Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: In search of Big Foot (aka Saskwatch)....  (Read 19531 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
In search of Big Foot (aka Saskwatch)....
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:11:40 AM »

Got up at 4:30 a.m. this morning to meet Don (DDavidson) at Denny's in Cordelia (an hour from Elk Grove) for breakfast at 6:30 a.m.  We're off on a quest to visit the area that has a history for having more big foot sightings than anywhere else on earth.....the Trinity Alps of northern California.

A quick breakfast as recommended by the Iron Butt Association......oatmeal.  Don tells me he had a lot of fog coming up from the bay area.  I was surprised since I didn't have any fog riding across the Sacramento valley where it's notorius for the fog.

We leave Denny's a get on the road.....I-80 West to Vallejo and over to US-101.  A beautiful sunrise as we enter the on-ramp.....

As soon as we come over the summit into Vallejo, we see the whole valley floor socked in with dense fog.  This is not going to be good.  It was 40F when we left Denny's but in just a few more minutes it's going to be down around 32F-34F and stay there for the next four hours of riding. :nervous:

Riding down the hill into this, we just know it's going to be cold, wet and miserable riding.....we press on.  Big Foot is waiting to bring in the new year with us.....

a clear pocket and we see the sun rising, from across the bay....

Don's cold.....

clear skys ahead......there's hope...... ;D

Shooting up Hwy 101 north.....our route is 6.5 hrs. of drive time.  With gas stops, photo ops, lunch, etc. I'm thinking at least 8 hrs....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: In search of Big Foot (aka Saskwatch)....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:12:24 AM »

We rode in and out of heavy fog pockets all morning.....up past Willits, Ca.

Our first big foot sighting......

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:17:19 AM »

Great pics! Love the yellow '09!  :-*
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

johno

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 1994 Electra Glide Classic
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »

Looks like you had good weather and a nice ride - did you make it to the bigfoot motel? ;D

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:13:44 AM »

Great pictures as always, glad the sun came out for you guys. Have a great New Years Day ride, keep the pictures coming so we can join you on the ride. Thanks JC. Happy New Years to You and Don....and everyone else on the site !!!!!!! :orange: Jon

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »

We're having a great time.  Unexplored territory for both Don and I, so it's all new to us.  We're in the heart of what is referred to as the emerald triangle (spell that wacky-tobaccy, aka hemp, aka refer, aka canabis, aka marijuana) and it's pretty obvious.  Last night on TV there was a documentary about it and saying that California, while it's been the number one agricultural producing state in the nation for years, marijuana is the number one cash crop in Calif. ???

Still riding through the redwoods here, we're riding Avenue of The Giants....

Back out on US 101.....while not the same as Ave. of The Giants, still a beautiful ride on a nice highway.  Unlike the summer months when this area is loaded up with motorhomes, campers and trailers...tourists vacationing, there was very little traffic making for a very nice ride. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »

Tsunami Hazard Zone.... :o

We finally arrive in Eureka.  Headed over the bridge, across the bay, to the Samoa Cookhouse for lunch.......and we can't get there fast enough.  We're HUNGRY! :P

We have arrived......SAMOA COOKHOUSE.  http://www.samoacookhouse.net/

and it looks like we're in good company (they're from Vancouver)....

a lumberjack's dog (he was in there eating) had jumped out of the truck and was seriously wanting in the front door.  Don let the dog in the first door....accidentally....but got him back outside by promising him a piece of the pot roast that was the lunch menu. ;D

At the Samoa it's still as it were when it was the lumber company owned town.....everything served family style and you eat what's on the menu for that day.  You can't go wrong.....it's always excellent. :2vrolijk_21:

The caption below this picture.....this tree was 24' wide (at it's widest) and they used a 28' two man whip saw to cut it down.

the cows had their own underpass to the pasture on the other side.....

West Coast GTG   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »

Awesome ride thanks for sharing.  Raining and cold here in Alabama
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »

Great ride report. :2vrolijk_21:

I was just thinking how great it was to get my bike out yesterday for a 3 hour ride. Here in the St. Louis area this time of year it's pretty unusual to get a warm day to ride.

Now I want more.

Thanks,
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »

Great pics JC, I love that area. It always seems to be good weather this time of year, cold, but normally clear skies. Keep your eyes peeled for the big furry guy, and have a great ride.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »

Nice ride report, We had breakfast at the cookhouse last time I was there with you....Looks like time has stood still since then, alot of interesting artifacts to look at and facts to read about. Great place to stop at if your inthat area.

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »

Awesome pictures, thanks for taking the time to share!!
Craig

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »

Let there be no doubt there is no fair weather only riders in your group my friend!

Really enjoyed the views!

:2vrolijk_21:

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »

Great pics JCZ thank you for sharing so does Big Foot ride a Harley  :nixweiss:

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »

We headed east from Hwy. 101 on Hwy. 299 for big foot country, the Trinity Alps....

We have arrived....

The Big Foot Museum is closed in the winter.  However, I contacted them earlier in the week and the lady volunteered to come in and open up if I'd call her in advance.  I did and she did and we really appreciate it.  More than just a big foot museum......many hisorical artifacts and items from the gold rush days of 1849.  The lady that runs the museum was very nice and full of information regarding big foot (none of it first hand experience), the filming of the documentaries in the area (and in their museum) and all the books, magazines, web sites, etc. about big foot.

and Don fist bumping the baby foot....

other artifacts and items in the museum....

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 22 queries.