Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 18 inch Elite  (Read 1496 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
18 inch Elite
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »

Talked to Dunlop at the Chicago MOCO show and asked about cupping . Explained to me everything I already new. They said they will still cup but the good news is that they will have a 18 inch Elite 3  tire out by August before Sturgis they said. The tread design should eliminate the cupping.     Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: 18 inch Elite
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:34:35 PM »

Sure hope that happens
Most great stores start with a bad decision

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »

Talked to Dunlop at the Chicago MOCO show and asked about cupping . Explained to me everything I already new. They said they will still cup but the good news is that they will have a 18 inch Elite 3  tire out by August before Sturgis they said. The tread design should eliminate the cupping.     Billy

If it was as simple as a tread design change, wouldn't you think they would have done that several years ago rather than make customers put up with crap?  Oh, I just remembered, Harley likes it that way, since they have a lock on the market for replacements, all that cupping just means they make more money selling new tires.  Never mind.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:53:29 PM »

Dunlop is talking about their own version of the Dunlop OEM tire Jerry, so it's not Harley dragging their feet on producing a better tire.

From what I gather, since Dunlop was making the OEM tires for Harley, they probably weren't contractually allowed to produce their own competing tire for x amount of years. I'm guessing by now they can, thus the Elite series, which are copies of the OEM Dunlops but are presumably better.

Hopefully this new Elite rear works out- I'm getting tired of replacing my rear every other summer because of cupping- damn tires have a ton of tread left and only have less than 20,000 miles.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 05:18:28 PM »

Dunlop is talking about their own version of the Dunlop OEM tire Jerry, so it's not Harley dragging their feet on producing a better tire.

From what I gather, since Dunlop was making the OEM tires for Harley, they probably weren't contractually allowed to produce their own competing tire for x amount of years. I'm guessing by now they can, thus the Elite series, which are copies of the OEM Dunlops but are presumably better.

Hopefully this new Elite rear works out- I'm getting tired of replacing my rear every other summer because of cupping- damn tires have a ton of tread left and only have less than 20,000 miles.

Yes, but don't forget that Dunlop designed the H-D branded tire as well.  If the tread design was the problem, they own that problem.  And if they knew it was a problem, they could have gone to H-D and said "we need to redesign the tread to eliminate both the noise issue and the cupping issue".  So while I like to take shots at H-D for profiting from their many quality issues, Dunlop is just as complicit in this as H-D.  And btw, forums for other brands of bikes were full of complaints about the similar Dunlop tires on those bikes.  The stuff they sold to Harley wasn't their first attempt at the design.

Anyway, I hope the Elite version finally solves the problem for all the folks who have been putting up with this for so many years. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »

Whether it's tread design or the compound transition area (causing the cupping), I just hope that I can make the rear on the '09 SERG last until the E3s are available :nervous:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:49:32 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »

The rep at the show showed me that by riding on straight roads that this makes the cupping worse on the Dunlop 407. If you look at the tread on the side the 407 have deeper tread all the way to the side of the tire. The Elites tire will have a tapered tread to the side so the tire should not cup. We will all see by next season. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »

Sure hope that when and if the E3 arrives they last and maybe drive the price down a little on the 18. I know.....stop dreaming.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.