Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HD FXR 3 Wont Start  (Read 4769 times)

Theway

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

HD FXR 3 Wont Start
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »

Hey guys trying to do a process of elimination on this. Washed the bike yesterday and now it wont start. HD tested my battery and it checked out ok. What next? When I push the start button my Fireball Hi-4E just clicks when I try to start. Any advice?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: HD FXR 3 Wont Start
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »

So when you say "won't start" you're meaning it won't turn over?  Just clicks? 

If it does just click and you know for sure the battery is dead than check the cables (both ends of each cable).  Check them either for being loose or for deteriorating in the crimp.  If the cables are good check the start solenoid.

There are solenoid rebuild kits.  It's something that can be done with the starter on the bike.  Often you don't even need the kit though.  Take the cover off the solenoid and polish all the necessary bits. 

Theway

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:18:24 PM »

Bike just clicks. I will try these things. I did have the HD dealer check my battery and they said it was good. I really appreciate.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:20:19 PM by Theway »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 07:25:56 PM »

Bike just clicks. I will try these things. I did have the HD dealer check my battery and they said it was good. I really appreciate.

20 years in means things like solenoids are expected to give an issue.  Coincidentally just last fall I was out on my old FXR2.  Stopped at a store and came out to have it just click click click.  Was as certain as I could be the battery was good and that the cables were good.  Had looked it all over very recently.
 Was still several miles from home with a bad case of the click-click-clicks.

Back in the store and bought the cheapest tools I could to get a 5/16 nut driver and cheap package of sand paper.  Opened up the end of the solenoid there in the parking lot and ten minutes later was on my way.  Will keep my finger crossed your solution is as easy.

Theway

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »

This is the box/fuse that clicks when I try to turn over. Should I replace ? Is this a fuse?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:15:29 PM »

That's an electrical relay.  Hearing it click there isn't (necessarily) wrong. 

Does the starter itself click?  If it does your problem is downstream from the starter relay.  If the starter does nothing at all you need to check more.

Get a simple test light.  Find the green wire that plugs on to the starter solenoid.  See if your test light comes on when probing that wire's plug when you hit the start button.  If it does and the starter makes no sound at all you've got at least starter solenoid problems and potentially the whole starter.  It's rare for a starter to die all at once though.

If the green wire never gets hot that solenoid is your next thing back upstream to check.  You'll find the same green wire there.  See if it gets hot coming out of the solenoid when you hit the starter button.  If it did not down at the starter it shouldn't up at the relay.  If it does you've got a simple broken wire between the solenoid and the relay.

If the green wire doesn't get hot when you push the button you're checking more.  The other wires on the relay will be a wire that's hot anytime the ignition switch is on.  Just one like that.  See if you find one.  Another that is NOT green that is only hot when you push the starter switch.  That's the one that comes from the handlebar switch and triggers the relay.  If you don't have one that behaves that way your problem is likely up at the handlebar switch. 

The other wire in the relay will be its ground wire.  So you should have one that never gets hot.  Ain't troubleshooting fun?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 09:22:07 PM »

The diagram that is circled is on your relay and actually shows how it works -- which legs do which.  So if you want to get a little deeper in the weeds you can use that.  You can know of its working or not though by doing as we discussed previously though.

One wire hot all the time the switch is on. 

One wire that is not green that is hot when you hit the starter button (if you unplug the connector from the relay it will only be this way).

The green wire hot when you hit the starter button but the connector must be plugged in to the relay.

And the ground wire. 

Look for those behaviors and you'll have a good idea of what's going on.

Theway

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »

The starter does not engage just the simple click from the relay. I will follow your lead and do some testing.  I did wash bike then it didnt start, do you think something got wet that caused it?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »

The starter does not engage just the simple click from the relay. I will follow your lead and do some testing.  I did wash bike then it didnt start, do you think something got wet that caused it?

Could have?  Sure.  Still need to troubleshoot to find out what though.  Always do it easiest/cheapest first for troubleshooting though.  It's too easy to get deep in the weeds; especially when it's something we may not be absolutely familiar with. 

Did you have the side covers off for the bike wash?  If so that makes it easier to consider a relay as problem.  Soak the bike really heavy up around the handlebars?  If so maybe think about the switch more.  Though the "click" downstream suggests against the switch.  Fortunately this is a pretty easy and obvious system to troubleshoot though.  So long as it's not the starter itself all the parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to swap too.  So grab a test light and just make sure you don't stick your finger :drink: !!

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 10:02:33 AM »

Over the years I’ve replaced my relay several times. As stated they simply wear out. 
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2000 FLTRSEI Triple Red (Gone but not forgotten)
2018 BMW R1200RT

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »

The relay is cheap enough and easy enough to get to I always have a spare.  A replacement can be scored at an auto parts store.  If not completely sure about what to get take the old one in with you so the counter person can look at the diagram on the relay itself to match it up.  In the section of the store they will probably only have two options anyway; so it's easy to find the right thing.

Theway

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 02:08:53 PM »

Thanks for your help it was the starter relay bike fired right up.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 10:14:31 PM »

Thanks for your help it was the starter relay bike fired right up.

Outstanding.  Gotta love it when the fixes are cheap and easy.  Congrats on having it back running.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 10:18:16 PM »

Check out the link below.  It's something that makes for a cheap and easy to install emergency backup to anything failing in the start circuit.  Put this cover on your solenoid and if you're ever out and switch, relay, whatever doesn't work again you can reach down and just push the button if need be.

https://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Choice-Solenoid-Starter-Button/dp/B001KO2EB8/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/144-1566664-1976740?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001KO2EB8&pd_rd_r=45535ae8-8509-495e-a448-2ee6c660d9cd&pd_rd_w=tKDXM&pd_rd_wg=a1ybj&pf_rd_p=4e3f7fc3-00c8-46a6-a4db-8457e6319578&pf_rd_r=RV886GEZ2W1YJAZ1XSHN&psc=1&refRID=RV886GEZ2W1YJAZ1XSHN

Theway

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 12:26:26 PM »

That sounds like a great idea.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.