Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Heated Pants Melted  (Read 1799 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Heated Pants Melted
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:01:12 AM »

Is it just me, did I miss some thing in the directions or is it that the HD heated pants need a heat shield on the right leg to prevent them from melting on the pipes?  :nixweiss:

Paid $150.00 + for the pants this past winter, had a chance to wear them a few days ago on a very early and cold morning for a PGR run to NJ. When I arrived at the staging area about 30 minutes later the right bottom pants leg had contacted the hot pipes and melted. :(

Are you supposed to wear chaps over them?  :nixweiss:

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Heated Pants Melted
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »

not sure which one's you have..  i have the heated pant liner and i wear them under jeans and then my chaps..   The pant liner is meant to be worn under your normal clothing which should be enough protection against melting from a hot engine/exhaust unless someone leans against an exhaust and i would suspect a loud O U C H would accompany that episode..  If you are wearing the pant liner only, like a gym sweat pant, (LMAO imagining that  :P) then yes, i would say you can easily melt from the hot heat off the rear header..  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:41:18 AM by cvobiker »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »

I never bought the pants with the jacket becuase there is no frigging way I could fit them under my pants. Those heated pants are a bit bulky and to fit them under your pants, you'd have to get a pair a levi's at least another size larger. Doesn't make sense, so I've been just thinking about getting a pair of the heated liners larger enough to go over. As such, this burning issue is now a concern. I thought they had a sown fabric swatch on the right leg?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »

I've melted a couple pairs if various rain pants but haven't owned any heated pants.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »

Maybe they over heated. :P

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »

Maybe they over heated. :P
well, they are 'hot pants', aren't they?  ;D har. spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 07:11:50 AM »

I never bought the pants with the jacket because there is no frigging way I could fit them under my pants. Those heated pants are a bit bulky and to fit them under your pants, you'd have to get a pair a Levi's at least another size larger. Doesn't make sense, so I've been just thinking about getting a pair of the heated liners larger enough to go over. As such, this burning issue is now a concern. I thought they had a sown fabric swatch on the right leg?

Exactly what I was thinking when I purchased them. There is no way you could wear them under your normal jeans unless you also purchased a new pair of jeans 2 sizes larger then your normal size. Maybe your supposed to buy a new paid of chaps 2 sizes larger then normal from Harley when you buy the pants...

I read the book that comes with them and there is nothing about how you are supposed to wear them. The good thing is that it is easy to remove the melted plastic from the pipes. Just let the pipes cool and take a penny and lightly scrap the plastic with the edge of the penny, no scratches left on the pipes.

I am going to take them back and complain.

These are the pants I bought, only talks about the jacket liner, nothing about the pants but I suppose you need to wear them under other clothing.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448772415&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374307790323&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374307790323&bmUID=1289839985163&bmLocale=en_US

Jim
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:16:05 AM by bissjim »

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »

Exactly what I was thinking when I purchased them. There is no way you could wear them under your normal jeans unless you also purchased a new pair of jeans 2 sizes larger then your normal size.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448772415&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374307790323&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374307790323&bmUID=1289839985163&bmLocale=en_US

Jim

i dont have the Harley version, i have the Gerbing which should be the same..  Mine fit under my jeans.. I remember when i purchased them i had go with the next size down from what my size.. My pant liners look identical and when worn they are tight, not bulky..  I'm not sure what you have but im thinking you didnt get the right size and perhaps you are suppose to wear them under your jeans   :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »

well, they are 'hot pants', aren't they?  ;D har. spyder
You ain't right Spyder! :zstupid: :huepfenlol2:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »

Men's Heated Pant Liner

100% nylon ripstop. For best results, heated liner should be worn over a base layer and then under a jacket. Includes instruction manual, wiring, power switch, and connecting harness switch so they can be worn by themselves. Zipper and snap waist closure. Rib-knit leg cuffs. Graphics on left hip. 98326-09VM fits 30-32" inseam. 98326-09VL fits 34-36" inseam. One year limited warranty on garment. Lifetime warranty on heating elements

To me when it says 'liner' they should be under , but they say over a base layer, what would that be with 'jeans'?   but at lease there is a warranty....
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »

Exactly what I was thinking when I purchased them. There is no way you could wear them under your normal jeans unless you also purchased a new pair of jeans 2 sizes larger then your normal size. Maybe your supposed to buy a new paid of chaps 2 sizes larger then normal from Harley when you buy the pants...

I read the book that comes with them and there is nothing about how you are supposed to wear them. The good thing is that it is easy to remove the melted plastic from the pipes. Just let the pipes cool and take a penny and lightly scrap the plastic with the edge of the penny, no scratches left on the pipes.

I am going to take them back and complain.

These are the pants I bought, only talks about the jacket liner, nothing about the pants but I suppose you need to wear them under other clothing.

Jim

My first response inclination.......Harley pants liners..... that's normal....they all do that".  But probably not funny to you.

But...........uhhhh......the title says "pants liner".  Just like a jacket liner.....they're designed to be worn underneath.  Now if you're wearng on of those BMW or Goldwing riding suits, they'll fit just fine.  Or........if you're a youngster and into the saggy baggies, they'll probably fit under your jeans. :huepfenlol2:

The heated pants (and they work great and don't melt on your exhaust and made by the same people that make the HD brand) look like this.....  http://gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/extreme%20element%20pants.php

I've done an evaluation in the riding gear board.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »

Here you go.....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68677.0

By the way, nylon against a hot exhaust will always melt.  Nomex (the non flammable material that doesn't melt) is a totally different material......different look, different feel, different texture. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:45:18 AM »

My dealer replaced them yesterday. They agreed  with me that in order to wear them under a pair of jeans you would have to buy a pair of jeans 2 sizes larger then you would normally wear. The lady that takes care of the clothing Dept also thought that they were supposed to be worn over your existing pants. They said that they have replaced more then one pair because of the melting issue. You would think that if they replaced other pants they would have figured it out before selling them to me or at least let people know that they should be worn under other clothing. I think I will buy a new pair of chaps 2 sizes larger to wear over the new pair. There is a nice leather shop not far from home that sells quality leather chaps for half the price the dealer wants for the Harley branded ones.

Live and learn.

Jim

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »

they absolutely are supposed to be worn under *something*  chaps, carharts, snowsuit, etc

to

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »

I've found that wearing insulated or lined Wrangler work jeans gives plenty of warmth down to the mid-30's, and is fine with the rest of you you covered by heated grips, jacket liner, and the heated seat.  The pants should be designed as pull overs, imho.  Even styled after chaps would work great with our heated seats.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »

I have worn them over jeans and under rain gear...even just adding the rain gear to block the wind usually means not even turning on the heated pants.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 24 queries.