Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Really cool new battery charging system  (Read 3510 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Really cool new battery charging system
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:36:17 PM »

Had no clue what section to put this post in.  I should have a picture but just had to escape before I started giggling.

Gorgeous day today and ended up on the Road King going generally that-a-way.  Got within a few miles of someone's place that had said "give a call" if you're ever close by.  So I did.  While there for a pit stop and a nice break he says "come look at my new battery charging rig."  On the walk from the yard to the garage it is explained that his new setup doesn't charge the battery quickly but he's had the bike "parked for weeks and weeks and it still starts right up."

Curious about the interesting rigging he's accomplished I look, then I look again, then I look once more just to make sure.  It's a plug in to the cigarette lighter plug at one end with a cord that has an SAE connector.  That connector is plugged in to the battery tender plug hooked to the battery.  So he's charging the bike's battery from the bike's lighter plug and is very pleased with himself the battery is staying up without ever having to plug a charger in to a wall outlet.  And, yeap, the battery most certainly will stay up for several weeks at a time....  :drink:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Really cool new battery charging system
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:42:43 PM »

Great idea!     :nervous:    :huepfenlol2:    :nervous:    :huepfenlol2:    :nervous:   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:46:13 PM »

Please tell me you weren't in Arkansas, Don!   :o
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:55:05 PM »

I want my time back from actually reading this thread!  Lauwd have mercy, bless his little pea pickin heart.

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 11:22:27 PM »

So he has come up with a perpetual battery charging system that is eco friendly and has no moving parts.  :huepfenlol2:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:39:07 PM »

Had no clue what section to put this post in.  I should have a picture but just had to escape before I started giggling.

Gorgeous day today and ended up on the Road King going generally that-a-way.  Got within a few miles of someone's place that had said "give a call" if you're ever close by.  So I did.  While there for a pit stop and a nice break he says "come look at my new battery charging rig."  On the walk from the yard to the garage it is explained that his new setup doesn't charge the battery quickly but he's had the bike "parked for weeks and weeks and it still starts right up."

Curious about the interesting rigging he's accomplished I look, then I look again, then I look once more just to make sure.  It's a plug in to the cigarette lighter plug at one end with a cord that has an SAE connector.  That connector is plugged in to the battery tender plug hooked to the battery.  So he's charging the bike's battery from the bike's lighter plug and is very pleased with himself the battery is staying up without ever having to plug a charger in to a wall outlet.  And, yeap, the battery most certainly will stay up for several weeks at a time....  :drink:

That is just....amazing ingenuity. Maybe he could try the same thing with a fuel line & never need gas.  For some reason, that made me think of this:

:drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »

Please tell me you weren't in Arkansas, Don!   :o

No Harry, it wasn't an Arkansan.  Was over north of Eureka Springs still in Missouri.  A good Missourian he definitely had to Show Me  :huepfenlol2: .

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:21:32 AM »

I had to know.  Now at least I'll sleep better tonight.

He sounds like the kind of guy that could end up running for president down here.   :P
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:40:28 AM »

I had to know.  Now at least I'll sleep better tonight.

He sounds like the kind of guy that could end up running for president down here.   :P

I'd met the guy while out riding a couple times before.  He's often at a restaurant and bar called The Office over close to Eagle Rock that's a good road side dive worth stopping at while on a ride.  Heluva nice old guy.  May not studying to be an electrical engineer in his retirement; but a heluva nice guy nonetheless.   :drink:

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 01:05:07 AM »

I'd met the guy while out riding a couple times before.  He's often at a restaurant and bar called The Office over close to Eagle Rock that's a good road side dive worth stopping at while on a ride.  Heluva nice old guy.  May not studying to be an electrical engineer in his retirement; but a heluva nice guy nonetheless.   :drink:

Yeah, I hear you, Don.  Being more serious now, I know a lot of people like that.  They'd give you the shirt off your back and go the extra mile for you without thinking.  Most of 'em wouldn't take a dime for helping you out of a jam either.  And some of them have become really good friends of mine and really changed the way I look at people in general.  Never judge a book by it's cover.

Some of the nicest, friendliest, and most hospitable and God-fearing people I've met in all my travels are native Arkansans.  I joke about them, but then I catch it right back in spades from them, too.  It's all in good fun, as even though I'm a damn yankee in their vernacular, they can still see the good old boy in me, too.
Harry

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 06:12:28 PM »

At least if his wife wants to know where he has been, he just says the office.

I have seen those perpetual charging systems before.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.