Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Bike Just Died While Riding. Need some Help  (Read 8888 times)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Re: Bike Just Died While Riding. Need some Help
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 07:51:58 PM »

Let us know what you find as a solution  :nixweiss:

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 08:48:49 PM »

Are these the ones that had issue with rubbing hole in fuel supply hose in tank. It would rub a hole in it and show 1/2 tank on gauge but not getting fuel to motor. It is easy fix. Just pull top cover on tank and look at hose.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 09:58:30 PM »

Are these the ones that had issue with rubbing hole in fuel supply hose in tank. It would rub a hole in it and show 1/2 tank on gauge but not getting fuel to motor. It is easy fix. Just pull top cover on tank and look at hose.

That was an issue with fuel injected bikes.  Line between the pump and tank inside the tank.  No such line exists on a carb'd bike.

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 10:20:27 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. I have a couple friends that got tripped up with that.

JayKael87

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 03:56:53 AM »

Hey guys thank so much for all the great suggestions and feedback. Sorry I've been so scarce, I'm super busy with work and being a first time parent so I haven't had much time to spend troubleshooting my baby, but I have made some progress I've ruled out any electrical issues. I'm pretty positive it has to do with the fuel delivery. I have great spark as well as compression as well.
I'm waiting for my new fuel filter to come in and and going to be cleaning my tank, rebuilding the carb and knocking out all necessary maintenance, prevantative and otherwise. At this point I'm pretty sure that the issue lies in the fuel delivery system. I'll be out in my workshop tomorrow getting back at it and am confident that I'll have some good news to share. Thanks to each and every one of you, brothers.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »

I would check the vacuum line from the carb over to the petcock first. If i recall correctly the petcock relies on vacuum from the carb to operate properly and if that line is worn then the bike won't get fuel.....
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

J.D.

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »

I would check the vacuum line from the carb over to the petcock first. If i recall correctly the petcock relies on vacuum from the carb to operate properly and if that line is worn then the bike won't get fuel.....

+1

Should be able to see if you have gas squirting through the accelerator pump circuit.

What was described in the OP can also be a symptom of an adjustable pushrod collapsing and not allowing a valve to open.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 05:25:10 PM »

From an earlier post:  "No sputtering, no flickering lights, no throttle delay, no backfiring, nothing. Just *click* followed by silence and me pushing my 850 lb, leaky lover out of traffic 😂😂😂."

That is not how a carbureted bike quits running if it's a fuel problem.  Checking out the fuel system is still a good idea on a bike that age, but if it just instantly quit with no signs of fuel starvation (sputtering, etc.), there is something else that shut things down.  Even if the petcock shut the fuel off, the fuel in the float bowl would still be there and would continue to be used until the engine started missing and then eventually quit running.  I've never encountered an instant engine shutdown on a carbureted vehicle that was caused by fuel delivery. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »

I have a 96 FXDWG that over years of changing oils the filter had wore out the stater plug and finally shut down while on the way home from Sturgis. A couple of sticks and zip ties to hold it in place got me home. New stator and plug and a wire over the top of the plug no more issues. I then realized why I started seeing older bikes with the same wire installed.

JayKael87

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 10:50:54 PM »

Ok so over the weekend I drained the tanks, pulled the petcock and cleaned the filter, removed and cleaned both Left and right tank, I did notice that there is another crossover line underneath the speedo/ignition switch, that was disconnected. I checked all the fuel and vacuum lines for wear and clogs, they're all good. I reassembled everything, reconnected that upper crossover line. I removed the carb, took it apart and cleaned it out, Jets too. Put it back together and nada.

Also the day it died in me, when I was in the Highway, right before it died, I was struggling to get past 65-70 mph, which never happened before then. I thought I mentioned that in the original post, but I didnt. 

Anyways, I've looked into everything mentioned by you guys and nothing so far. I still need to do an ignition coil test. I have the stock ignition coil and well as an aftermarket coil (which was in the bike when it died) and I changed them out and nothing. I did another spark test and I'm not getting spark. I have an appointment to take it into the shop next week but am trying my damnedest to get it figured out before then. Man I am getting my ass kicked. 😂😂😂

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 01:33:48 AM »

All the fuel related maintenance is now just something you won't have to do later.  Your original description of shutting off with no warning nor sputtering of any kind sounded like ignition rather than fuel though.  Still, it's all maintenance that's now done and you'll not have to do again.

If you've swapped coils (and are assuming at least one of them is good) there's not much left to check.  Just for grins make sure there is 12 volts to the coil when the ignition and handlebar run switches are on.  Of the two wires there you're checking the white wire with the black tracer.  If there is power at that wire but you're still not getting spark (and since you've hopefully already eliminated the coil) you're down to only two parts.  Cam sensor or the ignition module.  Of the two the cam sensor is far more likely to fail.  Pull the cam cover and plate off and see if it looks a little melty in there.

If you want to change all of it for less money than a couple of Harley parts will cost you could also consider Plan B.  Something like the Ultima Single Fire kits.  You get a new ignition module that does the job of the original module and the cam sensor both in one new part and a new single fire coil.

Just in case....  Single fire ignition just means that the coil fires on the front and rear cylinders separately and individually each time around.  The stock system fires both cylinders every time.  Honestly, going to single fire isn't that big a deal.  The dual fire systems (obviously) worked fine for year.  Single fire (to my ears) starts a little easier.  The kit lets you play with timing curves in a way you couldn't before (as easily anyway).  Probably more importantly to what you're doing though is that it just replaces everything with new bits so you don't have to think about it.  I'd not do it for just a coil.  Depending on the cost of a new ignition module from Harley that might make me think about it the change.  If the cam sensor has crapped out and I've got to thread it all in and out anyway I'd make the change then "just because."

JayKael87

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »

Yeah I actually came to the conclusion that it may be the cam sensor after being in my shop till 1am last night following the manual no spark troubleshooting instructions. I'm going to order it today. I'll respond better to your post when I have a little more time I'm at work right now. Thanks!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »

I am confused again (actually pretty normal for me).  Earlier you mentioned that you had "great spark". One of the first things that was checked. No you don't have spark?  Maybe you have another problem now after the work you did.  You may want to double check that you didn't inadvertently discount or cause the spark issue as you worked through the fuel delivery. I know I have broke stuff fixing other things before! :) 
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.