Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: New to me FXR2 (yes, it's red)  (Read 9322 times)

ultrarider123

Re: New to me FXR2 (yes, it's red)
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »

Never shoulda sold my FXR3.  Super fun bike, though the old Evo really needed another 50 hp.  Can’t imagine what that motor in a bagger would’ve been like back in the day.  Enjoy!

reliable but.....

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »

Nice! I worked at the Dealership when those first came out. God I Wanted that Red one! Luckily though, It didn't work out for me (one of the Tech's bought it) And I ended up buying the 2000 Screamin Eagle Roadglide. And that's what got me started down the Orange/Black road I've been on ever since.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 02:18:19 PM »

Damn, until really looking at that pic didn't realize how much it needed chrome trees  ???

Didn't the FXR3 get chrome triple tree?

When I changed out my triple trees on my FXRS I went with the wide glide version. Although your legs are 39mm instead of 41mm they make some pretty cool conversions that IMO change the whole look of the bike for the better.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »

Never shoulda sold my FXR3.  Super fun bike, though the old Evo really needed another 50 hp.  Can’t imagine what that motor in a bagger would’ve been like back in the day.  Enjoy!

Biggest Evo bike I ever had was a Road King.  Loaded it would cruise down the highway.  Up the highway, however, was another story.  Really needed a tailwind or downhill :huepfenlol2: .

I worked on that bike some.  A little engine work and some gearing changes and it was actually ok on the highway when loaded up.  But never something to get out of its own way in a huge hurry.

Really looking forward to getting this little bike dialed up and getting the carb replaced tomorrow or this weekend.  Limped it home than pushed it around the driveway followed by immediately hopping on the Road Glide.  Holy crap what a difference.

JimmyDee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »

Best one word description I can come up with - BEAUTIFUL!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »

Best one word description I can come up with - BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you sir.  I'm pleased with the purchase myself.  Hoping to have a lot of fun with it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 12:12:20 AM »

This should probably go up in the "Ride Report" section.  Screw it, someone might actually notice it up there!

Got the old bike running today.  New carb arrived this morning.  Had to score a petcock from an indie shop about an hour away in the middle of the process as the fuel valve was crapped out too.  So now the bike is stylin' with the brand new Mikuni carb and shiny chrome Pingel fuel valve.  No more vacuum operated petcock.  Fortunately the old VOES switch is still good and is working right at the vacuum levels it's supposed to.

After getting the bike buttoned up and a few other chores got to head out for a shake down cruise about 6:00.  Got home about ten and logged about 200 miles.  Everything worked as it should and the bike ran and handled great.  Very well indeed and I'm very pleased with how it's doing.

Decided while riding this evening not even going to experiment with mids and know the forward controls are just slightly too long for me to ride comfortably all the time.  My feet kept trying to find floorboards so that's what will go on it.  Also realized that after a few hours at speed on even two lane state roads I want a windshield for it.  That's be about it though.  Aside from just being filthy right now I'm liking about everything else about it.  Everything from the stock wheels to the patina of the old exhaust all please me much more than I expected they would.  The bike will stay pretty much as it is.  Was a fun evening.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 10:12:48 AM »

Nice looking bike......I almost bought a black one a few years back but passed and I am sorry I did....

Have fun with it.  :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »

Nice looking bike......I almost bought a black one a few years back but passed and I am sorry I did....

Have fun with it.  :bananarock:

Thanks MJ.  It's going to be a fun toy.  I had a couple of FXR bikes a very long time ago.  Late 1980s-ish.  Having this one suddenly made me younger when I hopped on it last night  8) .

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »

Thanks MJ.  It's going to be a fun toy.  I had a couple of FXR bikes a very long time ago.  Late 1980s-ish.  Having this one suddenly made me younger when I hopped on it last night  8) .

If it makes you younger I will begin to search for another one right now :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »

While riding the now not cranky old but new to me FXR last night I almost never hit fifth gear.  That thing is geared tall.  The old FXRs I had back during the Grant administration were 3:37.  Remembered that for reasons I do not know.  So (mistakenly) assumed that Mother Harley continued that gearing.  Doing a little math in my head while on the bike last night was getting something taller than 3:1.  Figured that for some reason someone changed something in the bike's history.

Nope. 

Homework today in parts catalog show parts that would make it stock at about 2:93.  No wonder never needed fifth gear.  For reason I shall not try to understand Harley made a change for (at least) the CVO FXR bikes.  While doing other chores today contemplated (and thought about) options.  Being a big fan easy primarily options that would occur inside the primary and without having to screw with belt or rear pulley.  Don't really care about going all the way to the old FXR's 3:37 ratio.  But something in between might be just the ticket.  30 tooth trans pulley would have it approx 3:15.  That should increase acceleration appreciably and still be an easy swap.

One nice thing about mechanical speedo driven off the front wheel; nothing behind the front wheel matters  8) .

Just need to add a pulley to the shopping list.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 11:12:04 PM »

I get a sense that a waterfall of customizations is about to break loose, after the dam of "no I like it mostly stock" has been breached.   :)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 12:15:59 AM »

I get a sense that a waterfall of customizations is about to break loose, after the dam of "no I like it mostly stock" has been breached.   :)

Not really.  Especially not relative to my norms.  The old exhaust I like.  The wheels I'm quite content with (especially after finding out for sure front was tubeless).  Did the LED headlight so it's better at night.  Will be doing the floorboards and adding a windshield.  It's already running well.  That's about it.  Changing one lonely gear hidden inside the primary housing doesn't count (does it?).

The floorboards are going to save my feet and ankles.  Twice last night and once again this morning my stupid feet tried to rest on floorboards while taking off from a stop.  Then the stupid feet (right twice and left once) missed the boards that weren't there, bounced off the ground and rebounded off the frame.  Inside right ankle is all pissed off today as a result.  Stupid feet.

Busto.

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 12:24:05 AM »

Bought one new. Miss it. Won’t say what I did
Later in its life.........
But earlier  after head work, CM 580 cam. 29 on trans and 24
On motor. It would go to rev limiter in 5th at 6100.
What a bike. So much fun!!!  95hp on dyno.
Would whoop 115hp twin cams. 
Light weight and great gearing!!

Anyway.  Gearing issue. 29 will work with stock belt.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 12:30:36 AM »

Not really.  Especially not relative to my norms.  The old exhaust I like.  The wheels I'm quite content with (especially after finding out for sure front was tubeless).  Did the LED headlight so it's better at night.  Will be doing the floorboards and adding a windshield.  It's already running well.  That's about it.  Changing one lonely gear hidden inside the primary housing doesn't count (does it?).

The floorboards are going to save my feet and ankles.  Twice last night and once again this morning my stupid feet tried to rest on floorboards while taking off from a stop.  Then the stupid feet (right twice and left once) missed the boards that weren't there, bounced off the ground and rebounded off the frame.  Inside right ankle is all pissed off today as a result.  Stupid feet.

Not a judgement, only an observation.  Other than visible goodies, your bike is a quick little beast that with just a few engine mods will eat the lunches of a lot of bigger displacement bikes.  All in sleeper mode.  One thing will bet the farm on - whatever you choose it will be a better bike than it was.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.