Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing Antennas  (Read 1890 times)

btharris24

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

Removing Antennas
« on: February 03, 2020, 03:09:21 PM »

I don't use either the CB or Radio, just use bluetooth for music, anybody see a problem removing the (2) antennas for a cleaner look? Once unscrewed your left with roughly a 3/4" long threaded stud. Ideas?
Grumpy
2020 CVO Ultra Limited

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Removing Antennas
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »

I would put vacuum caps on them to prevent rust.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »

HD makes plugs for those

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 08:36:19 AM »

The studs for the antennas are removable, held in place by a set screw (see fuzzy diagram attached).  Then install plugs in the holes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:40:50 AM »

Sorry to highjack this thread but I have a related question. I’d like to swap the antenna functions (ie move the am/fm to the left and the cb to the right). I don’t use the cb and have that antenna removed. It’d be nice to have only one on the left as it would improve access to the tour pack. I’ve looked at it briefly but don’t see how it would be possible.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:42:30 AM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »

Sorry to highjack this thread but I have a related question. I’d like to swap the antenna functions (ie move the am/fm to the left and the cb to the right). I don’t use the cb and have that antenna removed. It’d be nice to have only one on the left as it would improve access to the tour pack. I’ve looked at it briefly but don’t see how it would be possible.

Just put on a different connector up front by the radio and plug the current CB antenna into the FM radio.  Put FM antenna on left side and bingo.  I think there is a duplexer available so you can use CB and FM on the same CB antenna on either side.

I use a in fairing antenna and it works well enough.  XM works the best but costs $75  a year.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 02:11:57 PM »

Bungy, when you say right or left, is that looking from behind the bike or from in front of the bike?  The reason I ask is that I'm fairly certain the CB antenna is on the right side, looking from behind the bike.  No need to change anything if you want your AM-FM antenna on the left, looking from behind the bike.  If you don't want the CB antenna installed, just remove it.   :nixweiss:

Anyway, if I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time), you can't just change the cable connections at the radio.  The CB antenna cable has a load coil assembly, the AM-FM does not.  You would need to change the cables from side to side at the T-Pack, I'm not sure if there is enough cable to do so but short extension cables should be available at a good audio shop.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:19:19 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
    • AB

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 11:51:39 PM »

Bungy, when you say right or left, is that looking from behind the bike or from in front of the bike?  The reason I ask is that I'm fairly certain the CB antenna is on the right side, looking from behind the bike.  No need to change anything if you want your AM-FM antenna on the left, looking from behind the bike.  If you don't want the CB antenna installed, just remove it.   :nixweiss:

Anyway, if I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time), you can't just change the cable connections at the radio.  The CB antenna cable has a load coil assembly, the AM-FM does not.  You would need to change the cables from side to side at the T-Pack, I'm not sure if there is enough cable to do so but short extension cables should be available at a good audio shop.

Jerry

The cb  is on the left side when viewed from the rear. Changing at the radio would not work for the reasons you mentioned. Also swapping cables from right to left wouldn’t work either, the connections inside the tour pac are totally different in size and type. The only way I can see it working is to swap the entire antenna assemblies but that is way above my pay grade!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 07:55:35 AM »

The cb  is on the left side when viewed from the rear. Changing at the radio would not work for the reasons you mentioned. Also swapping cables from right to left wouldn’t work either, the connections inside the tour pac are totally different in size and type. The only way I can see it working is to swap the entire antenna assemblies but that is way above my pay grade!

I think your antenna masts are screwed onto the wrong sides, based on everything I've seen so far including the drawing I attached to my previous post.  Swap the two antenna masts and see if your AM-FM works properly.  Since you don't use the CB, you could eliminate that antenna mast.  You would want to disable the actual CB module however, you don't want to activate the CB without a properly loaded antenna attached.

Jerry

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 08:57:16 AM »

Jerry

You are not incorrect in that the CB side has a loading coil, but at FM Frequencies it is inconsequential.  It will not make any difference in reception to hook the CB cable to the FM radio and even use the CB antenna.   This is why there are many (thousands?) of riders riding around with their CB and FM antennae on the wrong side.

A vertical antenna cut for 96mHz in the Broadcast FM range would be 29.25 inches long.  And wired directly to the back of the radio.  Everything else is a compromise.

This device works but needs cable adapter. 

73's de Greg W0GAN
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
    • AB

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 09:48:33 AM »

I think your antenna masts are screwed onto the wrong sides, based on everything I've seen so far including the drawing I attached to my previous post.  Swap the two antenna masts and see if your AM-FM works properly.  Since you don't use the CB, you could eliminate that antenna mast.  You would want to disable the actual CB module however, you don't want to activate the CB without a properly loaded antenna attached.

Jerry

Well my bike must have been built on a Friday then, it is totally reversed from your picture.

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 25 queries.