one I get if I invest in another.....but for now, this one is working fine.

Yes, it's the LCD display on the back that shows a bunch of dust on the back of the camera but doesn't show up when I post the pics on here.

Oh yes Terry, I know about using the flash for fill in those situations that you mention where the background is brighter than what your object is.  Clear on that one and how it works.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »

Thanks guys......for the tips.

Just got home from work.  My shorter lense is the Nikon DX, VR  18-55.  Not quite the lense that you mention Terry and that will probably be the one I get if I invest in another.....but for now, this one is working fine.

What is the apature range of your 18-55 (3.5?)? Looks like the 16-85 is 3.5, so I wouldn't think buying a new lens for that minimal gain (55 up to 85) would be a good deal... but as I said, I'm just maiking it up as I go, so if I'm wrong, I'm sure TC will set me straight  :)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »

What is the apature range of your 18-55 (3.5?)? Looks like the 16-85 is 3.5, so I wouldn't think buying a new lens for that minimal gain (55 up to 85) would be a good deal... but as I said, I'm just maiking it up as I go, so if I'm wrong, I'm sure TC will set me straight  :)

The 18-55 is a kit lens, although pretty good for a kit lens. And far superior to the crap Nikon use to use with film camera kits.
The 16-85VR is a far superior lens with similar specs and cost of the 18-200 VR
But - the 18-200 has been updated to the VR 2. I haven't seen any updates for the 16-85

The new 18-200 supposedly adds about 2 additional stops and a lock to keep the lens from "zooming" when you let the camera hang lens down.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »

Duane...agreed, the kit 18-55 is a decent lens.  I owned the 18-200 for several years, and if I just was able to choose one lens, it's a good choice, though a little big for general carrying around.  It's also a little soft from 135 out to 200...just on the edges.  It has always been VR2 though...it didn't say that on the lens, but it is.  The lock keeps the lens from creeping when carrying it around in the fully retracted position, but you can accomplish the same thing with a rubber band on the barrel.  I sold mine before the new edition came out and got the 16-85.  It's VR2 as well, though again, it does not say that on the lens.  They claim VR2 gets you 4 stops, but in practice, I've found 3 stops is about all I can really get while still getting 80% keepers...that number drops to about 30% keepers if I try to go 4 stops.  VR is the greatest thing since sliced bread though.

The reason for the 16-85 is that I found that 80% of my shots were between 18 and 100mm, but often found myself wanting just a tad wider...2mm does not seem like much, but in practice, it's pretty significant when at 16mm.  Also, on DX, IMO, portraits are best in the 50-85 range, so that was another good reason for the switch to the 16-85, plus, it really sharp throughout it's range, though it needs to be stopped down (higher F number) when at 16mm.  For landscapes, it is, IMO, an ideal lens.  If I shot a lot of portraits, I'd probably get the 85 1.8 to blow out the background a bit better, but for my type of shooting, I'm not generally concerned about Bokeh, and if I need to be concerned about that, I just use the great, but very inexpensive 50 1.8...a real bargain in the Nikon lineup.  If I want to get really creative, the 10-24 will get me there, but in reality, it only sees limited use...same with the 70-300 VR, though it makes a decent Macro lens when paired with the old Nikon 6T Diopter (they don't make it any more, and if you find one, it'll cost you)...even though the new 70-300 is a 67mm filter thread, a step down ring and the 62mm 6T works just fine, with no vingetting.  Extension rings will get you there too, with the Kenko AF rings being the best, again IMO.  But the 6T is easier.  Canon still offers excellent diopters at 72mm, which can always be used with stepup rings.

All the 2.8 or faster lenses are great glass, if you need it, but you pay for it both in price and weight/size.  The new 70-200 VR2 is a fantastic lens, as is the older 24-70 2.8, but they are beasts to carry around.  But, if you need the speed, those are two great ones.  Sigma now offers some great lenses in 2.8 glass, from the reviews I've read.  If you shoot sports action, fast glass is absolutely necessary...or concerts, etc.
In good light, the G10 is hard to beat, and I hear the G12 is way better at higher ISO's (up to about 800, where the G10 get a lot of noise).
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 11:49:55 PM »

OK, technically they are both VRII - but only one is labeled with a II. The newer version (gold "VR" letters at the top of the barrel) has the lens lock and supposedly different coatings on the glass.

