Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wow! Price of Redline stuff really jumped ...  (Read 1370 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Wow! Price of Redline stuff really jumped ...
« on: January 09, 2013, 12:40:15 AM »

20W-50 -- $13.95 qt.
MTL -- $14.95 qt.
Heavy Shockproof -- $15.49 qt.
(These seem to be the same price wherever you look ... local HD dealer also).

:o Last time I bought my stash back in 2005 I paid about 9 bucks a qt. I realize that was eight years ago but 4-5 bucks a qt. seems like a hell of a hike to me. The Power Pack deal for a $100.00 doesn't seem too bad .... pretty much gets you a hat, funnel, stickers & injector cleaner (works great, used it in a lot of my old bikes & cars) for free at least ...

Any group purchase discounts from here?  :nixweiss: ... nevermind, just looked now ... didn't see any. Maybe we could try to get one going soon? Not sure if Redline would cut us a better price, but can't hurt to try.

Here's the link for those who might be interested http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=105&pcid=19
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:55:17 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Wow! Price of Redline stuff really jumped ...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »

20W-50 -- $13.95 qt.
MTL -- $14.95 qt.
Heavy Shockproof -- $15.49 qt.
(These seem to be the same price wherever you look ... local HD dealer also).

:o Last time I bought my stash back in 2005 I paid about 9 bucks a qt. I realize that was eight years ago but 4-5 bucks a qt. seems like a hell of a hike to me. The Power Pack deal for a $100.00 doesn't seem too bad .... pretty much gets you a hat, funnel, stickers & injector cleaner (works great, used it in a lot of my old bikes & cars) for free at least ...

Any group purchase discounts from here?  :nixweiss: ... nevermind, just looked now ... didn't see any. Maybe we could try to get one going soon? Not sure if Redline would cut us a better price, but can't hurt to try.

Here's the link for those who might be interested http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=105&pcid=19

Now you know why they call oil, Black Gold.... :'(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »

Yup.  Kind of makes you wonder how they calculate that CPI that certain folks use to tell us inflation is so low.  Btw, it's not just the oil, the filters also have increased significantly over the past few years as well.

It's funny how I can buy top quality oil and filters for my automotive products for nearly half of the prices everyone charges for "Harley" or "motorcycle" versions.  It's not just H-D that abuses the customers, everyone else gets into the act as well.  Of course you can say the same thing about other recreational products I suppose.  Try buying anything for a boat for instance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:54:10 AM »

The frustrating thing about this is ... why is the price of this lubricant going up with the price of oil  :nixweiss: IT'S NOT EVEN MADE WITH OIL  :nervous: IT'S SYNTHETIC  :nixweiss:  I guess it is just a price gouge  :o
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »

Just a thought...anybody try/use the Amsoil product?  Their current (today) price is $11.95 for a quart with their black oil filter at $14.95 and the chrome one at $18.20.  Much better pricing than the HD products and looks like a better price than Red Line.  I've always used the HD oil/filters (black...chrome is just a waste of money) but have considered the RedLine, Royal Purple and Motul products but have not gone over to the aftermarket as of yet.

I understand the quality of Redline as quite of few of the forum folks here use it.  How about the others including Amsoil?  If it's less expensive and still does the same thing as the others, makes sense to me... :nixweiss:

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »

The frustrating thing about this is ... why is the price of this lubricant going up with the price of oil  :nixweiss: IT'S NOT EVEN MADE WITH OIL  :nervous: IT'S SYNTHETIC  :nixweiss:  I guess it is just a price gouge  :o

You do know that it is mostly made from hydrocracked crude oil, right? 

Synthetic Base Stocks

Synthetic motor oils are man made oils from the following classes of lubricants:

Polyalphaolefin (PAO) = American Petroleum Institute (API) Group IV base oil
    Synthetic esters, etc. = API Group V base oils (non-PAO synthetics, including diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes, alkylated benzenes, etc.)
    Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Shell, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high-quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005, production of GTL (gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began, the best of which perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III-base stocks are widely permitted to be marketed as synthetic motor oil with few exceptions where they are not allowed to be marketed as "synthetic" (for example, Germany).

