Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Legal Question  (Read 5699 times)

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
Re: Legal Question
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 12:37:05 AM »

You were in a CAGE

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 09:06:21 AM »

Clearly you did the crime & got caught. Man up and pay the fine. Negotiating to a lower penalty is legit. Lawyer up if that helps but stop trying to justify the action. If you want to regurlarly operate outside the law then move somewhere where the law is more loosely applied.

Good advice.
If you do the crime you better be prepared to do the time.
Everything fun has a cost, get a good lawyer and save that insurance money.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »

Clearly you did the crime & got caught. Man up and pay the fine. Negotiating to a lower penalty is legit. Lawyer up if that helps but stop trying to justify the action. If you want to regurlarly operate outside the law then move somewhere where the law is more loosely applied.

:2vrolijk_21:

Agreed.  You were doing twice the limit in a residential zone.  Pay it.  Remember it.  Move on. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »

Terry might have started this conversation differently.   The TC to slightly more rational English translation might have been:

Hey guys.  I screwed up and drove too fast; and got caught.  We've all pushed the speed limit sometimes.  I did it big time.  So, I screwed up.  Anyone got any advice on how the system really works and ways I can legitimately mitigate the damage?

TC was upset though.  So he went off a bit.  It wasn't pretty.  Parts of it were a flashback he likely wishes he could take back.  But he's man enough he didn't go back and edit his words.  Choosing instead to let the cards fall where they may.  

So tease the guy a bit.  He certainly deserves it.  Pointed responses from LEOs past and present aren't undeserved either.  TC will take it in the spirit he should.  But name calling beyond that won't serve a purpose other than to make the latest flamer feel proud and radicalize a conversation among riding buddies.  

So, TC, let Toby drive next time.  Sorry you'll have the ticket to pay and the insurance repercussions (deterrence is a bitch sometimes).  Hope you a fruitful discussion with the prosecutor.  And you want to ride somewhere next spring?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »

So tease the guy a bit.  He certainly deserves it.  Pointed responses from LEOs past and present aren't undeserved either.  TC will take it in the spirit he should.  But name calling beyond that won't serve a purpose other than to make the latest flamer feel proud and radicalize a conversation among riding buddies.  

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »

pay the ticket.  why were you going so fast?  what if you hit a kid or another vehicle, maybe a biker?  you clearly broke the law and were driving in a reckless manner.  Jerks like you kill people

That is rude!!!
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »

Good advice.
If you do the crime you better be prepared to do the time.
Everything fun has a cost, get a good lawyer and save that insurance money.
SBB

Sage advice!   :2vrolijk_21:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »

This could start a new thread in the "Pictures" section:

Show Photos of Your Bike with a Police Cruiser Stopped Behind It!

Knocking on wood and crossing the finger that it stays so; I don't have an even vaguely recent contribution to that thread :drink: .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »

This could start a new thread in the "Pictures" section:

Show Photos of Your Bike with a Police Cruiser Stopped Behind It!

Knocking on wood and crossing the finger that it stays so; I don't have an even vaguely recent contribution to that thread :drink: .

It hasn't happened to you lately or  ::) you don't have a picture of it?

:nixweiss:     :nervous:     :nixweiss:     :nervous:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:17 PM »

pay the ticket.  why were you going so fast?  what if you hit a kid or another vehicle, maybe a biker?  you clearly broke the law and were driving in a reckless manner.  Jerks like you kill people

Not going to get into a name calling contest here.  I would NEVER speed in an area where there was a danger of causing harm to others.  This particular 2600' (I've mapped it and measured it) section of road has a clear line of sight, is not a residential street, it was dark so I could see there was no other traffic on the road, either behind me or in front of me, and there was no chance of anyone pulling out from the two side streets intersecting the road, as there were no other vehicles within the line of sight.

People speed on this section all the time.  That doesn't make it right, but it's a fact.  I was unfortunate enough to be the one who they stopped that night...could be that I was the only one on the road at that particular time, so was an easy target.  I'll pay the ticket...I have to go to court anyway, so will at least have an opportunity to explain what actually happened, which is different than what is stated by the officer on the ticket.  It probably won't matter, but I'll calmly explain things anyway, being respectful, of course.

Charlie...I have a great deal of respect for most officers, and always have.  As long as they are respectful to me.  Hoover police have a reputation for being a-holes, and this guy upheld that reputation.  So he acted like the stereotypical Pig...wish he hadn't, but he did.  It's a personality type.  While I am required to respect the uniform, and in most cases do, I am not required to respect the man/woman wearing it if they are acting like an ass for no reason other than just because they can.  Maybe he was having a bad night, his blood sugar was low, or he was just pissed off in general.  And when I hear a crotch rocket run through 4-5 gears at 10,000rpm, I can safely assume it's going at least 80-90mph...been there, done it myself.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »

It hasn't happened to you lately or  ::) you don't have a picture of it?

:nixweiss:     :nervous:     :nixweiss:     :nervous:

SBB

Indoobieably!

Ok, full disclosure.  I was pulled over on the red bike shortly after doing the EMS tuner package installation.  Was out on some local county roads I occasionally play on.  They run along quarter sections and have good sight lines.  Nice straight stretches for often a couple miles or more punctuated by some play in between.  So....

