Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ohlins shocks  (Read 1737 times)

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Ohlins shocks
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:13:31 PM »

I just upgraded to Ohlins shocks prepared by Howard at Motorcycle Metal. What a great guy to deal with. Everything arrived as promised when promised and member discounted. The instructions were very in depth but spot on. The installation went smoothly and the results are amazing. Next up Ohlins cartridges for the front.
I do have a question about alignment. In his instructions I was asked to use a straightedge on the surface of a bolt installed into the lower shock mount and rotate it up to the upper mount. On the right side I was about 3/16 to far inboard and the left side the same amount to far out. I made new spacers taking into account the measurements and the shocks bolted up perfectly flush. My question is how hard is it to get that 3/16 out of it and make the alignment perfect or is there a +- that's allowable. Be SAFE all.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
Re: Ohlins shocks
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:33:11 PM »

I just shimmed both sides the equal amount with stainless steel washers. 

I'm glad you got along with Howard better than I did.  He pushed me to JRI shocks that really suck and ride like a lumber wagon.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:06:35 AM »

I just shimmed both sides the equal amount with stainless steel washers. 

I'm glad you got along with Howard better than I did.  He pushed me to JRI shocks that really suck and ride like a lumber wagon.

Cowboy
Must have been a little while ago. He quit dealing with JRI when they went to overseas production. I called him a few months ago to talk shocks and got an earful about JRI.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Nemosengineer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:23:22 AM »

The reason shock alignment is critical for performance shocks, is the shock eye bushings are not compliant, vertical misalignment can cause binding at the shock eye resulting in a ride that is not as good as it could be, and accelerated wear of the shock eye bushings. As a rule of thumb vertical alignment of racing type shocks (Ohlins, Works, Penske) should be within 1/16" or .062". Here is a photo of a custom shock mount I had to build to correct the shock alignment on my Dyna Glide, this is overkill but its also a part time race bike

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.