Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Concealed carry vs open carry  (Read 2515 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Concealed carry vs open carry
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »

If I had the choice I would continue to carry concealed for the points stated here...why give up the element of surprise by letting the bad guy know you are carrying...but since NY SUCKS, I don't even have a choice......

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »

Louisiana is open carry, concealed with a permit but the unusual thing is that your car is considered like your house, you can have your weapon loaded and concealed under your seat leagaly. If someone sticks his arm in your car you can blow him away and walk away free because he is trespassing and threatening you. If you are stopped for a ticket you don't even have to advise the cop that you are armed.

Glad I was a cop in Calif. and not here...

Colorado is the same way... but being military I never take advantage of it, because while we're trusted to pack automatic weapons ON duty, God forbid you carry on base off duty! Never have figured that one out...

As far as carrying in the open, lots of good reasons posted not to... while it might be your right, it isn't worth A) the ass pain you'll have to endure from all the attention and B) being the first guy a bad guy takes out if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

For example, this story: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/mobile/news/2012/09/ap-marine-helicopter-pilot-sues-over-wyoming-traffic-stop-092412
Marine helo pilot sues over Wyo. traffic stop
By Ben Neary - The Associated Press
Posted: Monday Sep 24, 2012 20:28:05 EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — A Wyoming sheriff’s deputy who detained a combat veteran in handcuffs for openly carrying a pistol offered to let him go if he agreed to let another deputy draw his weapon and shoot if the veteran made any sudden moves while driving away, court records show.

Capt. Robert Pierson, a Marine Corps helicopter pilot who has served two combat tours in Afghanistan, has filed a civil rights lawsuit over the August 2011 incident.

Pierson, 31, of Pensacola, Fla., was carrying the pistol, which is legal in Wyoming, when he was pulled over by Deputy Corry Bassett of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office.

In a sworn statement this month, Bassett acknowledged he offered to release Pierson if he allowed Deputy Rob Andazola to draw his weapon and cover Pierson.

Pierson declined the offer and was released without a citation when a supervisor arrived.

Pierson said he was on a cross-country trip on his Harley-Davidson when Bassett pulled him over outside Alpine in western Wyoming. A person had reported that someone matching Pierson’s description had passed a number of slow-moving motorhomes, authorities said.

“I didn’t know whether kicking my leg over the bike, or walking away, or what they could possibly constitute as a hostile act,” Pierson said in a telephone interview Monday. “I didn’t like the terms. And I was a little unnerved by the fact that they were threatening lethal force with a deadly weapon against a man who was compliant, in handcuffs, who had been screened.”

Pierson said the deputies ran his name and found he had a clean record.

“An escalation of force of that nature was quite more than I was expecting,” he said.

Bassett said in the sworn statement that he had been trained to put his personal safety above the rights of a citizen openly carrying a handgun.

“We’re told every day, our safety is first,” he said. “We’re here to come home every night.”

Patricia L. Bach of the Wyoming Attorney General’s Office represents Bassett and Andazola. She declined comment.

Bassett told Pierson’s attorney, Gary Ferguson, that he detained Pierson because Pierson wouldn’t tell him whether he had a gun.

Pierson, who recorded much of his interaction with Bassett and Andazola, told Bassett only that he didn’t consent to any searches.

Pierson said he is seeking damages, an apology and a statement by the jurisdictions involved that the open carry of handguns is lawful — and that the purpose of government is not officer safety but the protection of peoples’ lives, liberty and property.

“I want that stated as the paramount reason they exist,” he said.

Pierson also said he wants to see Bassett and Andazola off the force.

Pierson said he finds the irony of the situation heartbreaking. “Both sets of officers, the sheriff’s department and myself, we’ve both sworn to uphold the Constitution,” he said.

Guy was completely legal, but had to spend  more than an hour being harrassed by an overzealous LEO.

A much less LEO-sympathetic thread is here: http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?64190-Open-carry-Incident-Wyoming

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »

All I can say is Arizona, Arizona, Arizona.  The greatest state in the US for gun owners.  Open Carry is a daily way of life.

