Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: YamaKawaHondZuki Harley Lookalikes  (Read 4821 times)

ultrarider123

Re: YamaKawaHondZuki Harley Lookalikes
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »

Hey, I wave at everybody.  Two wheels is two wheels in my book.   :2vrolijk_21:
Sold Sukayamkawi's for a few years as a "fun" project on Saturdays.  Great bikes all.  Everyone of the brands has some issues, some more than others.  Personally, the Suzuki Intruder (first couple years produced) "sounded" the best with open pipes.
Funny thing is, I would ride my HD (normally the 1200 Sportster) to work, sit it in the parking lot during the day at the dealership and it would get more comments (good and bad) than the new Sukayamkawi sitting right next to it.  That speaks volumes right there.... :2vrolijk_21:

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »

I have had 12 motorcycles so far, the last five have been H-D.  Started with a Honda 250, the last of the first seven was a KAW 1100 LTD with a bunch of yamahammers and a suzuki in between. 

All were and are great.

Least to me.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »

As usual when someone starts one of these threads (and there have been many) we get a lot of propaganda from the Kool-Aid drinkers, and a lot of cheap shots at the Japanese bikes.  Nothing new in this one, same old chit.

Make all the snide comments you want, but if Harley had some of those Honda or Yamaha engineers on their staff perhaps they wouldn't have so many ridiculous quality problems.  Harley engineers can't even take mature automotive systems and put them on their bikes without having multiple years of failures.  Look at the ETC issues for instance that have been common since 2008 and continue to this day.  That's a relatively simple system, and they haven't got it right in five years so far.  Then look at the mechanical stuff that Harley let's go on for years rather than fix it in initial testing stages or at least after the first big batch of customer failures.  Yup, someone's engineering and quality is a joke, but I don't think it's Honda or Yamaha.

Jerry
Jerry,

Based on your comments it looks like you will be selling your Harley. Especially with your concerns of ridiculous quality problems and that their engineering is a joke. Honda and BMW make exceptional motorcycles. Just take the Goldwing as an example.

But I didn't start this thread as a Jap bike bash. More so, I started this thread as a discussion on the big 4 Japanese manufacturers copying Harley to a T. They just decided to use water Vtwin cooled engines, engineered in the clunk in the tranny and have tried their best to duplicate the Harley sound.

The Harley community of owners has all but forced Harley to keep a low engineered motorcycle. We even demanded the clunk in the transmission when we shift. It wasn't until 2005 or 2005 did EPA finally force Harley to get rid of the Carbs.

The community has really embraced the VRod, right?

Harley's are like an old '68 Camaro. We all know they brake down, have drum brakes and bias ply tires but there is something about them that makes them more fun to drive than a modern machine. I can't imagine anyone telling a '68 Camaro owner that his machine is an engineering joke.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:07:43 AM by willyB »
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »

As usual when someone starts one of these threads (and there have been many) we get a lot of propaganda from the Kool-Aid drinkers, and a lot of cheap shots at the Japanese bikes.  Nothing new in this one, same old chit.

Make all the snide comments you want, but if Harley had some of those Honda or Yamaha engineers on their staff perhaps they wouldn't have so many ridiculous quality problems.  Harley engineers can't even take mature automotive systems and put them on their bikes without having multiple years of failures.  Look at the ETC issues for instance that have been common since 2008 and continue to this day.  That's a relatively simple system, and they haven't got it right in five years so far.  Then look at the mechanical stuff that Harley let's go on for years rather than fix it in initial testing stages or at least after the first big batch of customer failures.  Yup, someone's engineering and quality is a joke, but I don't think it's Honda or Yamaha.

Jerry

Jerry - I agree with you on some things, and disagree on others.

I have had several metrics, and the quality has varied a lot. My old '72 Honda CB350, on which I started out, was a little gem. The '73 Kawi Z1 was not bad, but the paint sucked. The '85 Kawi ZL900 Eliminator was an awesome bike - fast as lightning and I never did anything but change the oil and have the valve shims adjusted once. It was a reliable rocket.

