Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  (Read 15198 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »

It was 2 degrees on the house thermometer when I left for work this morning....that's not "normal" for East Tennessee....still, it was dry and no salt on the road so ride in I did.  Funny, I didn't see any other bikes on the road.....hmmmm

You rode the motorcycle???? WHY?

I mentioned riding last night to the wife as a joke but we agreed that it would not only be uncomfortable but possibly dangerous. Hypothermia with hands and feet that are numb or not working properly is not something I am going to risk. Motorcycling is a hobby and done for pleasure when it ain't I don't.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »

i have only ridden below freezing once. it was for a PGR mission i never would have ridden that day otherwise.

even with heated jacket and gloves, a heated seat and chaps..... it was F*%*in cold
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »

Now THAT'S cold......

Met some folks from our company meeting this past November in Houston that were from Fairbanks, AK.  We were discussing riding and they stated there was one of their crew that rode all year round up there to work.  He had about 20 miles to ride, rode an older Evo, had chains on his tires and bundled up like the kid from "A Christmas Story".  -30 was the coldest they knew he had riden into work....that just might be just a bit too cold for this ol southern boy to attemp (tuff, stupid or otherwise.....)

Mikey, I'm with ya, brother.  I prefer cool/cold to hot/humid anyday.
Haird he will need Apes since he can't put those arms down ...  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »

:nixweiss:
I've ridden in the teens/twenties.........degree temps.  It's a fast lesson in beginning to understand "wind chill" and how to deal with it.

Do you go faster........to get to your destination quicker and thus (warm up).........or do you go slower as to "mimimize" the chilling aspect (although you will experience it longer..........) :-\

From my perspective,  one only rides in those conditions cause they really have no other real alternative.. :drink:   

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 08:09:17 PM »

Us southern boys don't need all that fancy heated stuff. That's because we're tuff!
Ya know the old Redneck/ Southern motto, "  If ya gunna be stupid, ya gotta be tuff! "
Just got back from a ride myself, 23 degrees when I left 28 degrees when I returned. Leather jacket, bluejeans, wool socks, swat boots, 3/4 helmet, and gloves. That's all we need, oh and close the lower fairing vents.
Mike
 :drink:

How much Berry Juice??? That's the question  :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Firewalker

• Firewalker.
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 non-CVO Road King Classic
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »

Gentlemen... it was -28 F this morn in Limestone, ME. I cannot get on enough clothes.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »

Gentlemen... it was -28 F this morn in Limestone, ME. I cannot get on enough clothes.

Ha-ha, I thought you going to tell us you fired up the scoot Firewalker... It's cold enough in Portland - going north from there is just plain brutal. Think spring!  :2vrolijk_21:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 09:27:51 PM »

I was going to brag about my ride in the 70's from Jax, Fl (11 leaving) to Fort Mill, SC (3 arriving) instead I think I'll jus shut up!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »

That's crazy cold..  My son leaves Monday for boot camp at Great Lakes IL.  I am hoping it eases up a bit before he gets there.  6'3" and 145lbs (yes I feed him), so he has no insulation.  Wish that was the problem I had..
Even them new Squids is tuff
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »

Yea, cold in San Diego today, too.  Only reached 67F.....have to wear a jacket just to go for a ride.   :(
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 09:42:12 PM »

Yo Unc... I fixed your post (in red above). :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Thanks Gary but, I have and will ride the bike in colder temps but then I add longjohns and chaps.

From DickW

How much Berry Juice??? That's the question  :nixweiss:
Sorry none, didn't need it. Remember tuff and stupid! Berryjuice when I got back home.
Sometimes you just got to see if you still have it!
Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 11:44:04 PM »

Sorry none, didn't need it. Remember tuff and stupid! Berryjuice when I got back home.
Sometimes you just got to see if you still have it!
Mike

Of course I meant after......Mama didn't raise no fool  :confused5:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

ultrarider123

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »

You rode the motorcycle???? WHY?

I mentioned riding last night to the wife as a joke but we agreed that it would not only be uncomfortable but possibly dangerous. Hypothermia with hands and feet that are numb or not working properly is not something I am going to risk. Motorcycling is a hobby and done for pleasure when it ain't I don't.

Good question....don't really have a good answer except I really enjoy the cool/cold weather riding.  Yes 2 is a bit on the cold side but I've ridden in cold weather most of my adult life and know how to dress for it....it's the only time of year I can ride and NOT sweat....also, no heated gear.
I headed to Florida one February for a conference in Orlando so rode the scooter.  Left East TN and 28 degrees.  When I hit Valdosta, GA, it finally got above freezing.  For me, that's great riding weather.

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 08:41:24 AM »

Pretty nipply here in Indiana, yesterday it was -12 when we got up, hard keeping the chickens water thawed in that weather, we had to add another heater to the water bucket, hoping this morning it isn't froze, it's up to 7 degrees today...The wind chill last night was -30's  enough already....I've only ridden snowmobiles in this weather, and with the proper gear you really don't get cold, I can remember riding all day up in the Adirondack mountains of NY and sweating, snowmobile jackets have little vents you can unzip to get some cool air inside, boy I miss those days...Keep warm everyone.... :nervous: :nervous:
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »

Only -3 this morning...  That's an improvement over yesterday's -12...

Today's 20 mph gusty winds are a downer though...  Drifting snow and black ice all everywhere...   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.