Original (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR)

New    (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR) II

Both VRII

Although, the new version has it labeled on the lens as follows:

AF-S NIKKOR 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED

MV 2013

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 12:30:12 AM »

OK, technically they are both VRII - but only one is labeled with a II. The newer version (gold "VR" letters at the top of the barrel) has the lens lock and supposedly different coatings on the glass.

Original (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR)

New    (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR) II

Both VRII

Although, the new version has it labeled on the lens as follows:

AF-S NIKKOR 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED

Agreed...it probably does have the nano coating, and definitely has the lock feature, although it is still not critically sharp at the longer end, but that doesn't matter, because it's all on the edges.

TTS Mastertune

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »

anyone gonna try and get some good SUPER MOON shots this evening? I'm gonna try and get up in the mountains to get a cool shot.

Hadn't even considered trying to work the bike into a shot until I came here to post. hmmmmm  would definitely be a lighting challenge!!!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »

anyone gonna try and get some good SUPER MOON shots this evening? I'm gonna try and get up in the mountains to get a cool shot.

Hadn't even considered trying to work the bike into a shot until I came here to post. hmmmmm  would definitely be a lighting challenge!!!

It'll be cloudy here tonight.  You could try two shots...place the moon where you want it for one shot, with the moon fairly large, then take another of the bike, perhaps using some off camera flash, or "paint with light".  Then combine the layers in photoshop, if you have it.

TTS Mastertune

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »

It'll be cloudy here tonight.  You could try two shots...place the moon where you want it for one shot, with the moon fairly large, then take another of the bike, perhaps using some off camera flash, or "paint with light".  Then combine the layers in photoshop, if you have it.

good idea! Wi'll see what I can come up with

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »

good idea! Wi'll see what I can come up with

You suck for living in Colorado  ;)  I LOVE it out there...only been there four times, and none of those times were long enough.  With the housing market the way it is now, I'm pretty much stuck here in Alabama for a few years, which isn't a bad thing.  You just get a different kind of shot here when out doing photography...not many wide open spaces, and everything is green in late Spring/Summer.

TTS Mastertune

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »

You suck for living in Colorado  ;)  I LOVE it out there...only been there four times, and none of those times were long enough.  With the housing market the way it is now, I'm pretty much stuck here in Alabama for a few years, which isn't a bad thing.  You just get a different kind of shot here when out doing photography...not many wide open spaces, and everything is green in late Spring/Summer.

lol

I do love it here... gotta be around the mountains. Spent 6 years living in Missouri... was a long 6 years, but at least there was the bass fishing... lol

We still have no idea where we're gonna retire; wife doesn't want to be stuck in snow, but I gotta have 4 (or at least 3.5) seasons and mountains. Only got 4.5 years to get it figured out, so we better figure it out soon.  :-\

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 11:50:25 PM »

Lots of great info here. I wish we were all a bit closer so we could get together.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »

Didn't get any good moon shots... clouds screwed it up, and the couple shots I might have gotten, I screwed them up by not using the remote shutter release.  :nixweiss:

Did do some hiking yesterday and tried to get some cool shots of ice in a waterfall, but most of the time, they don't turn out as cool as they do in my head... so we'll see when I get process them... lol

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »

Didn't get any good moon shots... clouds screwed it up, and the couple shots I might have gotten, I screwed them up by not using the remote shutter release.  :nixweiss:

Did do some hiking yesterday and tried to get some cool shots of ice in a waterfall, but most of the time, they don't turn out as cool as they do in my head... so we'll see when I get process them... lol

Post a couple anyway...

TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »

Not bad for a zoom. Haven't gotten the $$$ yet to go for a 400 or 600 tele.

This is low in the sky (about 10 degrees). The oblong shape is due to the atmospere

MV 2013

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 21 queries.