Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CB Antenna Wiring and CB Radio Noise  (Read 961 times)

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic
CB Antenna Wiring and CB Radio Noise
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »

Hi All,

I recently got the J&M Headset put in my helmet so I can now actually hear the Audio products on the bike.  I got the S-Plugs and the earphone plug option from J&M on the lower cord.  Anyway, while putting on the adjustable TourPak kit I found that the CB Antenna coax was very loose.  I also figured out that the AM/FM antenna was installed on the CB post (argh!!!).  Then I found a ground wire coming off the base of the CB antenna mount just laying under the steel plate in the bottom of my TourPak.  So I attached the ground wire to the steel plate.  I then got lots of noise from the CB radio that sounded like spark ignition noise (without the motor running!).  When I start the motor, the noise gets louder. 

So my questions are:
1) Should this ground wire be connected to the steel plate or left laying in the bottom of the TP?  I would have thought any ground plane would be better than no ground plane....
2) Is there a way to adjust SWR on this CB (I have a meter that I haven't used since the 70's) and does it even matter?
3) Is the noise normal?

Thanks!
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
Re: CB Antenna Wiring and CB Radio Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:09:12 PM »

1) yes
2) no
3) no

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic
Re: CB Antenna Wiring and CB Radio Noise
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:55 AM »

Thanks SteveFLHTK. 
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 25 queries.