Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: My new baby! Yes, I'm a Mom  (Read 21438 times)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: My new baby! Yes, I'm a Mom
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »

Jade learned to perch this weekend!  She made an attempt to try and feed herself while perched on her feed dish. Breeder said she made quite a mess but she seemed very happy and acting like big stuff because she did it herself.  :P

Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »

Zip code?

Judy, I dug the branches out, not a good pic, but this is what they look like, roll of duct tape for size. Manzanita wood is really tough stuff and great for the beaks of parrots.
As you can see, you would need some imagination to make some perches, play stands etc. Google is your friend.

This would not be real heavy to ship, but UPS uses a calculator for what is called a "dimensional weight", meaning the fee could be based more on size then weight.

These were unused but still should be cleaned.
Do you have a power/pressure washer? I used a pressure washer on all of our stands - perches.

I can power wash them, but not right away.

So if you are interested in them I will find a box and you can have them for the cost of shipping.
I don't know what the break even point would be over what you can get 5 similar branches for shipping only. But my guess is the value is around $100-$150

After cleaning (even with no chemicals) I would suggest allowing any new wood in your environment to dry out for several weeks.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »

Judy, I dug the branches out, not a good pic, but this is what they look like, roll of duct tape for size. Manzanita wood is really tough stuff and great for the beaks of parrots.
As you can see, you would need some imagination to make some perches, play stands etc. Google is your friend.

This would not be real heavy to ship, but UPS uses a calculator for what is called a "dimensional weight", meaning the fee could be based more on size then weight.

These were unused but still should be cleaned.
Do you have a power/pressure washer? I used a pressure washer on all of our stands - perches.

I can power wash them, but not right away.

So if you are interested in them I will find a box and you can have them for the cost of shipping.
I don't know what the break even point would be over what you can get 5 similar branches for shipping only. But my guess is the value is around $100-$150

After cleaning (even with no chemicals) I would suggest allowing any new wood in your environment to dry out for several weeks.

Duane, I would love to have them!  Do I need to peel the bark off?  Leave the bark on?  Or do I have to seal the branches?  I can think of a dozen things that I could make them into.  I will pay the shipping!  I will clean them real good.  Were they ever in your cage?  I will reimburse you for shipping.  Let me know the amount and if you want a check or Pay Pal.  I'm excited to get them!  Thank you
Judy

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »

Duane, I would love to have them!  Do I need to peel the bark off?  Leave the bark on?  Or do I have to seal the branches?  I can think of a dozen things that I could make them into.  I will pay the shipping!  I will clean them real good.  Were they ever in your cage?  I will reimburse you for shipping.  Let me know the amount and if you want a check or Pay Pal.  I'm excited to get them!  Thank you
Judy

I'll start looking for a box.

The bark is unlike regular tree bark. It can be left on. Some parrots ignore, others peel it. Some folks have it sandblasted off. It is really tough stuff, you could use the thicker pieces to hammer nails!

No sealing, no chemicals anywhere for your bird. Remember my comment about Teflon pots and pans?

Never in a cage. These were harvested by my wife's sister, she lives on a reservation up in the hills of Southern California.

Here are a couple of links about wood and perches.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Manzanita-Bird-Perches---The-Facts-and-FAQs&id=3283557
http://www.avianweb.com/safewoods.html

In the end, if your bird chews the branches and makes toothpicks out of them - that is good and keeping him occupied.
If he never bites or pecks at them, that is good and they will last forever.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »

Chemicals - a diluted bleach mixture is ok as long as complete air drying is allowed. Plain old household bleach, not the fragrant versions.

MV 2013

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »

Chemicals - a diluted bleach mixture is ok as long as complete air drying is allowed. Plain old household bleach, not the fragrant versions.

Gotcha!  :2vrolijk_21:  I will clean them and let them air dry. Thank you for the link about the wood.  Interesting reading.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »

Check your PM's

MV 2013

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2013, 08:28:42 AM »

Jade's cage arrived yesterday and I began the painstaking process of putting it together.  :'(.  The Chinese have no idea how to write directions in English.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »

Jade's cage arrived yesterday and I began the painstaking process of putting it together.  :'(.  The Chinese have no idea how to write directions in English.

Jade is going to have a blast chewing up the wood frame on that mirror.......

On the other hand, if you mount it lower where she can see herself in it and not get to the frame while she's on her playground, she might think there's another bird in the room with her. Could be a good thing or a bad thing. I can't remember.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:34:35 PM by Ohiobellboy »
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »

Jade is going to have a blast chewing up the wood frame on that mirror.......

On the other hand, if you mount it lower where she can see herself in it and not get to the frame while she's on her playground, she might think there's another bird in the room with her. Could be a good thing or a bad thing. I can't remember.

Lol.   ;D.  The mirror just looks closer to the cage than it actually is Mike.  There is probably 4" from cage to mirror frame.  I will have to watch and see how far she can stretch her neck.   :P

Not sure about seeing her reflection in the mirror.., I'm hoping she finds it entertaining.   :nixweiss:
Not sure about seeing her reflection

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »

Judy, get some clear carpet runner (called something like that) or clear mat that goes under an office chair ya know? Highly recommend putting that under the cage and having it go past the footprint of the cage by about a foot. It will help you with keeping the carpet clean. That inverted catch at the base helps, but they can project messy foods and other messy stuff farther than that guard can stop. Also get some magic erasers for the wall behind the cage. Makes cleanup a breeze :2vrolijk_21:

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »

Judy, get some clear carpet runner (called something like that) or clear mat that goes under an office chair ya know? Highly recommend putting that under the cage and having it go past the footprint of the cage by about a foot. It will help you with keeping the carpet clean. That inverted catch at the base helps, but they can project messy foods and other messy stuff farther than that guard can stop. Also get some magic erasers for the wall behind the cage. Makes cleanup a breeze :2vrolijk_21:

I'm one step ahead of you Pete!  I went to Dick's and got myself this nice exercise mat that is going to work perfect!  But thank you for thinking of me.  :P

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »

Looks like a King Cage.

We used clumping cat litter in the bottom of the cage when the grate wasn't covered with newspaper. was easier to scoop up the mess.
Speaking of mess, by now you should have read or been told that birds "mess" all the time, every 20-25 minutes.

When we would be holding playing with our macaw for a long period of time he would let us know by a certain way he would bob up and down.
His little dance meant he wanted to be over his paper or "approved" area.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:59:59 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »

I'm one step ahead of you Pete!  I went to Dick's and got myself this nice exercise mat that is going to work perfect!  But thank you for thinking of me.  :P

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »

Looks like a King Cage.

We used clumping cat litter in the bottom of the cage when the grate wasn't covered with newspaper. was easier to scoop up the mess.
Speaking of mess, by now you should have read or been told that birds "mess" all the time, every 20-25 minutes.

When we would be holding playing with our macaw for a long period of time he would let us know by a certain way he would bob up and down.
His little dance meant he wanted to be over his paper or "approved" area.

GREAT  :2vrolijk_21:  A bird that's kitty litter trained  :2vrolijk_21:  I'm liking that idea.  :P

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 21 queries.