Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SENA, Bluetooth, and the Harley Tax  (Read 729 times)

OURich

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

SENA, Bluetooth, and the Harley Tax
« on: February 06, 2020, 12:47:03 PM »

First time posting, I am looking for information as I am confused by all I am being told and read.

I have a 2017 CVO Limited, I connect to the bike via my comm cable (helmet to bike). My wife has a SENA 20 with the Freewire that plugs into the slot on the back of the bike. I now want to go "wireless" and in my review I have been told:
1. I need a WHIM installed on my bike to go with whatever Bluetooth device I buy to avoid any additional "cables/wires"?       Yes/No?
2. I can go with a SENA to match my wife, it will work but sound will only be in MONO vice Stereo, is this correct?
3 if YES Is there a S/W or F/W update to address my wife's older device?
4. If YES do I need the WHIM or the Freewire device for myself.  Meaning I would have to plug the Freewire into the plugin on the gas tank which I don't want.  Or can we sync 2 devices to the 1 Freewire?
5. If I go with the SENA 30K with the WHIM will the sound still be mono?
6. Is there a S/W or F/W update to address my wife's older device?
7. What options do I have to make this work?

Reading i need a SENA with HD stamped on it to have stereo sound?

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
Re: SENA, Bluetooth, and the Harley Tax
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »

My best answers:

1) Yes, you need a WHIM installed to have bluetooth from the BIKE to the headset.  You can bluetooth your phone for music, etc. through the headset but the bike will not transmit the signal without the WHIM
2) The HD Sena units are fully compatible with the GTS unit with the WHIM installed.  You will have stereo (supposedly) with ONLY the HD units, the the "aftermarket" Sena branded product.
3) The devices should be compatible.  Just to be sure, do a firmware update on the headset unit.
4) With the WHIM you will be able to connect to the bike through the GTS head unit.  You shouldnt need an additional Freewire (for either of you)
5) The 30k will be full stereo and have full functionality (I have the 30k unit myself)
6) See above... make sure all firmware is updated.  Her device will be compatible with the 30k with no issues

Hope that helps!  Sorry if I'm incorrect on anything, but I dont think I am!  Ha!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 07:06:27 PM »

If you get another freewire you will have stereo music.  I know someone who has one new in box for $160.

https://rftw.us/forums/topic/sena-freewire-harley/#post-16902

tell him I sent ya.

Bottom line is you do not have to have the whim if you go all sena,
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:08:28 PM by r0de_runr »
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 07:18:30 PM »

Re reading this several times here are my thoughts.

Sena (non harley) helmet units like the 20 or 30.  2 each.  Freewire 2 each. Sounds like you already have two helmet units and one freewire.

Passenger freewire unit plugs into cig lighter in trunk and to headset cable unit for pass.  Once set up, will come on with ignition and connect.

Rider freewire unit cables can be connected to power and signal inside faring and freewire unit tucked out of the way in cubby or low on handlebar.  This requires purchase of a cable to connect the signal for about $58 or 60.  (Its the same cable you would buy to put a headset on a Street Glide). Also will need to connect in a cig lighter socket inside the fairing cap  for $10.  So the rider freewire cables are not visible.  OR------you can plug rider freewire into cig lighter on fairing, and into headset connector on tank.  Once set up, the freewire turns on and off with the bike and connects to the helmet.

Mine works flawlessly with inside the fairing cables and handlebar mounted freewire.  The helmet Sena connecst to the Freewire.  My phone connects to the bike.  Do not pair your phone to the bike.

Everything works, CB, music, Navigation and so on.  I am Android so I don;t worry about Apple car play which is another whole can of fish bait.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »

Welcome from PA!

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »

The above references to Boom! Box GTS system applies to your Boom! Box 6.5 GT system as well. However, I believe further clarification is needed.

1. I need a WHIM installed on my bike to go with whatever Bluetooth device I buy to avoid any additional "cables/wires"?       Yes/No?
A. You need to choose between the H-D WHIM setup or the SENA Freewire setup. I do not recommend a blended approach. Not saying it won’t work, but I think the ongoing support of it would be problematic.

2. I can go with a SENA to match my wife, it will work but sound will only be in MONO vice Stereo, is this correct?
A. If you go WHIM, you will need to use H-D branded headsets to attain stereo quality. If you go Freewire, SENA branded headsets will produce stereo.

3 if YES Is there a S/W or F/W update to address my wife's older device?
A. No S/W or F/W upgrade is going to produce stereo quality in a SENA headset connected to the WHIM.

4. If YES do I need the WHIM or the Freewire device for myself.  Meaning I would have to plug the Freewire into the plugin on the gas tank which I don't want.  Or can we sync 2 devices to the 1 Freewire?
A. The Freewire will only connect to a single headset, so you will need two Freewire units.

5. If I go with the SENA 30K with the WHIM will the sound still be mono?
A. Yes, mono only if connected to the WHIM.

6. Is there a S/W or F/W update to address my wife's older device?
A. See #3 above.

7. What options do I have to make this work?
A. If you want a clean look and simplicity of use, the all H-D approach is the way to go. it can be installed and maintained by the dealership network, although many dealerships have struggled to master anything Boom! Box related. It’s costly, but the all-in cost is comparable to a SENA approach when starting from scratch, especially if you catch the headsets on sale (happens often online). You can sell your wife’s current headset and Freewire online for roughly 50% of the Suggested Retail Price if it’s not too old. The all-SENA approach will deliver the sound and functionality you want, but will require more familiarity on your part because something inevitably gets unplugged along the way.

I’ve struggled with the cost of converting to wireless and ultimately decided a wired approach isn’t so bad after all. Headsets can be bought/replaced cheap and it works well in the rain. Neither SENA or H-D headsets are rated for use in rain, though I’ve not heard of any problems. Personally, I think H-D is foolish to have such a proprietary approach to wireless connectivity, so I have chosen to spend my $$ on other things.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:44:19 AM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.