My '95 carbed Evo FLHTP was very reliable, and only stranded me once when the regulator had let go on a ride and the battery died. No voltmeter to let me know. $100 for a new reg and that was fixed.

But, the NAH V-Twin cruisers were different animals. They never felt right to either my wife (we bought them for her to ride), they were quite difficult to work on, and just appeared to be generally cheaply-made.

My wife's current Ninja 650 is another little gem. Very solid, light and highly maneuverable, and appears well-engineered. She loves it. I changed the oil several weeks ago... Took 20 minutes and 2 quarts. Gotta love that.

From my experience, the Asian manufacturers seem to have the crotch rocket bikes down, and the Gold Wing is admittedly in a class of its own. But, their V-Twin cruisers are not anywhere even close to the engineering and quality standards of their sport and sport touring bikes. They have spent lots of time and effort getting these bikes near-perfect, and frankly I don't think they spend nearly the time and effort with getting their V-Twin cruiser bikes to that level of quality nor performance.

To me, the metric V-Twin cruisers seem to have been developed fairly inexpensively, in order to simply have a V-Twin style cruiser in the stable. I don't know how well they sell - but I can say that we got absolute CHIT for the ones we have sold. Nobody seems to want them at ANY price, and they were pretty pristine and tricked-out bikes.

Not trying to brag... but I will say that on several rides with my wife's "Hells Grannies" group, people come up and look at the Honey Badger at every stop - but no one ever comes to look at the motley collection of NAHs and other assorted metrics, Triumphs, BMWs, etc in the group. Harleys simply draw people's attention because they are just so friggin' beautiful to look at! They really stand out in a crowd of metrics. No other bikes seem to have the visceral appeal to even non-riders that a Harley does.

Yeah, we all know about the Harley engineering issues, and we all would like it to be better - but the metric V-Twin cruisers have their share of engineering issues, too. And, in my experience they are just as expensive - or even more so - than Harleys are to have serviced. The V-Star 1100 had to have the exhaust removed to even get TO the oil filter - which is inside of the engine case. Why would they have engineered it like that? It was a two or more hour job to change the oil in that POS. I fixed that with a Baron's external oil filter mount to use a Road Star oil filter mounted in front like a Harley for $250... but that kind of engineering chit really put me off of that bike. The owners manual didn't even say how to change the oil... it simply said take it to an authorized dealer to have it done.... for $250!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »

I stopped to get gas while riding on a Kaw Vulcan 1500.  The bike didn't have any emblems or stickers on it anywhere.  While I was fueling it up a guy comes over and starts telling me how much he loved it and how it looked great and that he had one some years back.  I then realized he was thinking that I was riding on a H-D and told him it was a Kaw Vulcan. All of the sudden he hated it and wouldn't have it.  I thought to myself that this is the best example of blind loyalty I had ever seen.  One minute he loves it, the next he hates it. Go figure.  It's the same wind blowing in a rider's face, the same scenery being viewed and the same feeling of freedom being felt irregardless of what brand of bike someone is on.  Maybe if you worked at the local factory for $8.50 an hour and had a couple of kids and a wife to support along with all your other bills then a new CVO would be just a dream too.  Maybe that used Honda, Suzuki or Kaw is all you can afford and it's your ticket to a little freedom. Your escape from the pressures of making ends meet, even just for a little while as you ride the back roads.  I'm glad there are so many options for different riders to choose from.  I'm happy to see others riding on their bikes while I'm out riding mine. I never look down on any of them because of what they choose to ride. 
Jesus is Lord

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »

I stopped to get gas while riding on a Kaw Vulcan 1500.  The bike didn't have any emblems or stickers on it anywhere.  While I was fueling it up a guy comes over and starts telling me how much he loved it and how it looked great and that he had one some years back.  I then realized he was thinking that I was riding on a H-D and told him it was a Kaw Vulcan. All of the sudden he hated it and wouldn't have it.  I thought to myself that this is the best example of blind loyalty I had ever seen.  One minute he loves it, the next he hates it. Go figure.  It's the same wind blowing in a rider's face, the same scenery being viewed and the same feeling of freedom being felt irregardless of what brand of bike someone is on.  Maybe if you worked at the local factory for $8.50 an hour and had a couple of kids and a wife to support along with all your other bills then a new CVO would be just a dream too.  Maybe that used Honda, Suzuki or Kaw is all you can afford and it's your ticket to a little freedom. Your escape from the pressures of making ends meet, even just for a little while as you ride the back roads.  I'm glad there are so many options for different riders to choose from.  I'm happy to see others riding on their bikes while I'm out riding mine. I never look down on any of them because of what they choose to ride. 

Well said! That was really stupid of that guy! If he can't even tell the difference between a Harley and a Vulcan, he has no business even commenting, except to say the bike looks nice or something.

I wave to everyone on two or three wheels, no matter what the make... even mopeds. I ride a Harley, but I don't look down on people riding other makes.

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »

Well said! That was really stupid of that guy! If he can't even tell the difference between a Harley and a Vulcan, he has no business even commenting, except to say the bike looks nice or something.

I wave to everyone on two or three wheels, no matter what the make... even mopeds. I ride a Harley, but I don't look down on people riding other makes.

Ken

I agree. I also will give a wave to others on two/three wheels no matter what type of bike - cruiser,dirt bike,supermoto,race replica, whatever - I even give a wave when I'm riding the DUC. The best reactions are the scooter riders -- they don't appear to know what to think about some stranger on a motorcycle waving at them.

I do notice BMW riders tend NOT to wave back.. :nixweiss:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 08:53:49 PM »

I agree. I also will give a wave to others on two/three wheels no matter what type of bike - cruiser,dirt bike,supermoto,race replica, whatever - I even give a wave when I'm riding the DUC. The best reactions are the scooter riders -- they don't appear to know what to think about some stranger on a motorcycle waving at them.

I do notice BMW riders tend NOT to wave back.. :nixweiss:

ROTFL! Yeah, sometimes I wave at somebody on a little putter, and they wave back at the last moment.. As if "HEY! Some guy on a BIG BIKE just waved at me! I'd better wave BACK!"

I waved at a LOT of two-wheelers on the Cherohala last weekend who DIDN'T wave back... Including a group of about 10 GW riders who never returned the salute. I eventually gave in after the last non-saluting riders, with a middle finger "salute"...

Childish, I'll admit, but it made me feel inexplicably BETTER...

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »

Sorry, I don't put any bike down.  Those Suzuki Boulevard M109 are awesome.  My brother has one and it is a sweet ride.  I ride his bike when visiting, he loves to ride mine when he is over...

Ride whatever you like....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:59:35 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »

ROTFL! Yeah, sometimes I wave at somebody on a little putter, and they wave back at the last moment.. As if "HEY! Some guy on a BIG BIKE just waved at me! I'd better wave BACK!"

I waved at a LOT of two-wheelers on the Cherohala last weekend who DIDN'T wave back... Including a group of about 10 GW riders who never returned the salute. I eventually gave in after the last non-saluting riders, with a middle finger "salute"...

Childish, I'll admit, but it made me feel inexplicably BETTER...

Ken

Now you got me chuckling  :huepfenlol2:

I've got this image in my head now of some poor guy riding down the road with his lovely significant other - trying to figure out what the heck he did to anger that dude on the Harley..
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:35 PM »

My kid brother (47) has always wanted a bike.  He was telling me he wanted an FJ1300 or something similar.  I told him to look for a small bike to start, use it for a year and move up

His girlfriend found him a Suzuki C90t, she loved its colour and the passenger seat... so he bought it as his first bike.

It looks and sounds like a Road King.  Its a 2008 with only 15K km on it. it was cheap at 8K plus leather bags and a trailer.  This is post divorce payments for him so money is tight.

