Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running in - please pass  (Read 2280 times)

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
Running in - please pass
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »

When I first got the FLSTSE2 I told my mates to hold back a bit as I've got to run it in
In the manual it says for the first 500 miles don't go over 3500 rpm for the full 1000 don't go over 4000 rpm,
Do they realise that's over 80mph and then 90mph my mates couldn't keep up, can't wait for it to be fully run in!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Running in - please pass
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:45:27 PM »

May want to read this:  Break In Secrets.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:11:14 PM »

Hi, yes I've read that before but I've still ran all my cars and bikes to the manufacturers book, but this time it really does seem to be a liitle hard on the engine because you can easily be doing over 80mph during the first 500, even when it's run in I can't see me doing much more than 4000 rpm.

Out of interest what type of run in have others done on this forum?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »

Hi, yes I've read that before but I've still ran all my cars and bikes to the manufacturers book, but this time it really does seem to be a liitle hard on the engine because you can easily be doing over 80mph during the first 500, even when it's run in I can't see me doing much more than 4000 rpm.

Out of interest what type of run in have others done on this forum?

Perhaps not in 6th gear (very often), but running it up to 5800 going through the lower gears is not all that unusual for some riders.  My "normal" shift point is 3500-4000, and I never let the RPM get below 2K when moving, even on flat ground...it lugs the engine, which is horrible for it.

I am personally a firm beleiver in running the RPM up to at least 3500, then letting the engine brake the bike back down to 2K, usually 3rd gear runs for the first 50 miles or so.  I think it helps seat the rings better, but I could be full of chit too... ::)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »

Perhaps not in 6th gear (very often), but running it up to 5800 going through the lower gears is not all that unusual for some riders.  My "normal" shift point is 3500-4000, and I never let the RPM get below 2K when moving, even on flat ground...it lugs the engine, which is horrible for it.

I am personally a firm beleiver in running the RPM up to at least 3500, then letting the engine brake the bike back down to 2K, usually 3rd gear runs for the first 50 miles or so.  I think it helps seat the rings better, but I could be full of chit too... ::)

:vrolijk27: :vrolijk27: :vrolijk27:   Say it ain't so, Terry!   :P
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

chywy

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »

I had my bike dyno tuned with 800 miles and they rap it to and past 6000 rpms during the tune after adding the SEPT kit.  But I guess I'm going to have a find a lonely stretch of highway and check out shift points at 4000 rpms - I think my max torque is at 3250 through all the gears - should be an interesting ride through 3rd gear   :)

CHYWY

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »

May want to read this:  Break In Secrets.
All along everyone told me I was running the crap out of my new vehicles when all I was doing was the proper break-in procedure officer.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

chywy

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »

Yeah, the bike likes 4000 rpm as a shift points - definitely gets you from point A to point B in a hurry.  Haven't visited 6000 yet - but I'd probably have to be on a race track or climbing a dirt hill in Sturgis  :)
Ride Safe and Enjoy

CHYWY

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »

There are a lot of differing opinions on this but if you carefully read the break in article linked in the post he stresses 2 points:

1. Always make sure the engine is properly warmed up before any high RPM usage.

2. DO NOT let a new engine sit at one RPM for a period of time.  Always very the RPM.

My Buick street/strip car had over 300 1/4 mile runs at 7,000 RPM shift points.  This was all on the same long block.  Cast crank and stock con rods (balanced).  The engine was always properly warmed up because it was driven to the track.  Never beat on a cold engine!!

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 25 queries.