You can carry concealed without a permit, but, you better know the AZ law for no permit concealed carry.  And then there is CCW Permit Carry.

Did  I tell you what a great state this is?

Me, I carry concealed with a permit, however I never worry if my weapon becomes exposed.  It is widely accepted here.  AZ does have a law that permits businesses to post an offocial sign on their door that they do not permit wepons, regardless, that is their right to do so.  They just get boycotted.

Come join us here for more information than anyone can keep up with.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/activity.php

You have a choice on Nov 6th, make the right choice!
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 12:31:45 AM »

Louisiana is open carry, concealed with a permit but the unusual thing is that your car is considered like your house, you can have your weapon loaded and concealed under your seat leagaly. If someone sticks his arm in your car you can blow him away and walk away free because he is trespassing and threatening you. If you are stopped for a ticket you don't even have to advise the cop that you are armed.

Glad I was a cop in Calif. and not here...

This is false. It is open carry in a vehichle only and conceall on person with permit.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 01:48:09 AM »

Ok...a bad guy sees you carry open, without a strap to keep the gun in the holster.  He comes up behind you and takes the gun out and shoots your ass, and whoever else he chooses.  I choose concealed.  Yea, yea...be aware of your surroundings, but there is an exception to every rule, and I choose not to be the exception, because I'm not always, at 61, on my toes.  I'll hide, draw, and shoot if I have the chance.  Otherwise, I'm toast, regardless.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »

Agree with 2Harleys.

That being said, I normally carry concealed, but have open carried.  Mostly on my country land when I had it, but other times as well. 

Before the law was changed, you could not carry concealed in an establishment that serves alcohol, but you could open carry.  Yeah, crazy, I know.  It was intended as a poison pill to the original CCW law.  We don't have bars in VA, just restaurants, but most serve alcohol.  I would carry with my JIT Slide, sport coat or jacket concealing.  When I got to the restaurant, I would take off my jacket, and tried to sit in a booth with my right side to the wall.  Only got comments one time "open" carrying.  That was in a Mexican restaurant.  The male staff admired it, asked me if it was legal (yes), and asked to see it (answer to that was a polite NO).  Been in convenience stores, gas stations, etc. open carrying with never a second glance or comment.

I would not open carry in a mall or department store.  Just common sense.

Not many places here have "no weapons allowed" signs.  Wachovia banks did, don't know if Wells Fargo has carried that tradition, as I normally use the ATM.  They were the most robbed banks in VA  :P .  A few stores in Tidewater fell under the influence of an anti group a few years ago and put up signs, especially in one shopping district.  Gun owners politely talked to the owners and explained why they would no longer be getting their business (victim disarmament zone theory).  A few places put up "legal arms welcome" signs and got overwhelming business. Lots of supporters from out of the area came and spent money.  Most of the anti signs were gone quickly.

Virginia Citizens Defense League does a lot of grass roots work here in the state.  Great group.  http://www.vcdl.org/ 
Spada84
NoSofa!

Blue Bart

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:09 AM »

2011 FLHTCUSE6 - Blue
2012 GMC Denali Dually - Black
2007 Sunnybrook KSURV 391 - 5th wheel toyhauler
USMC
NRA Endowment Member
HOG Life Member since 1987

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »

I am not sure what purpose "open carry" would serve other than get your ass shot first.

if you are going to carry, concealed makes the only sense

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »

Texas has conciel carry law I have carried for years and have my permit to do so. You can bet your sweet ass if we ever get the open carry law I will be one of the first to do so. The right to bare arms is one of our constitutional laws and if you don't like it well don't do it but don't f it up for the others. It's not the guy that has a permit the honest man you need to worry about a criminal has a gun no matter the law and you can bet your sweet ass if open carry passed crime rate goes down. Just look at the states that have it already. I can't figure out why people are so freaked out over this the right to protect you and your loved ones should never be wrong. Ok I said my opinion. Next :)