I like the bike, it rides nice, has a great feel to it.  It looks nice in white and gold.  He loves it.  Is it in the same ballpark as my 2000 SERG?  No, mine is a better ride, and it attracts the crowds.  But he put 2200 km on it last month, and he is riding, so as far as I am concerned its the best and most bike he can afford and he is happy.  Just like my other friends who ride metrics.  I just found that the frame of a HD fit me better for long trips.

BTW I still have my 1984 GW Standard 1200, that is a sweet light weight bike to ride, and it is a blast to run around town... but I cramp up if I drive it too far.

I also find metric framed cruisers, most oftne the Hondas to be SMALL, which is a good thing for small men and women. 

To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »

As usual when someone starts one of these threads (and there have been many) we get a lot of propaganda from the Kool-Aid drinkers, and a lot of cheap shots at the Japanese bikes.  Nothing new in this one, same old chit.

Make all the snide comments you want, but if Harley had some of those Honda or Yamaha engineers on their staff perhaps they wouldn't have so many ridiculous quality problems.  Harley engineers can't even take mature automotive systems and put them on their bikes without having multiple years of failures.  Look at the ETC issues for instance that have been common since 2008 and continue to this day.  That's a relatively simple system, and they haven't got it right in five years so far.  Then look at the mechanical stuff that Harley let's go on for years rather than fix it in initial testing stages or at least after the first big batch of customer failures.  Yup, someone's engineering and quality is a joke, but I don't think it's Honda or Yamaha.
Jerry

Jerry, you seem to never miss a Chance to bash H.D and the motor company. Could you please explain to some of us dummies out here that love their Harley, why you still ride one and follow this forum so closely?  I for one have ridden Triumph, BSA, Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha's in my 49 years of riding. I would be the FIRST to tell you that a Harley is far from perfect, but I can also tell you that all of the brands I have mentioned and had personal experience with have also proven to me to be far from perfect. I am also a hard core G.M guy, but I have had issues in the past with a few of them right off the showroom floor, just like my good buddy that is a hard core Ford guy whose 3 year old powerstroke had to be towed in on his way to Sturgis last year. Lucky for him he had two Harley's in his trailer so he did not have to hitch a ride in to town. I am an an auto tech by trade in an independent shop that services ALL makes an models. TRUST ME THEIR IS ABSOLUTELY NO AUTO OR TRUCK MANUFACTURERS THAT DO NOT HAVE THEIR PROBLEMS, as you should very well know, being in the business.  If I disliked a brand as much as you seem to, I do believe I would "move on", unless I am missing something??   Just sayin, not trying to cause a controversy.

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 12:10:11 AM »

this is probably a similar story. My first bike was a Harley 50cc street bike. 3 speed with a handlebar shift. I was 9 yrs. old. Wish I still had it probably would be worth a fortune but I'm sure it was an import with a Harley logo on the tank.

over the next 50 years I've probably owned or ridden every brand of motorcycle there is. Funny thing is my brother, my best friend and I all bought Yamaha XS650's back in the 70's. I loved that bike as it was my first real street bike. all my previous bikes were dirt bikes with the exception of the Harley 50. We all purchased identical bikes the same day. My brothers bike blew the engine a couple weeks out of warranty and he parted it out. mine and my neighbors ran for years. there is still a cult following for the XS650. every manufacturer has its issues. the truest statement I've ever heard about any brand of motorcycle is "some folks swear by them and some swear at them".

I ride a Harley CVO Breakout. I give some of my friends a little jab once in a while about their non Harley motorcycle all in good fun and no one ever gets upset. In my opinion there is a prestige that comes with riding a Harley, a sense of history, a sense of American pride. this is a feeling I usually keep to myself. But a feeling I get every time I hit the start button and cruise down the highway. Something that is felt. If your ride, regardless of manufacturer, gives you that feeling then you have something special.

First and foremost Ride, enjoy yourself and our great country. I choose to ride a Harley your choice may be different, I can respect that!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.