Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Year the MOCO used stretched bags  (Read 2457 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Year the MOCO used stretched bags
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »

I've installed the regular gloss black on my 08 SERK to replace the vinyl bags.  While I like the hard bags, if I'm going to pay to have them custom painted I might as well get the bags I really want.  I'm leaning towards the stretched bags for the bike, so while I'm looking for used ones I need to know which year the stretched bags were used.  The aftermarket has all sizes but I don't want to be scrapping the bottom when I ride.

Thanks

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Year the MOCO used stretched bags
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »

The stretched bags started in 09 with the FLTRSE
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:10:29 AM »

The bags that "looked" streatched but had the fake extensions was the 09 SERG.  The real streatched bags started in 10 with the SESG
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mark

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »

Each stretched bag has a metal plate on the bottom in the event you drag it.  It's not really a problem, I've had it happen once since I got my bike in late 2009.  If buying used bags, stay away from the HD ones made in 09.  As mentioned above, the extension was fake and HD used a trim piece to hide where the bag and extension piece meet.

BTW, extended bags will look great on your SERK.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 07:43:55 PM »

Thanks for the info.  So 2010 is when they started, how many years did they continue to make them?  My SERK was raised when I went to the 13" Bitubo's, but I still scrape the legs for the  floor board's on both sides plus the Bassani 2 into 1 exhaust likes to touch down once in a while.   

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »

Don't know how many dressers gotum, but the '13 SERK for sure.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »

Optional equipment on my '11 Ultra.  ::)

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 12:12:47 AM »

10's on my 09 Ultra.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:16:12 AM by MAT »

mark

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »

A buddy had stretched bags painted to match his CVO RG and he got them from Milwaukee Bagger.  He was able to use the existing hardware and saddlebag lid.  Pic attached.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:10:52 AM by Mark »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 12:06:30 PM »

I've installed the regular gloss black on my 08 SERK to replace the vinyl bags.  While I like the hard bags, if I'm going to pay to have them custom painted I might as well get the bags I really want.  I'm leaning towards the stretched bags for the bike, so while I'm looking for used ones I need to know which year the stretched bags were used.  The aftermarket has all sizes but I don't want to be scrapping the bottom when I ride.

Thanks

If you're going as far as to have the bags custom painted, you may as well get the Rushmore 1 touch lids. 'Just Sayin'
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »

Thanks

Ray, as others have said, fake in '09 like my '09 SERG and real in '10.

Now keep in mind that they are only used by MOCO on SE's with integrated rear fender and taillight filler panels with the other half of the round muffler relief.

If you use the extended bags alone, it may look somewhat odd from the rear as there are not any filler panels on a SERK.  I had an '08 SERK Annie and my preference has always been the painted hard bags and not the leather hard bags, but my wife liked the leather wrapped bags so I didn't change... Until I got the '09 SERG.

You may want to look into adding some filler panels to the rear of the SERK, but it may also necessitate a new rear fender.

I'm sure some have done the short change out to "just" the bags and others here have done the full change out with fillers.  I'm sure more will chime in as more read your thread.

As far as space goes, there truly is not a lot of difference between the '09 wannabe extended versus the true molded extended.

I saw quite a few of the '08 SERK Annies with the Ultra painted standard bags installed and the bikes looked great.  I will admit my wife is correct, the '08 SE Annie color combination was one of the prettiest colors I've seen in quite some time.  But it's all VERY subjective, that's why we all have different bikes.

Good luck with your choices.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »

Do not buy the strecthed bags from 09's!

BigLew

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.