I'm out there "tuning" the bike.  Going from 30-60 repetitively and engine braking back down.  So all the fields can get hit.  Then doing the same thing from 40-70 and 50-80 and on up.  During a stretch like this that went from 80 to 110-115 there were those dreaded "cherries from nowhere."  

County patrol.

Guy said he'd been watching me for an hour doing these up and down runs.  "What the hell you doin' son?" was how he phrased the question.  Said he knew I was doing "something" other than just screwing around to drive fast.  Since he asked I explained.

His response then was something like "first time I ever got a straight answer that made sense."  That he'd watched me lay back the few times any other traffic was in sight and never pass another vehicle while logging the tunes also helped.  After we chatted a bit more about the tech the officer asked "you're done for today aren't you?"  To which I gladly said "yes sir."  This was followed by the much anticipated, "that's good and ride safe."  Which I did.

Have no doubt earned a few when just cruising at 15 over.  God knows what the ticket library will hold at St. Peter's just for the days I tried to follow Howie.  But I've been lucky and have not been cited on a bike for a long long time.  This has been thanks a couple times to some very reasonable officers.  

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »

I remember one...I think you got it in Kentucky at the very first RibFest.  ;D

:oops:  Forgot about that one.  That was in '07, I think.  He was a nice guy though, and could have been a butthole.  Between the Rineharts and the Allman Bros in my headset, I didn't even hear the siren until he got right up next to me.  :huepfenlol2:  We had a nice little chat on the side of the road...he complimented my bike and how it sounded...a friendly guy.  I still got the ticket, but he was nice about it.  I mailed that one in, and it never had any impact on my insurance.

Good ribs and beer though....

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »

This isn't my first rodeo either.  I've been stopped a few times in my life for speeding, but because I was generally doing so in a "safe" manner, was honest with the officer, and just generally made the experience as pleasant as it could be, I've gotten off with a warning, and "drive safely".  Always appreciated it too, and let them know that.  I don't get beligerant with somebody who has a gun and handcuffs on their belt.  Handcuffs are uncomfortable.

But, I've had a couple of bad experiences with a couple of different situations.  One while being booked with a lawyer by my side when I was 21 years old...that was at the Jefferson County Jail, and for some reason those Sheriffs didn't like my shoulder length hair at the time.  They were dissapointed that they didn't get to cut it...

Another was about 8 years ago when they got my SS number crossed up with another Terry Crain that lives in the area, and who happened to have a warrant out on him for dealing a controlled substance.  I spent 6 hours straightening that one out one night, part of the time handcuffed to a pipe on a wall in the UAB police station, then finally cuffed and transferred to county jail in the back of a squad car.  It took about 5 minutes to get that resolved once I was at the intake point for the jail and actually got to discuss the situation with a reasonable human being instead of the Barney Fife's UAB calls police men and women.  They acted like P-I-G pigs.  Cuffed me in the middle of the street on the UAB campus...three units responded, and at least 5 cops who frisked me on two different occasions while having my car towed and impounded.  All out in public during rush hour traffic on a campus that employs 20K people. The fact that I was 52 years old at the time, and the guy they were looking for was 25 didn't register with the UAB cops.  Nor did the fact that I was an HR manager for the largest department at UAB.  And I personally knew the Chief of Police for UAB.  I got a written appology from the VP of UAB for that one...should have sued, but it was my employer.  That incident reared it's head more recently when I was denied a concealed carry permit in my county.  I had to get the Jefferson County DA involved to get that mess straightened out once and for all.  Lord only knows what's in some national database from that mistake by the "system".  So yea, I've got a bad taste in my mouth for azzhole cops who use the uniform to treat people like crap and won't listen to a reasonable/logical explanation for why they are making a HUGE mistake.  But just those individuals, not all as a group.  I give everyone the opportunity to not be an azzhole, but some people are born that way.

TTS Mastertune

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 02:58:11 PM »

Driving fast doesn't necessarily constitute driving in a reckless manner. I'd say if anyone was a jerk, (other than you) it would be the cop. TC has already admitted guilt. I don't believe  the purpose of his post was to explain his actions, but rather to enlighten us on  the unprofessional manner the the LEO . Nuff said

Elmar

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: Buell XB12 Ulysses
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »

Just my 2 C on that one.
You guys do not even know how lucky you are.
Being a German who has the pleasure to live in the US (and travels back and force) I have gathered some experience with LEOs in both countries.
Generally:
1) Policemen/women are not known for having any kind of humor
2) Germans are not known for having any kind of humor
3) What do you expect from a German police officer (do the math)
Usually they flash you with a traffic cam and you get a ticket mailed in. No discussion and about no legal way to escape that.
If you were too fast (>25km/h = 16 mls above speed limit) you become a pedestrian for a month, with bad luck for three months.

My experiences in the US, expecially in Wisconsin are WAYYYY better.
I was speeding, got cought, got a verbal warning - thats it. Actually I stressed this "Germans are always fast drivers thing" because of the Autobahn and Porsche and Michael Schumacher and so on... -it worked

Three month later, speeding again with my bike, got cought and (chit hits the fan) SAME police officer.  :o
He smiled and kind of apoligezed that this time he HAS to give me a ticket.  :oops:
End of the day - we "high five" us when ever we see us on the road
and in all honesty since then I drive slower (some 5-5mls over but not more)
YALE rules
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.