Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many dB does the new HD horn put out?  (Read 6583 times)

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
How many dB does the new HD horn put out?
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:34:38 AM »

I have a 2014 CVO Breakout. Looking at a new horn with 110 dB. Would that be louder than mine?
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
Re: How many dB does the new HD horn put out?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »

Not sure what horn you have, but the side mounted horn on the 2014 and newer touring bikes is the new Loud Side Mount Horn.  I've read that it's 130db's, but I can't confirm myself.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »

When you try to compare loudness between horns, or just shop for horns, you will quickly find that comparing dB claims is flaky at best.  Some will admit, in the fine print, that those big numbers are measured within a few inches of the horn.  If you don't plan to use the horn until you're right on top of whatever you're trying to alert to your presence, maybe that 130 dB at three inches would be a meaningful spec to you.

I recommend an air horn set from a diesel locomotive.  You'll have to rig up a compressor and air tank large enough to feed the horns, so you might need to add a trailer or sidecar.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:38:44 AM »

And who said Jerry doesn't provide the most sage advice.
Or have a sense of humor.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

How many dB does the new HD horn put out?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »

I would prefer the loudest horns I could reasonably mount in a hidden way (on an Ultra) WITHOUT using air. Just simple electric-only and really loud. Think 1975 Sedan Deville, that's what I want.
Yes, I've had  Stebel and Fiamm, can't like them, not at all. The old Caddys used a tri-tone set up and each horn is about 3x the HD horn's physical size.
My compromise thus far is a kit that has two small car-style horns (hi-lo tone) that are each slightly larger than and louder than the HD unit. I got two kits (four total horns) and first swapped one with the stock horn and it *just* fits under the cover. Next I made a little bracket and mounted the second horn above the starter at the battery box and it's virtually hidden but since these are chrome, it fairly blends anyway. Did I mention that the kit has chrome horns?.
The next step was fabbing a bracket to securely mount the second pair of horns as a unit hidden behind the right saddlebag, aft of the shock.
A suitable relay installed, of course. Yes, it's very loud. I love it. No, it's not as loud as I want, but it's WAY louder than stock and quite the head-turner.
And no after-wheezing.
Not that this helps with your Breakout or your question....  I'm just spouting off.
If HD has a new"loud" horn, I'll surely need to know more about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:41:43 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:36:14 PM »

2014 CVO horn way louder than 2010 limited horn
Will

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »

The new "high output" horn is also in the catalog, and while they don't say what the dB level is, they do claim it's 5 dB louder than the previous stock horn, for whatever that's worth.

I'm not sure there is a way to install larger multiple horns on something like a Breakout or anything that doesn't have a fairing, lowers, and other stuff that can be used to hide them. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 06:05:50 PM »

Had a train air horn on my house boat, used co2 to fire it off.  It would wake the dead.  Would probably knock a Harley sideways that is if you could get it all mounted on it. Tank was 4 feet tall, horns were 3 feet long. Gave them to my Buddy when I sold the boat.  :coolblue:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:10:46 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 10:29:33 PM »

The new "high output" horn is also in the catalog, and while they don't say what the dB level is, they do claim it's 5 dB louder than the previous stock horn, for whatever that's worth.

I'm not sure there is a way to install larger multiple horns on something like a Breakout or anything that doesn't have a fairing, lowers, and other stuff that can be used to hide them. 

Jerry
I replaced mine with this one and honestly hard to tell the difference.. I still blip my throttle instead of my horn when I want them to hear/see me. Boarzillas work better than the horn.
Alan

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.