Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: O2 sensors  (Read 1846 times)

Tros

O2 sensors
« on: April 22, 2007, 01:30:45 PM »

I've noticed from reading here that Zippers ECM uses wide band O2 sensors and the HD ECM uses narrow band sensors.

That makes me wonder why can't the HD ECM be reprogrammed to use wide band sensors?  I've found the ECM's ability to "learn" or "dial itself in" interesting, the bike doesn't surge at highway speeds nearly as bad as it did early on. 

While I'm asking.....Why isn't the HD Cruise Control kit offered for the Softails?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: O2 sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 01:35:19 PM »

Can't speak to any re-programmability of the stock ECM to add that much new mission to its system.  Cruise on the Softails is just a question of where to mount the control unit though. 

There are aftermarket kits that will mount a HD cruise control on a Softail.  I did one on a buddy's bike.  But even with the chrome cover they supply to hide things (somewhat) you've still got a small tumor sticking out that just looks like it shouldn't be there.  Functionally it can be done.  It is esthetically challenged though.

Tros

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 09:05:45 PM »

Can't speak to any re-programmability of the stock ECM to add that much new mission to its system.  Cruise on the Softails is just a question of where to mount the control unit though. 

There are aftermarket kits that will mount a HD cruise control on a Softail.  I did one on a buddy's bike.  But even with the chrome cover they supply to hide things (somewhat) you've still got a small tumor sticking out that just looks like it shouldn't be there.  Functionally it can be done.  It is esthetically challenged though.

Thanks.  Where did you get the kit from and how much rewiring did you have to do? 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:34:19 PM »

Thanks.  Where did you get the kit from and how much rewiring did you have to do? 

Tros, I didn't buy the kit for that bike.  It was a friend's and he bought all the parts.  I was just the forced and beer fed labor.  Fortunately remembered the product name though.  Found the company with Google.  This was what got used:

http://www.cruisemount.com/product.html

It went on and worked ok.  Personally I didn't care for it not because of any functionality questions, but because I thought it was ugly as sin once installed.  A wee tumor sticking out that's just not supposed to be there.  But it did work just fine.

Rhino

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »

I've noticed from reading here that Zippers ECM uses wide band O2 sensors and the HD ECM uses narrow band sensors.

That makes me wonder why can't the HD ECM be reprogrammed to use wide band sensors?  I've found the ECM's ability to "learn" or "dial itself in" interesting, the bike doesn't surge at highway speeds nearly as bad as it did early on. 

While I'm asking.....Why isn't the HD Cruise Control kit offered for the Softails?

The bandwith capability is wrong, the widebands are designed to moitor and maintain a closed loop at all times. The Harley is designed closed loop, (way to lean) at idle and cruise only/ Will NOT integrate.  You need a wide band device such as the Zippers Autotune TMAX.

Re the cruise, Don'tcha think the softail is a zoom zoom local hopper, while our barca loungers need it while we mix a new drink on the highway.

Rhino

Tros

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 11:02:44 PM »

Tros, I didn't buy the kit for that bike.  It was a friend's and he bought all the parts.  I was just the forced and beer fed labor.  Fortunately remembered the product name though.  Found the company with Google.  This was what got used:

http://www.cruisemount.com/product.html

It went on and worked ok.  Personally I didn't care for it not because of any functionality questions, but because I thought it was ugly as sin once installed.  A wee tumor sticking out that's just not supposed to be there.  But it did work just fine.

Ok, thanks for the link with pics.  :2vrolijk_21:  It's a shame they couldn't have put it in the HD toolbox since the location is darn close the where it would be mounted.  the cable is the real eyesore to me.  Actually with a longer cable it could almost be hiddin by a saddlebag and routed over the top of the oil tank.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:14:16 AM by Tros »

Tros

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:13:28 AM »

The bandwith capability is wrong, the widebands are designed to monitor and maintain a closed loop at all times. The Harley is designed closed loop, (way to lean) at idle and cruise only/ Will NOT integrate.  You need a wide band device such as the Zippers Autotune TMAX.

Re the cruise, Don'tcha think the softail is a zoom zoom local hopper, while our barca loungers need it while we mix a new drink on the highway.

Rhino

Not really, I tried very hard to like the RK but it's just too short (front to back) and with the exception of the FXR, I'm not a fan of the rubber mount system.  The FLSTSC handles & rides much better than you'd think and is much easier to push around the garage (very low center of gravity and well balanced).  The Springer fork ain't for everyone but I love it.   :bananarock:

We took a little 207 mile ride yesterday, no complaints other than the expected turbulence from the big ol' barn door windshield above 75 mph.  Then again, I didn't buy it for high speed touring.  I think I killed at least 10000 bugs yesterday.  :)  I don't generally use the bike for errands and really don't like riding around town anymore than necessary.  When I get the BossBags we'll be riding a lot farther.  The stock mufflers are sounding better all the time, deep tone but not overtly loud.

On the HD ECM, I was trying to figure out if the O2 sensor bandwidth is hardware or software limited. 

Rhino

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 09:52:34 AM »

The stock O2 sensor is hardware limited. Bosch for a Volkswagon is the one most use in kits, ie Zippers, Twin Tec etc.  It has more wires, (5) vs stock 2..i think its two.  I do not think the Race Tuner will work with the wide band either, since it is designed to be run in open loop most of the time.  IMHO, just get the TMAX system and be done with it.

Rhino(tmaxfan)

Tros

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 10:27:32 AM »

The stock O2 sensor is hardware limited. Bosch for a Volkswagen is the one most use in kits, IE Zippers, Twin Tec etc.  It has more wires, (5) vs stock 2..i think its two.  I do not think the Race Tuner will work with the wide band either, since it is designed to be run in open loop most of the time.  IMHO, just get the TMAX system and be done with it.

Rhino(tmaxfan)

OK now I'm understanding the limitations of the HD setup.  Thank you.  :) 

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.