CVO Technical > Riding Gear

Full Face Helmets

(1/12) > >>

MJZ:
Several months ago there was a thread that detoured off into a dicussion about full face helmets and how hard they were to get used to and how long it took to get accoustomed to one.
Just wanted to throw this out for discussion. Back in early November I bought a full face with the flip-up chin from my local stealer. When I first started using it, I found it was like having a tight 5 gallon bucket with a couple of eye holes cut in on my head. Uncomfortable, site restricting, restricting to head movement and just plain awkward. But as recommended on this site, I decided to wear only that helmet for a couple of months. I have to report it worked for me. This past Sunday we had a beautiful 70 degree day and when I left I grabbed my 3/4 and took off. By the time I got to the end of the block I decided to come back and switch helmets. I found I have grown used to the full face and really missed the secure feeling it provides.
So, I guess to answer the original question, took me 3 months. But we do have winter here and that 3 months translates to about 400 miles.
Just my 2 cents. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Mark Z

VANAMAL:
ditto- i really like my flip up also. i have the hd model now and will upgrade soon. anyone with a flip up they really like? [smiley=banana.gif]

JCZ:
I believe that I may have contributed in that thread that went astray.

RedFXR2:
First, I'm sorry to hear about Terrie's accident.  Good thing she had the headgear.

Coincidentally I was trying on full-face helmets this morning.  The one that fit me the best (of the ones I tried) was the ZR1.  Guy at the shop claims it won a helmet test in Motorcyclist magazine recently.  I know what you mean about feeling like your head is in a bucket.  The more, however that I read about accidents, the more I think they're probably a good idea.  I've used a 3/4 for years and just wish I could get a longer face shield, but if I'm going to upgrade, I figure I better at least look at a full-face.  I'll definitely find a Nolan dealer to try theirs.

The thing I thought about today in the shop was this:  Even with ventilation ports, how hot are these things?  I mean, it gets really *warm* down here in the summer, like hot as H.  I can see sweating so much as to impair my vision.  

HUBBARD:
JCZ,
  I, also, am sorry to hear about Terrie's accident.  Glad she's OK!  I tried on some Full Face Helmets, a while back, when there was some conversation about 'em on the Site.  Man, I don't like them at all!  MJZ's comments gave me another point of view.  Thanks.  Later--HUBBARD  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version