Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery Tender (Quick disconnect)-----------Placement on new models  (Read 1578 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member

:(

My '09 SE Ultra came with a battery tender and the quick disconnect line was installed and routed down the right hand side and was easily accessible just left of the oil filler hole as it was zipped tied there and tucked in when not in use.  I found it handy and logically placed to use.

Not so on my new S. Glide Special and other new models as I can see in the new owners manual that they describe where they have put it. :nixweiss:

For reasons that make no sense to me,  they have installed and routed the quick disconnect now to be behind the left hand removable panel which is not that easy to remove without first taking off the left saddle bag.  Mine was delivered with the end of the quick disconnect "hanging out" from behind the left panel and capable of dropping down and making contact with a hot left exhaust pipe.

I guess at some point,  I can remove the seat and other stuff necessary to re-route the wiring,  but why they chose the left side is crazy to me.  I stuck some Velcro on the back side of the panel and other piece on the end of the Q.D. so that it would stay behind the panel when not in use but still be relatively easy to access.  Anyone else annoyed with this setup :confused5:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Battery Tender (Quick disconnect)-----------Placement on new models
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »

There is no single "best" location for the connector, so no matter where the dealer hangs it some folks will be happy and some will not.  It's best for each person to relocate and secure it to suit their particular circumstances.  For instance, I park my bike on the right side of the garage and I keep the tender on the right wall.  To make the connection easy I've located my battery connector on the right side of the bike, mounted with 3M moulding tape to the steel panel that separates the battery compartment from the engine/trans area.  It isn't hanging down where it can get caught in anything or burned up by hot parts, and it is very easy to access while still being unobtrusive.  The tender stays on the wall and I park the bike such that the lead from the tender reaches the bike, so there is no need to have the bike harness moveable.

Anyway, everyone is likely to have a different method and different priorities.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 02:16:35 PM »

There is no single "best" location for the connector, so no matter where the dealer hangs it some folks will be happy and some will not.  It's best for each person to relocate and secure it to suit their particular circumstances.  For instance, I park my bike on the right side of the garage and I keep the tender on the right wall.  To make the connection easy I've located my battery connector on the right side of the bike, mounted with 3M moulding tape to the steel panel that separates the battery compartment from the engine/trans area.  It isn't hanging down where it can get caught in anything or burned up by hot parts, and it is very easy to access while still being unobtrusive.  The tender stays on the wall and I park the bike such that the lead from the tender reaches the bike, so there is no need to have the bike harness moveable.

Anyway, everyone is likely to have a different method and different priorities.

Jerry

Agree, no one best location for everyone.  On my Wide Glide it was concealed very well, but I had to move the one on my CVO Breakout.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »

My '09 CUSE was just where yours was. My new Serk it was behind the left side cover almost behind the Bag. No matter, it still goes straight to the battery, 5mins and little effort it is now where I think it should be.......just to the left of the oil filler, behind nary a thing!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.