Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can 2015 cvo street glide lowered  (Read 4073 times)

lnadler

can 2015 cvo street glide lowered
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »

I like a street glide, but would like the rear lowered. Anyone with a cvo street glide and a lowered rear? How? 944 shocks ?
Thanks

BITCHIN BAGGER

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

Re: can 2015 cvo street glide lowered
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »

I BOUGHT A SET OF AIR SHOCKS AND SENT THEM TO BITCHIN BAGGERS AND HAD 12" SHOCKS TAKEN DOWN TO 11". ALSO DROPED FRONT A INCH.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »

I like a street glide, but would like the rear lowered. Anyone with a cvo street glide and a lowered rear? How? 944 shocks ?
Thanks

You can lower it just like you can any other bike, there isn't anything special about it.  The more important question is should you lower it.  The bike is already lowered an inch in the rear, and lowering it more is going to have adverse affects on ground clearance, cornering clearance, ride quality, and if you go too far you can damage important stuff.  What's the reason for lowering it?  If you're just trying to look cool like those bikes in the mags with the rear fender dragging the ground, that's fine if you're just planning to trailer the bike to shows, but not so fine if you intend to ride much.  In that case, ask the guys like Puzzled about an air system that lets you lower the bike for show, but jack it back up for actual riding.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »

Jerry makes a valid point as demonstrated by Jonga on one of our rides.  Keeping up with the group, in a curve and his floorboard mounts scraped, back tire lost traction and slammed him into the mountain side.  Fortunately for him, it was very soft dirt and so just road rash.  His bike didn't fare as well.  Pics are posted on this forum somewhere, but he'd be the first one to caution you against lowering other than the air ride (raised up to full position when riding, lowered when he stops because he's so short).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »

that and the floor board extensions. The floorboard will fold up but if you drag the support arm :ons_4:

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 12:29:27 PM »

You can lower it just like you can any other bike, there isn't anything special about it.  The more important question is should you lower it.  The bike is already lowered an inch in the rear, and lowering it more is going to have adverse affects on ground clearance, cornering clearance, ride quality, and if you go too far you can damage important stuff.  What's the reason for lowering it?  If you're just trying to look cool like those bikes in the mags with the rear fender dragging the ground, that's fine if you're just planning to trailer the bike to shows, but not so fine if you intend to ride much.  In that case, ask the guys like Puzzled about an air system that lets you lower the bike for show, but jack it back up for actual riding.

JMHO - Jerry

Exactly!  Adjustable ride height on the fly is necessary.  Not lowered all the time in other words.
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Ultra Violet Blue/Lava Orange
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:48:57 AM »

OP have you decided what route you will take to lower your rear end?
Also, Does anyone know what's the measured  stock shock on the CVO street glide from Eye to Eye?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:50:52 AM by plustiano »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »

OP have you decided what route you will take to lower your rear end?
Also, Does anyone know what's the measured  stock shock on the CVO street glide from Eye to Eye?

12"

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Ultra Violet Blue/Lava Orange
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »

riverdave

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »

Hello all, I'm new here and thought it may be useful info to share my rear suspension choice. I too wanted to take my 2015 street glide cvo even lower than the stock 12 inch shock. After much research here and elsewhere, I went with 11 inch shocks from JRI. I only have about 1K miles on them  but I am very pleased so far. The company worked with me to get the best initial set up and the shocks' spring (preload) is adjustable as well as the rebound / damper. Adjustments are easy if needed. The bike sits a bit lower than stock suspension and is set up to lower another .5 inch with rider sag. I feel the ride is mostly as good or better than the stock shocks but as everyone has already mentioned, there is a trade off with such a short shock and a possibility of bottoming out mainly with 2 up riding, bike loaded, etc. but the shocks can be adjusted to compansate for most
of this. This is probably not the best choice for all, but works well for me.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.