Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gerbing liner recall  (Read 4910 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Gerbing liner recall
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »

This affects all jackets with PO#3796 on the tag. It appears its affecting liners up to a couple years back.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Gerbings-Recalls-Heated-Jacket-Liners/

Quote:
 Name of product:
 12-volt heated jacket liners

Hazard:
 A defective wire connector can cause the jacket liner to overheat, posing a burn hazard to consumers.
 Recall Details

Units:
 About 9,900

Description:
 This recall involves Gerbings and Harley-Davidson® black nylon, 12-volt, heated jacket liners. The jacket liners heat up when plugged into a vehicle, such as a motorcycle or snowmobile. “Gerbing’s Heated Clothing” or “Harley Davidson®” is printed on the front left chest of the jacket liners. The Gerbing’s jacket liners have model number JKLN and PO# 3796 and Harley-Davidson® jackets have model number 98324-09VM and GM32873, GM32874, GM34188, GM34189, GM34190 or GM34191. The model number, PO number and “Use only 12 Volts” are printed on a label sewn inside next to the jacket liner’s front zipper.

Incidents/Injuries:
 Gerbings has received two reports of the jacket liners overheating, causing minor dime-sized burns to consumers’ backs, resulting in blisters.

Remedy:
 Consumers should immediately stop using the jacket liners and contact Gerbings, LLC for a free repair or replacement liner.

Sold at:
 Harley-Davidson® dealerships, Eagle Leather and other sporting goods, retail stores and motorcycle shops nationwide from April 2011 through December 2012 for between $200 and $240.

Importer:
 Gerbings, LLC, of Stoneville, N.C.

Manufactured in:
 China

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
Re: Gerbing liner recall
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »

Thanks Buddy!

Trudy has actually had this happen with her liner.  I will check out the tag and call them, time wise it is in the range of when she bought her new liner.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »

Yep, happened to me back in 2011 while riding out in Utah for 8 days...  I didn't have any other cold weather gear at the time and had to rely on that liner.  The PDU connection point on the left side where the wires connect to the jacket is where the hot spot developed.  And when I say hot spot I mean one hell of a burning hot spot.  Had to roll up a sock and put cardboard between me and the liner to keep from getting physically burned/blistered.  And all the while switching power on/off to try and maintain some level of comfort. Thankfully there weren't too many frosty mornings/days to deal with...

Thanks to JC I learned that gerbings at that time was already aware of the issue and made things right by sending me out a replacement liner... so now I travel with the new one and I also carry the older one (since repaired) as a back up...  The problem as I see it, if you travel cross country and pack for foul weather fully relying on that heated gear, if it fails, your screwed as I don't pack much else except for the liner and a light windbreaker which of course is all you need if things work right...

Still a huge fan of Gerbings as I think their product is the bomb...  just be aware, electronics can and will fail when least expected. good to have a contingency plan just in case when travelling far from home, even if that means carrying a spare, even if its just the vest liner...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:50:52 AM by EagleGlider »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »

Took mine back to the Harley dealer where I'd purchased it on May 18th.  Came back from Gerbing in today's mail already.  Can't beat that! :2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »

Thanks for the heads up...

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.