Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2015 Carbon dust/charcoal slate paint issue.  (Read 8736 times)

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
Re: 2015 Carbon dust/charcoal slate paint issue.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 12:16:06 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  I will give that a try if all else fails.  I don't have any experience buffing and polishing and I hate the thoughts of my first attempt being on my new CVO limited.

Talked to the good folks at HD and it is not a service bulletin that came out but a tech tip.  I pulled it up with my dealer and it actually looks like a fairly aggressive procedure to remove the imperfections.  Not sure how I feel about letting them try it giving the miserable outcome of the buffing that they have tried previously.

I know exactly how you feel. I had no experience with a DA buffer either. I had to learn though, and spent a lot of time researching to get to the bottom of it. If indeed you have soft clear like I do, you are going to have to deal with it. At least if spider scratches bothers you. If I did not mention it in this thread in my email exchange with Gunslinger the lead painter did give me a little hope, namely that the clear coat will continue to harden "some" (How much is some?) for up to a year.

I can tell you this. The procedure I described is about as safe as you are going to get. If you use a DA polisher with a foam polishing pad along with the Ultimate Polish it has hardly any abrasive at all. As I said it is VERY mild. You actually have to work the affected areas a significant amount of time before the scratches go completely away. This makes it safer for a first time user. I am sure if I were to use a more abrasive polish I could get it done much faster, BUT I want to leave as much clear behind as possible. With this combination it is almost impossible to screw up anything. Try it on a car in an inconspicuous location first and you will immediately see what I am trying to describe. Hope this helps.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
Re: 2015 Carbon dust/charcoal slate paint issue.
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »

If you find yourself with time on your hands, try to find some of the paint threads from 2006.  What they are trying to pass off this time is the same crap they passed off back then, and I'll bet the results will be the same.  I would only allow them to do this after they gave me something in writing stating they will replace the part if you're not satisfied with the result.  Do Not do any sanding and polishing yourself, unless you want them to leave you holding the bag, so to speak.  Btw, if the clear is soft, as mentioned by HighOnHD, all the sanding and polishing in the world isn't going to fix that.  Unfortunately, Harley has their procedures and one of them is to put people off as long as possible until some just give up. 

Jerry

Nothing that I can really disagree with what you are saying Jerry. I have never been "the squeaky wheel that gets the grease." I suppose that makes me a perfect Moco customer! In any case, I would really like to see someone try the "hard-ass" route and see if they get all of their painted parts replaced ( BTW even the painted to match frame pieces have the same problem) for these scratches (soft clear) when Moco can just put out this tech tip and say "buff it".

I figured that was just fantasy and tried to solve the problem as best as I can. If I can't live with it in a year after it supposedly reaches it's maximum hardness, I will likely pay to have it sprayed with the harder clear PPG that Gunslinger provided the number for. Ridiculous??? No doubt. Maybe if someone paves the way and starts getting all these parts replaced it will save me a lot of trouble!!!! IF this happens, hopefully the new parts will be sprayed with harder clear!!!!!! Otherwise what has been accomplished?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.