Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Wisconsin finally gets it!  (Read 4689 times)

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
Wisconsin finally gets it!
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »

Wisconsin was one of 2 states that did not allow it's law abiding citizens to carry their firearms concealed.  Last week Gov. Walker (also a H-D rider by the way) signed the Personal Protection Act into law.  It closely parallels Florida and Utah's law (which are the 2 all the states are compared to).  It was about time.  We have fought long for this. 16 years in the making.  Reciprocity with the other CCW states will be next.  Thanks Governor Walker for supporting the rights of the good citizens of Wisconsin.  Illinois is the last hold-out.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Wisconsin finally gets it!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »

I got stopped by a state tropper in my home state of TN a couple years ago for, er, riding enthusiastically shall we say.  Long story short I did not get a ticket but when he checked me for wants and warrants he could tell that I have a concealed carry permit because he asked me if I had a weapon with me.  But I wonder if other jurisdictions (like Illinois and/or states that do not recriprocate) one might be traveling through would have that information also.  Sure hate to be packing and get stopped in Illinois and asked.  You would be screwed if you lied and got caught and if you told the truth that would be bad also.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »

I got stopped by a state tropper in my home state of TN a couple years ago for, er, riding enthusiastically shall we say.  Long story short I did not get a ticket but when he checked me for wants and warrants he could tell that I have a concealed carry permit because he asked me if I had a weapon with me.  But I wonder if other jurisdictions (like Illinois and/or states that do not recriprocate) one might be traveling through would have that information also.  Sure hate to be packing and get stopped in Illinois and asked.  You would be screwed if you lied and got caught and if you told the truth that would be bad also.
Jerry I know for sure that in my home state (VA) if you are a resident and have a CWP when you are stopped by LEO and they run your DL (Drivers License) info will come back to the LEO that you have/have not a CWP. To be on the safe side if you have one (CWP) let the LEO know and if you are carrying at that particular time let him know where your weapon is... lot better for them to know you are carrying and where it is then to find out "after the fact" and they have you spread out on the pavement checking for weapons because you didn't tell them. IMO "respect" both ways goes a long way. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:32:54 AM »

Jerry, isn't the concealed carry endorsement on your driver's license?  If so then when stopped very specifically and politely point out the endorsement as you hand over the license (whether you're asked for it or not).

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:16:29 AM »

It's not on the Va license, we have a seperate card for the permit. Some states require that you tell the officer that you have a permit and are carrying when stopped, some don't.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »

Separate card in TN also.  Not on DL.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »

never heard of that being on a DL. separate card in MA too.  never been pulled over while carrying but i think the best course of action would be to inform the office while both hands are clearly in view before making any moves
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »

never heard of that being on a DL. separate card in MA too.  never been pulled over while carrying but i think the best course of action would be to inform the office while both hands are clearly in view before making any moves

Some do and some don't (on the DL).  For some reason I thought TN did so Jerry would have it there.

That variance in standards and reporting is one of the difficulties though.  Makes it where LEOs (and others) can't ever feel quite sure they've got all the info they want or need when they feel they need it.

KKM

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »

NRA has some info on State-to-State Reciprocity
Still an "iffy" area but I agree it is best to be up front and polite when stopped.
So far I have only been stopped out of curiosity re the bike... Oh yeah there was that time I was upside-down and off the road...
Kevin

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/Recguide.pdf

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »

California does not track CCWP on your drivers license and three years ago i found out the hard way that being a nice guy up front does not guarantee a fit of the handcuffs. I got pulled over for speeding by a motor cop and when asked for my driver license i also handed him my CCW letting him know i was carrying a Glock 40 in my fanny pack. He immediately asked me to step out of my truck and proceded to handcuff me, saying this is for safety of both him and me until he checks out my CCWP. So after 10 minutes being in handcuffs while he checks everything out, he un clicks the cuffs while making fun of my Glock telling me how great the Sig 226 are.. So i kiss his ass and tell him i'll have to check em out.. He pulled me over for doing 50 in a 35 using his radar, and got a nice warning to slow it down.. Then about a year latter i got pulled over by a CHP for crossing a double line to pass (I was going around a Semi up hill and he was pretty much set up there as a trap) I was packing that day too and decided not to say a word about it... Him and i were exchanging words as i was accusing him of setting up a ticket trap. Nothing came out about by CCW, i went to court and fought the ticket, the judge compromised and said he would drop the ticket charge if i paid court cost... $180.... which i did.   :P
Needless to say,, i was a bit concerned during that episode because i had the CHP pretty angry and he would have loved to take advantage if he learned i was packing... That situation was a catch 22,, i probably should have told him but by the time i realized this, it was to late as i had him pissed off pretty good..  :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:11:56 PM by cvobiker »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »

Not on our license in Alabama, separate card.  Polite thing to do is advise the officer if you have a CC on you.  Saves them from getting a little paranoid if they see it.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »

Not on our DL  in NC, but req'd. to inform anytime in presence of LEO.  That is part of the CCL and to not follow that req'mt. could result in loss of CCP.  Anytime they pull you over, they've already prolly aware that you're a CCP if they've already called it in to dispatch as to the plate number 'cause it's married to your DL and the dispatcher informs them at the same time they inform as to warrents, etc.  So.....best have both hands visible & inform as soon as you start talking and hope that you've got a professional who's not having a 'bad day'.   ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »

I was told during my class given by a city cop that he recomended the don't tell if not asked policy. He said some might get aggressive after finding out you have a carry permit. Like CVOBiker said being nice and polite still gets you the cuffs. If you ahve broken no laws then you should net be treated like you have. Screw-em. >:(

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »

Separate card in TN also.  Not on DL.
Yep, separate card!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »

California does not track CCWP on your drivers license and three years ago i found out the hard way that being a nice guy up front does not guarantee a fit of the handcuffs. I got pulled over for speeding by a motor cop and when asked for my driver license i also handed him my CCW letting him know i was carrying a Glock 40 in my fanny pack. He immediately asked me to step out of my truck and proceded to handcuff me, saying this is for safety of both him and me until he checks out my CCWP. So after 10 minutes being in handcuffs while he checks everything out, he un clicks the cuffs while making fun of my Glock telling me how great the Sig 226 are.. So i kiss his ass and tell him i'll have to check em out.. He pulled me over for doing 50 in a 35 using his radar, and got a nice warning to slow it down.. Then about a year latter i got pulled over by a CHP for crossing a double line to pass (I was going around a Semi up hill and he was pretty much set up there as a trap) I was packing that day too and decided not to say a word about it... Him and i were exchanging words as i was accusing him of setting up a ticket trap. Nothing came out about by CCW, i went to court and fought the ticket, the judge compromised and said he would drop the ticket charge if i paid court cost... $180.... which i did.   :P
Needless to say,, i was a bit concerned during that episode because i had the CHP pretty angry and he would have loved to take advantage if he learned i was packing... That situation was a catch 22,, i probably should have told him but by the time i realized this, it was to late as i had him pissed off pretty good..  :P
Cop was both a ninny and a moron.  I'm not surprised that happened in California. Cop was probably a liberal and didn't like the idea of a citizen being able to carry. But once you checked out he knew there wasn't S%&# he could do. Most Cops realize that honest law abiding citizens are no threat to them.  This cop that hand cuffed you was chicken $h1% and overreacting.  CCW permit holders are the good guys and most law enforcement officers realize it. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 21 queries.