Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fuel with Ethanol vs. Nonethanol  (Read 5720 times)

Tractor Bubba

• Full CVO Member
  • Life's Short - Eat your dessert first!
    • GA

• CVO1: '19 FLHTK Ultra Limited - Silver Flux/Black Fuse
    • CVO2: '14 FLHRSE Road King - Tribal Orange/Galactic Black
Re: Fuel with Ethanol vs. Nonethanol
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »

My personal opinion (only), I choose a 90 octane pure gasoline (114,000 btu/usg) over a
91 or 93 octane ethanol blend (111,500 btu/usg) due to the negative implications of the alcohol
content on the fuel system components. Particularly over the winter (storage) periods when the fuel will sit for longer in the tank, lines, injection system (or carburetor). When I'm riding multiple times per week, I'll use the ethanol blend without worry. Right now, it's the 90 pure fuel as it may take 60 +/- days or more to run a tank through.

Ethanol blends, as a result of the lower energy available per gallon (3%-5% less) will result in poorer fuel economy...in my scoot, the 90 octane pure gas gets around 2-3 mpg better than
93 octane ethanol blend - and I haven't noticed any knocking or pinging. (But then, with all the
top end "clatter" from my 110...how would I know.)

Tractor Bubba
2019 FLFRTK
2014 FLHRSE6

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 11:39:59 PM »

You can't always hear knocking. If it's really bad, you can, but your engine can be knocking without you hearing it. Only the Delphi ECM ion sensing can tell you for sure if your engine is knocking if you don't hear anything.

My engine has never knocked, regardless of what gas I have run in it. I always use Premium (93 octane), regardless of the ethanol content (up to 10%... E10), and it runs fine. Every new vehicle since the early 90s can run on 10% ethanol with no problems. Now, E15 is a different kettle of fish, but the EPA has backed off on that because of the industry uproar.

I have run no-eth premium (93 octane) when I can find it, but I have no interest in tracking my MPG so precisely as to ever have noticed any difference. Those who have ridden with me can attest to my riding habits not being very compatible with optimizing MPG anyway!

And who really cares about 2 MPG, anyway? Did you buy your Harley for fuel economy? I sure didn't. If you're focusing on maximum fuel economy when you ride, you're doing it wrong!

I have a boat as well, with a Volvo Penta 5.7GXi stern drive. I never run anything but premium (93 octane) with ethanol treatment in it, and it runs fine. I would never run AvGas 110LL because it contains lead... which will fry your O2 sensors, and your cat if you still have one. And Harley engines don't need anywhere near 110 octane to be happy... so you're really wasting money there. Same with 90 octane rec fuel... I don't even use that in my boat, much less my Harley! Again, it's a waste of money. It sells for up to $1 per gallon more than Premium where I live. In a boat with a 70 gallon tank, it gets pricey for no apparent gain. A $10 bottle of Seafoam or Sta-Bil dumped in the fuel tank after each fill up cures any ethanol problem.

Just fill up with Premium, and RIDE!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:36 AM »

Roger that Ken...  I don't ride very hard but since I had one so close just didn't know if it would help with wear and tear over the long haul.  Really appreciate the feedback from all of you and the information that is helping me get through the rookie rider issues faster.

Take care...

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »

Those who have ridden with me can attest to my riding habits not being very compatible with optimizing MPG anyway!

And who really cares about 2 MPG, anyway? Did you buy your Harley for fuel economy? I sure didn't. If you're focusing on maximum fuel economy when you ride, you're doing it wrong!

Ken

Roger dat amigo. The only time I ride easy and try and maximize milage is when I think I'm about to run dry and I worry about making the next two miles to the gas station.

stealth

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »

On a recent trip I tried running 91 non-eth. My main objective was to see if it would run a little cooler. I did not notice a difference in mpg or heat, but under passing acceleration I did get a subtle ping, had to listen hard to hear it. Changed at the next stop back to 93 eth, no ping.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »

:-\
Assuming you ride often enough that your scoot is not sitting for months on end,  the 10% blend will work OK.  However,  for your less often used items like your trimmer,  chainsaw, blower, emergency generator, boat motors, etc.   You would best be served using non-ethenol gas and adding some Stabil to boot. :cherry:

Recently had to spend extra bucks on my Stihl blower as the carb was all fu**ed up due to ethenol fuel that ate up some component in there that was not designed to be exposed to that crap.......... :-X

stealth

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »

On a recent trip I tried running 91 non-eth. My main objective was to see if it would run a little cooler since ethanol burns hotter. I did not notice a difference in mpg or heat, but under passing acceleration I did get a subtle ping, had to listen hard to hear it. Changed at the next stop back to 93 eth, no ping.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.