Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: General photography discussion  (Read 10634 times)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: General photography discussion
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »

Sfarson,

Where are you? With the great pics I have seen you post in the past, you would be very helpful.

Still got the GS?

geezerglide
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:41:58 PM by geezerglide »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »

I'm still trying to find the happy medium for the saturation with both the D300 and 7000
+1 doesn't seem to be enough and +2 is too much for my liking.

I use +1 for one of my Custom settings which I use for landscapes, etc.  I use another Custom setting that is "neutral".  My sharpening is generally set to about 5 in the camera.  Those are for RAW photos, in 14 bit mode, lossless compressed, and another setting for uncompressed.  If I need more than that, I do it in PP either in NX2 or LR2.  No Adobe product will read the in camera settings, but as you know, you can import with one of Adobe's pre-sets, which work pretty well.  NX2 gives me one feature I like, and that is a color control point that really works well for saturating/desaturating particular things in the photo...if I then send the file to LR, I do it as a TIFF file.  Which program I use depends on the photo to a great extent.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »

I just upgraded to a D300s...will either keep the D90 or a friend is interested.  Have not used it yet other than testing it out along with the two new zooms, $$$!

I wish I had my CPL for this flag shot (Arizona Memorial) taken back in Feb when Anne and I went to Maui and Oahu.  
D90
18-200mm @18mm
f/10
1/200sec
ISO 200.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:15:29 PM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »

NX2 gives me one feature I like, and that is a color control point that really works well for saturating/desaturating particular things in the photo...if I then send the file to LR, I do it as a TIFF file.  Which program I use depends on the photo to a great extent.

I only just started to try View NX2, which I guess is a watered down version of NX2.
Previous versions were horrible - so I wasn't going to even bother loading it. Just need some more hours in the day now.

The problem is "what" PP software do you buy if you are not making money with the work?
My daughter has become pretty good with Adobe - but she still lives in the UK and can't help me much.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:06:20 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »

I just upgraded to a D300s...will either keep the D90 or a friend is interested.  Have not used it yet other than testing it out along with the two new zooms, $$$!

I wish I had my CPL for this flag shot (Arizona Memorial) taken back in Feb when Anne and I went to Maui and Oahu.  
D90
18-200mm @18mm
f/10
1/200sec
ISO 200.

Bill

bought a used D300s on ebay 3-4 months ago, but haven't had the heart to get rid of my D80 yet... lol
Doing basketball I actually threw the 70-200 2.8 on the 300 and an 18-70 on the D80 and worked both ends of the court.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »

bought a used D300s on ebay 3-4 months ago, but haven't had the heart to get rid of my D80 yet... lol
Doing basketball I actually threw the 70-200 2.8 on the 300 and an 18-70 on the D80 and worked both ends of the court.

I think you will find that the D300s will be your go-to camera, once you get used to it.  I've never had a D80, but from things I've read, that particular body had some issues with the metering system.  Not that it didn't work, it just worked differently than prior bodies, and was not well received with Nikon owners.

If you don't already know about this guys site, check it out:  http://www.bythom.com/index.htm

He does a lot of real life reviews of mostly Nikon stuff.  He also has EXCELLENT instructional CD's for the various Nikon bodies, and they are written in such a way that you will actually use some of the settings he recommends.  They are PDF files, so you can print them if you want.  Money well spent, IMO.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:30 PM »

I only just started to try View NX2, which I guess is a watered down version of NX2.
Previous versions were horrible - so I wasn't going to even bother loading it. Just need some more hours in the day now.

The problem is "what" PP software do you buy if you are not making money with the work?
My daughter has become pretty good with Adobe - but she still lives in the UK and can't help me much.

Yep...View is a watered down version.  There are some things I like about it though...however, if I could only have one PP software program, it would be Lightroom, by Adobe.  I have V. 2 but they now have V.3...you can download a trial for free.  Overall, it is probably the best PP software out there for several reasons...first, it's like "photoshop lite" in some of the things it can do; it has (v.3) really good noise reduction algorithms; it has most camera bodies/lenses covered in the application; and finally, it is probably the very best cataloging software out there, and it never touches your original file, unless you tell it to.  Full blown Photoshop is just too much for me to learn...you could spend a lifetime and never learn everything it can do.  Lightroom contains most everything you need to do what you are going to do with an image.  The only downside compared to NX2 is it does not read in camera settings...Nikon will not give their "secrets" away to Adobe, so everyone has to backwards engineer their software to get close to what the Nikon bodies can do in camera.  Adobe comes really close with some of their import pre-sets.  LR is quickly becoming the "standard" by which everything else is measured, IMO.

TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »

bodies/lenses covered in the application

How about lens perspective corrections? Interesting on the Nikon side. The new 7000 has perspective correction built in. Bit hard to see what you are doing sometimes using a 3" screen.

The only downside compared to NX2 is it does not read in camera settings...Nikon will not give their "secrets" away to Adobe, so everyone has to backwards engineer their software to get close to what the Nikon bodies can do in camera.  

Which settings are you referring to, image settings or camera settings? And if camera setting will NX2 allow you to set camera setting and then download to the body?

Full blown Photoshop is just too much for me to learn...you could spend a lifetime and never learn everything it can do.

And then they upgrade the software  :drink:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

jmhenrie

• Full CVO Member
  • expensive oil change

• CVO1: 2007 screaming eagle electra glide Gone
    • CVO2: 2010 screeming Eagle electra glide cvo limited black
    • CVO3: 2012 cvo electra glide Electic Orange/black
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »

I agree that lightroom 3 is my favorite overall processor, comming from Capture NX2, it was easy to learn just does not have the control points and camera settings. If I want to keep the in camera view i import into Lightroom 3 then open the original raw file from lightroom using capture NX2 make any changes to the camera settings, use my controll points then export as a tiff back into lightroom where the new tiff photo shows up right along side the raw file.  One of the Nikon Pros i had a chance to work with uses this method also so that he can keep the Digital lighting settings from the camera.
cheers
Mike

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »

How about lens perspective corrections? Interesting on the Nikon side. The new 7000 has perspective correction built in. Bit hard to see what you are doing sometimes using a 3" screen.

Which settings are you referring to, image settings or camera settings? And if camera setting will NX2 allow you to set camera setting and then download to the body?

And then they upgrade the software  :drink:

Pretty sure it does the camera/lens perspective info, and I know it reads camera settings, but it does not read image settings you have set in the camera banks.  The biggest thing with NX2 is the control point function....it's really nice.  As mentioned, the great thing about LR is that it is non-destructive to your original file.  Part of it is just a database/library function...but it really helps you find photos easily.  And, it's a really powerful editing software in it's own right.  It's really all 90% of people need, unless you do HDR, or like to do layers, etc.  The great thing is that it takes a lot of Plug-ins, if you want/need them.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.