Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rinehart and V/H Fulepak Install  (Read 1673 times)

Ride VA

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Rinehart and V/H Fulepak Install
« on: January 01, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »

A while back I posted about Rineharts, Race Tuner and K&N. I was going to let the dealer do the install along with the race tuner but opted for the FuelPak as well as installing them myself.

Thanks to all of the information received from this forum.

They are installed :). I'd almost swear that the stock pipes (Y pipe) had been welded together as that was the most pain in the buttocks piece to remove.

I noted in my mind two things...The installation of the heatshield (front header) is a breeze if you take the right floorboard off until the pipe is installed and the second item is that the screws that mount the FuelPak to the spider mount provided by V&H's are cheap and easily strip.

Other than those two items I am very pleased with the fit and finish of the Rineharts.

After I finished everything I cranked it up. The wife was in the house and after a couple of mild throttle twists I turned it off and went in the house.  The wife told me, " I don't think your going to sneak up on anyone now".

I smiled :)

Thanks again and Happy New Year...CW
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 07:56:34 PM by Ride_VA »

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: Rinehart and V/H Fulepak Install
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 08:43:56 PM »

Congratulations.....it's a boy...  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]   I use a sawz-all on the stock pipes, they come right off.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 12:12:21 AM »

Congratulations.....it's a boy...  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]   I use a sawz-all on the stock pipes, they come right off.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
;D ;D ;D :o I like that idea!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:16:23 AM »

That's one tool that'll git 'er done every time ;D ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 04:37:39 AM »

A while back I posted about Rineharts, Race Tuner and K&N. I was going to let the dealer do the install along with the race tuner but opted for the FuelPak as well as installing them myself.

Thanks to all of the information received from this forum.

They are installed :). I'd almost swear that the stock pipes (Y pipe) had been welded together as that was the most pain in the buttocks piece to remove.

I noted in my mind two things...The installation of the heatshield (front header) is a breeze if you take the right floorboard off until the pipe is installed and the second item [highlight]is that the screws that mount the FuelPak to the spider mount provided by V&H's are cheap and easily strip.[/highlight]
Other than those two items I am very pleased with the fit and finish of the Rineharts.

After I finished everything I cranked it up. The wife was in the house and after a couple of mild throttle twists I turned it off and went in the house.  The wife told me, " I don't think your going to sneak up on anyone now".

I smiled :)

Thanks again and Happy New Year...CW

Funny thing you should mention those screws.I let the dealer install mine because the scoot was in for it's 1000 mile ck up and they said it would be 1hr labor charge.Sooooo I let them install it.One of the bolts that have to come out to mount the spider that attach the ecm to the plastic mount bracket would not come out.The brass insert in the plastic was spinning in the plastic,he wound up drilling the head off the bolt and pulling the insert out of the plastic. They had to order a new plastic mount which they covered under warranty ;D. I would have been pissed if I had been installing it (fuel pak) and it had happened to me.They did say that they have had issues with the ecm attach bolts because HD uses loc tight on the threads and going into a brass insert spells trouble.  

2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 08:50:03 AM »

Funny thing you should mention those screws.I let the dealer install mine because the scoot was in for it's 1000 mile ck up and they said it would be 1hr labor charge.Sooooo I let them install it.One of the bolts that have to come out to mount the spider that attach the ecm to the plastic mount bracket would not come out.The brass insert in the plastic was spinning in the plastic,he wound up drilling the head off the bolt and pulling the insert out of the plastic. They had to order a new plastic mount which they covered under warranty ;D. I would have been pissed if I had been installing it (fuel pak) and it had happened to me.They did say that they have had issues with the ecm attach bolts because HD uses loc tight on the threads and going into a brass insert spells trouble.  

One way to avoid having to replace the mounting bracket is to remove it with the ECM attached and soak the threads from the backside with WD-40 or some other penetrating oil.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:16 AM »

;D ;D ;D :o I like that idea!

I tried to get em off my '04 the proper way, after bout half an hour I grabbed the sawz-all that was layin on the bench and they were off in no time......didn't hesitate on the next bike. ;D

Bagger

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 10:07:48 AM »

I tried to get em off my '04 the proper way, after bout half an hour I grabbed the sawz-all that was layin on the bench and they were off in no time......didn't hesitate on the next bike. ;D

That's one way to get the stock headers off.  I had time on my hands when I did that the first time.  The night before, I removed the heat shields, and soaked every union and clamp with WD40.  Next morning everything slid apart nice and easy.

Ride VA

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 10:27:15 AM »

If I had one I think I would have used it...and I thought I had gotten over the louder sound of the pipes in my old(er) age but after cranking it up that thought disappeared quickly :)

Ride VA

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 10:30:34 AM »

Yep it was tight and I was afraid I was going to strip one of them out as well. The screws to the plastic case on the FulePak are cheap as I ended up using a pair of pliers to screw it down ( soft metal screws) to the spider bracket itself.  Other than that the setup is easy...Now its time to test it out...if I ever get anymore time.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 10:47:43 AM »

That's one way to get the stock headers off.  I had time on my hands when I did that the first time.  The night before, I removed the heat shields, and soaked every union and clamp with WD40.  Next morning everything slid apart nice and easy.

No time on my hands here, not for the SE.  I decided to get the pipes and left for Eastern Performance 2 minutes later, got back with the pipes and started rippin off the old ones.  Guess I really should slow down and think about things more.......or not.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 10:48:53 AM »

If I had one I think I would have used it...and I thought I had gotten over the louder sound of the pipes in my old(er) age but after cranking it up that thought disappeared quickly :)

Specially on this 103", it sounds so good with pipes on it.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 11:09:47 AM »

My thinking and patience level runs along the lines of FR8. . .

Have to admit I would not have thought of it, but I sure will now! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.