KID ROCK

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 orange crush
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »

Just a thought...anybody try/use the Amsoil product?  Their current (today) price is $11.95 for a quart with their black oil filter at $14.95 and the chrome one at $18.20.  Much better pricing than the HD products and looks like a better price than Red Line.  I've always used the HD oil/filters (black...chrome is just a waste of money) but have considered the RedLine, Royal Purple and Motul products but have not gone over to the aftermarket as of yet.

I understand the quality of Redline as quite of few of the forum folks here use it.  How about the others including Amsoil?  If it's less expensive and still does the same thing as the others, makes sense to me... :nixweiss:
dont get me wrong amsoil is a good oil its a 100percent synthetic the bike dose run cooler. but what ive seen is gaskets leaking.now you know why harley syn3 oil is only 80 percent synthetic it dont leak................went over this with a amsoil rep at a bike show.he told me thats why we dont use full syn on the older harleys.then he said but the newer motors are fine.................why run the risk

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »

dont get me wrong amsoil is a good oil its a 100percent synthetic the bike dose run cooler. but what ive seen is gaskets leaking.now you know why harley syn3 oil is only 80 percent synthetic it dont leak................went over this with a amsoil rep at a bike show.he told me thats why we dont use full syn on the older harleys.then he said but the newer motors are fine.................why run the risk

Thanks for the reply but aren't all the products mentioned 100% synthetic including the Amsoil option?  Also, don't know who is telling you that the syn3 is only 80% synthetic...HD posts and sells it as 100% synthetic  :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »

How old a Harley are you talking about, an old EVO or Shovel perhaps?  If the joints and gaskets are decent, synthetic oil does not leak any more than dino oil.  If the joints and gaskets suck, like the older Harley's I mentioned, they would leak no matter what you put in the engine.  In other words, it isn't the oil and it isn't a valid consideration, especially on a Twin Cam.

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:05:02 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »

Thanks for the reply but aren't all the products mentioned 100% synthetic including the Amsoil option?  Also, don't know who is telling you that the syn3 is only 80% synthetic...HD posts and sells it as 100% synthetic  :nixweiss:

Thanks to a court ruling in Castrol's favor many years back, here in the USA the oil companies can call their stuff "synthetic" even if it isn't PAO Group 4 full synthetic.  So good luck figuring out what Harley's oil really is.  As is the case with all their lubes, they don't publish full specs for the consumer to review.  Makes it harder for many folks to substitute aftermarket products, or at least it did before the internet made it easy for people to find the information they need elsewhere.

Having said that, even the comparison test published by Amsooil a few years back ranked SYN3 very high, as in 4th overall out of about 17 products tested.  I would have no qualms about runnng it based on performance.  My reason for not running it has more to do with Harley's history of lying about using synthetics for all those years before they conviently came out with their own version, whereupon synthetics were A-OK all of a sudden.   Besides that, I can buy Mobil 1 at a whole lot more locations and at much better prices than what Harley charges.

Jerry

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »

Thanks for the reply but aren't all the products mentioned 100% synthetic including the Amsoil option?  Also, don't know who is telling you that the syn3 is only 80% synthetic...HD posts and sells it as 100% synthetic

Many manufacturers purchase a base stock that is refined just enough to push it out of a Group II classification and into the Group III where they can call it a synthetic and charge the higher price. In many cases, these oils are not much better than a quality Group II oil. They can only get by with this in the U.S. In Europe they don't allow them to advertise them as 100% synthetic.

Jerry got to it sooner than I did. Ditto to Jerry's comments.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »

The last virgin oil analysis I saw (last year) on the "New HD Syn3 oil" it was about 60% PAO Group IV.
And they did change the additive pack to improve it's thermo break down. Still made by Citgo.

Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »

Interesting....learn sumtin everyday here on the site. 

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.