In theory I agree with you 100%. I also believe if everyone had a weapon crime would go down. BUUUUUTTTT ------- in todays world, I for one do not have the time for all the problems that carrying in the open would lead to. I personally would not mind seeing a six-shooter on everyones hip like the old cowboys used to do it. One fine example is right here in my hometown out side of Denver where a guy was LEGALLY carrying a weapon to a movie theatre one week after the movie masacre that happened in Aurora Colorado a few months ago. Some goofy citizen saw his weapon and called police. He was arrested ( illegally ) AND DETAINED OVERNIGHT, and then released after background checks, etc. I did however hear that ALL CHARGES WERE DROPPED. Now, I completely think that was WRONG,(and I hope he sues the department), but that is life in todays world. If he had "concealed" his weapon, he would have had a nice evening at the show, and still had a weapon. I also do not get why people are so freaked out over the right to protect ones self and family, but the fact is --- the majority of our population are.  Why is it that the 2nd ammendment is the only part of the constitution that  we have to ask permission fom the government for and then have to buy a permit also??????????

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »

Ok...a bad guy sees you carry open, without a strap to keep the gun in the holster.  He comes up behind you and takes the gun out and shoots your ass, and whoever else he chooses.  I choose concealed.   Yea, yea...be aware of your surroundings, but there is an exception to every rule, and I choose not to be the exception, because I'm not always, at 61, on my toes.  I'll hide, draw, and shoot if I have the chance.  Otherwise, I'm toast, regardless.
Whether you carry open or concealed a person should know and practice gun retention. You need to know what to do when someone tries to get your weapon from you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »

I am not sure what purpose "open carry" would serve other than get your ass shot first.

if you are going to carry, concealed makes the only sense

100% AGREE    Believe me in a bad sitsuation,You will want the element of surprise  ;)   I dont know about your city
but in DETROIT  packing a little pea shooter on your waist  DON"T MEAN CHIT !

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 02:34:32 PM »

100% AGREE    Believe me in a bad sitsuation,You will want the element of surprise  ;)   I dont know about your city
but in DETROIT  packing a little pea shooter on your waist  DON"T MEAN CHIT !

To quote Bob:

"You ask me why I don't live here.
Baby, how come you don't MOVE?"
Spada84
NoSofa!

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »

To quote Bob:

"You ask me why I don't live here.
Baby, how come you don't MOVE?"

Who is Bob? 

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »

Robert Allen Zimmerman

Also known at Bob Dylan

From "On the Road Again"

Well, I wake up in the morning
There's frogs inside my socks
Your mama, she's a-hidin'
Inside the icebox
Your daddy walks in wearin'
A Napoleon Bonarparte mask
Then you ask why I don't live here
Honey, do you have to ask ?

Well, I got to pet your monkey
I get a face full of claws
I ask who's in the fireplace
And you tell me Santa Claus
The milkman comes in
He's wearing a derby hat
And you ask why I don't live here
Honey, how come you have to ask me that ?

Well, I asked for something to eat
I'm hungry as a hog
So I get brown rice, seaweed
And a dirty hot dog
I've got a hole
Where my stomach disappeared
Then you ask why I don't live here
Honey, I gotta think you're really weird.

Your grandpa's cane
It turns into a sword
Your grandma prays to pictures
That are pasted on a board
Everything inside my pockets
Your uncle steals
And you ask me why I don't live here
Honey, I can't believe that you're for real.

Well, there's fist fight in the kitchen
They're enough to make me cry
The mailman comes in
Even he's gotta take a side
Even the butler
He's got something to prove
Then you ask me why I don't live here
Honey, how come you don't move ?
Spada84
NoSofa!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »

Whether you carry open or concealed a person should know and practice gun retention. You need to know what to do when someone tries to get your weapon from you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Being the size you are, Gary, you probably don't have to be concerned about it at all   :huepfenlol2:  My little gimlet ass does though... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.